Turn on thread page Beta

Can I claim expenses for a damaged hard disk due the building shaking? watch

    • Thread Starter


    I've recently found myself in a spot of bother, the place where I live isn't fantastic when it comes to the stability of the building; with things like even slight wind, passing trains and the demolition work over the road, the building shakes quite a lot, and I'm concerned as to the effect this is having on my PC. Its a desktop and I've already had two hard disk failures since moving in here and I've switched my operating system to use a solid state disk to prevent it taking out the entire system like it did last year.
    But I still use two mechanical drives, with a lot of work on them, because solid state disks are expensive, and I'm already spotting the first signs of failure in one drive.

    I frankly don't think the building is stable; structural cracks have started appearing on the building and smaller cracks are showing inside my room (I'm on the 6th floor)

    I'm wondering if I can claim anything back from my landlord regarding this if my drive does fail again and I can prove the drive failure was due to excessive vibrations because of their shoddy building. (they're also the ones who've bought the land that the demolition work is being conducted on) regardless of the answer I have backed up data, but I can't afford to lose another drive.
    Someone has compared it to a small earthquake when one of the demolition wreckers even moves.

    For those who were wondering, no I didn't book a viewing because I had had surgery at the time, i wasn't to know the trains or the vibrations in the building were going to be an issue.

    You don't have a leg to stand on because you didn't view the place first and that's exactly what a landlord will tell you.
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    Highly unlikely. Youd have to prove he had a legal obligation and also the vibration was directly responsible for your HDD failure, which could be anything. He would laugh it off unless you meant business and took him to court. You are better off either moving or doing what you cna to make your pc more vibration resistant.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    Yes, in theory the vibration can cause damage to the drives. The issue is proving that the vibration caused damage to the drives and therefore warrants any compensation. How can you guarantee that your drives didn't just come from a bad batch? How can you guarantee that damage wasn't caused elsewhere? It's going to be very difficult to prove that vibrations are damaging the drives and even if you do, the landlord can claim you were being negligent by moving in and not checking the building out (even though it's not necessarily your fault). Even if you can somehow prove it the legal battle and fees likely aren't going to be worth the value of your drives.

    I'd be more concerned with the building apparently not being stable than my hard drives though.
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.