Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A few of the chain restaurants in my area (a top 10 UK city) have a minority of English people working in them, including the one I used to work in which was s/e euro dominated.

Is this a nationwide problem or indeed is it anything new?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about chain restaurants, which I think are only employing whoever is a cheap hire, but I have never (but never ever) seen white or black staff in any capacity at an Indian restaurant. I can see that cooking the food is a skilled business that might require sponsoring a visa but waiting on tables surely is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngloIndoCrew)
    A few of the chain restaurants in my area (a top 10 UK city) have a minority of English people working in them, including the one I used to work in which was s/e euro dominated.

Not all of them.
    Most of the big ones I've been to have had English people working there.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know where you live but around here most of the better restaurants are Greek or Chinese types of food and all tend to be family run. It's not about being anti-English just happen to be a family.

ReputationRep:
    Restaurant jobs require a person to be on their feet for the majority of the shift, which is quite demanding when you're doing 10+ hour shifts (I speak from experience). They aren't so much anti-English, but anti-lazy people, which excludes a lot of Brits.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngloIndoCrew)

I am (British) Chinese and my parents have always owned a takeaway, and run it. But in each takeaway they had owned, most of our Counter Assistants have been English.

My Brother in Law owns a Chinese restaurant on a lease (ends this year) but due to it's location (in a tiny village in Warwickshire), it is extremely difficult to find Chinese workers, especially waiters and waitresses and that is why he doesn't have a choice but to hire English waiters and waitresses. Then the customers state obvious - 'But wait a minute, you're not Chinese?!'

Have you been to Chinatown in either Manchester, Liverpool or Birmingham?
    You will find most staff in those places to be, well...Chinese (expect it really)!
    It is simply all about authenticity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.