Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP ME. PS for IR, IR + Anthropology, IR + Politics, and possibly PPE? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oxford University - Philosophy, Politics and Economics (POSSIBLY APPLYING FOR THE HELL OF IT - don't really want to do PPE)
    Warwick University - Politics and International Studies (FIRST CHOICE)
    Sussex University - International Relations and Anthropology (SECOND CHOICE)
    Sheffield University - International Relations and Politics
    Exeter University - International Relations

and one/two others?

How the hell am I supposed to write a PS for these courses. Please help me someone. I am trying but I can't come up with anything coherant.

Here are my notes;
    PEOPLE, Globalisation, Ideology and Worldviews, Perception
    In my choice of degree applications I was looking for an approach to political, economic and social subjects from a broadly less ethnocentric perspective.
    Anthropology, Politics, Development and International Relations
    History, Government and Politics, Economics at A-level
    Psychology at AS-level
    English Lit/Lang at AS-level???
    Philosophy as A/S in evening classes (and at A2 through college)
    Russia History and Politics Trip - St. Petersburg and Moscow
    Ireland History and Politics Trip - Dublin and Belfast
    Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award (just about)
    Debating Soc.
    In my sixth-form studies, I have enjoyed looking at various topics with the different ‘hats’ of my various A-level subjects. Creative thinker – links, context, analysis.
    Limitations of Politics – Comparative Politics and the British Political System hold little interest for me.
    unwilling to take a degree which constrains me to a particular way of thinking – I would rather examine issues from a variety of different perspectives than examine them in an intellectual vacuum, devoid of context.
    I don’t just want to understand political issues, I want to understand their roots and causes, the impact they have on the global economy, finance, business, and the ideas, perception, and worldviews of individuals and societies.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you really want to apply for PPE? Thats quite a variety of subjects so I imagine thats going to be a very difficult PS to write. Perhaps concentrate on writing about the areas which you are certainley interested in (ie International Relations). Are you sure their isn't anywhere else that you want to apply that does IR and politics such as LSE?

To be fair the subjects do fit together quite nicely (for example International Studes and Politics are closely related, from Politics you could say Economics is quite closely linked etc.) and you've got quite a lot to work with their in terms of both academic achievements and extra-curricular activities.

The best thing to do is get started (which is also the hardest part :rolleyes: ) and perhaps get people on here to look at your first draft so that way we'll have somthing to work from when giving you advice.

Also you want to make sure you really are applying for the right course.

( I should really be writing my own PS right now instead of talking to other people about theirs :rolleyes: )

Hope thats been of some help!

ReputationRep:
    Scrap the PPE - that's my outstanding impression.

LSE and St Andrews (I think it may be joint honours at St.A though) offer decent IR courses - if you can tolerate either location that is.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Scrap the PPE - that's my outstanding impression.

LSE and St Andrews (I think it may be joint honours at St.A though) offer decent IR courses - if you can tolerate either location that is.
    If you are not absolutely certain about the PPE course, the interviewers will winkle this out of you in two minutes flat!
    A passion for the particular course is vital for an Oxford offer in PPE (along with pretty good GCSE's, AAAA to AABB at A/S and predicted AAA! :eek: ) If you can make your statement sound passionate about the aspects of the course that overlap with the others you want to apply for, without putting off your other choices, then it's worth a try - but don't do it just because you think you ought to try for Oxford.
    As an addition, looking at the originator of this thread - it looks as though you do not have A/S or A2 Maths - that would be a disadvantage for the Economics side of things

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.