Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCRsilver)
    Anyone heard anything on funding? A French student got an international one from the Cambridge trust, no one else from this MPhil on the list yet.
    I'm a UK student and got one from Cambridge Trust at the start of April, I think they let people know up until July.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=midlandeast;71582986]I'm a UK student and got one from Cambridge Trust at the start of April, I think they let people know up until July.[/QUOTEh]

Hey great news! Are you doing MPhil Finance? Funding for economics dept mphils seems to be pretty thin.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=DCRsilver;71583092]
    (Original post by midlandeast)
    I'm a UK student and got one from Cambridge Trust at the start of April, I think they let people know up until July.[/QUOTEh]

Hey great news! Are you doing MPhil Finance? Funding for economics dept mphils seems to be pretty thin.
    Yeah, had to withdraw my F&E app for the Finance offer. There's still a load of general scholarships so hopefully you'll hear from them in the next few months. Have you tried applying for scholarships at your college?

ReputationRep:
    Hope all offer holders turned them to unconditionnal ones. I'm considering applying for the 2017/2018 academic year, and would appreciate some information regarding the admission process. Mainly how important work experience is, how can i streghten my application, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stigman_17)
    Hope all offer holders turned them to unconditionnal ones. I'm considering applying for the 2017/2018 academic year, and would appreciate some information regarding the admission process. Mainly how important work experience is, how can i streghten my application, etc...
    Work experience is low on the list for these MPhils. There's not much space on the application form as it is for your statements. Do mention anything relevant however, eg I interned with the Govenrment Economic Service so I mentioned briefly the econometrics I applied. Just remember these aren't highly career focused master's like at London Business School, so keep it geeky :-)

Keep it very academic, sound like a wannabe PhD, be specific on topics you want to learn from reading the module descriptions.

Also choose you college choices carefully because there are a ton of scholarships handled privately be each college that you need to apply for separately from your main application (which will automatically put you forward for the main funding stuff as long as you apply before January 2018).

Also, you gotta have/be on course for a 1:1 and have 1sts in all quantitative/econometric modules. So take as many as you can and smash them. Avoid essay type stuff. I've never known anyone to be accepted to these MPhils with a 2:1.
    Not being snobby, I was sent a document in July from the econ dept describing all the math we need to know and examples of what we'll be covering in the pre-math course. Trust me, it's hardcore. Ive been studying everyday already and the course hasn't even started yet.

Next you need strong references. Don't try to get a senior reference from the Head of whatever if they don't know you well. A glowing reference from a junior professor who knows you is far better.

Finally, apply early! Applications open in just a couple weeks. Decide on your references promptly and discuss with them honestly it can't be some five min rush job. You need their serious attention. They will be asked to indicate your class ranking too, so make sure they don't get lazy here. If you're top 5% you're golden.

Expect about a 3 month wait before hearing back. My offer is for MPhil F&E but I think the same applies for MPhil F. I applied Sep 2016 and offer arrived mid jan 2017.

Hope this helps, it's as specific as I can get it and is exactly how I did things.
    Best of luck! Cambridge is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCRsilver)
    Work experience is low on the list for these MPhils. There's not much space on the application form as it is for your statements. Do mention anything relevant however, eg I interned with the Govenrment Economic Service so I mentioned briefly the econometrics I applied. Just remember these aren't highly career focused master's like at London Business School, so keep it geeky :-)

Keep it very academic, sound like a wannabe PhD, be specific on topics you want to learn from reading the module descriptions.

Also choose you college choices carefully because there are a ton of scholarships handled privately be each college that you need to apply for separately from your main application (which will automatically put you forward for the main funding stuff as long as you apply before January 2018).

Also, you gotta have/be on course for a 1:1 and have 1sts in all quantitative/econometric modules. So take as many as you can and smash them. Avoid essay type stuff. I've never known anyone to be accepted to these MPhils with a 2:1.
    Not being snobby, I was sent a document in July from the econ dept describing all the math we need to know and examples of what we'll be covering in the pre-math course. Trust me, it's hardcore. Ive been studying everyday already and the course hasn't even started yet.

Next you need strong references. Don't try to get a senior reference from the Head of whatever if they don't know you well. A glowing reference from a junior professor who knows you is far better.

Finally, apply early! Applications open in just a couple weeks. Decide on your references promptly and discuss with them honestly it can't be some five min rush job. You need their serious attention. They will be asked to indicate your class ranking too, so make sure they don't get lazy here. If you're top 5% you're golden.

Expect about a 3 month wait before hearing back. My offer is for MPhil F&E but I think the same applies for MPhil F. I applied Sep 2016 and offer arrived mid jan 2017.

Hope this helps, it's as specific as I can get it and is exactly how I did things.
    Best of luck! Cambridge is amazing.
    Thank you so much for the detailed reply.
    My biggest concern is one you already mentionned, which is a 1st in quantitative subjects, especially in my 1st year. Coming from a relatively no-so-mathy french baccalaureate to economics at Warwick has been a nightmare in my first year, so i scored very low in maths/stats. In my second year, i had a low 2:1 in Econometrics even though i thought i'd get a 1st at the end, but the exam was *****y for me, to say the least. In my third year, i scored an overall 76% with 82 in principles of finance, 75 in financial economics, 81 in mathematical economics and 89 in Topics in economic theory (which may not sound so quantitative, but it was really just maths all along).
    Even with a 1st from Warwick, i won't be surprised if i didnt get an offer. After all, its cambridge, so they obviously accept the best.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am finishing my BSc in Operation Research from Southampton this year with a predicted GPA of around 91%. I've got an International Mathematics Olympiad medal a couple of years ago. I am doing a summer internship research for two professors and will likely to get great recommendation letters. Would I stand a chance to get funding from Oxford/Cambridge/LSE. I am an international student by the way. Thank you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.