Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So my MacBook Air got water damaged and I needed a new laptop urgently for uni. After scanning eBay for two days I bought a 2011 refurbished MacBook Pro, 13.3", i7, 2.7ghz, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD for £600. Although the specs are pretty impressive the fact it's a 2011 is making me a bit skeptical. I was going to buy 2013/14 MacBook air's for the same price but they were mostly i3 128gb ssd's. Think I've made a mistake?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Your MBP's processor actually performs slightly better than the one in the mid-2013 Macbook Air. The graphics chip is worse though. With the pro you've got the ability to add more RAM and even a second hard drive if you want, so overall you're probably a tiny bit better off.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR1995)
    Although the specs are pretty impressive
    You've bought a six year old laptop, I don't think impressive is the right word. An i7 sounds great on paper but the technology that made early i7s special has filtered down on and and been improved upon and this one now sits in a similar performance window to modern i3s and low voltage i5s, 8GB of RAM is becoming standard in most laptops with Core Series CPUs, and a £250GB SSD has become an upgrade that can run you as little as £60 on Amazon. 6 years of battery use has probably run that into the ground too.

That being said, at the time it was released that would have been a very substantial laptop and, assuming you're only using it for basic stuff, performance should be snappy enough to satisfy. As long as it's in good operational condition and you don't expect too much of it, it should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    Well Macs are known to last a lot. You haven't made a mistake on that part but 600 sounds a bit too much for me. I woulda paid 400-500.

ReputationRep:
    This makes me happy, means I can sell my 2012 15" for quite a bit more once I've saved a million pounds for the new versions 😭

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.