Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's come to the point where the bin is just getting really full and no one bothers taking it out.

I want to suggest creating a bin rota for the 6 of us to make it fair.

There is the main bin and also the recycling that needs taking out.

How do i go about creating a rota for this? Anyone got examples to show? - It needs to be fair and without any hiccups to avoid people taking advantage.

Many thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelloMr)
    It's come to the point where the bin is just getting really full and no one bothers taking it out.

I want to suggest creating a bin rota for the 6 of us to make it fair.

There is the main bin and also the recycling that needs taking out.

How do i go about creating a rota for this? Anyone got examples to show? - It needs to be fair and without any hiccups to avoid people taking advantage.

Many thanks
    A rota may not encourage people if they are already lazy about doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly the lazy people are just going to ignore the rota and others will likely just forget.

Chances are this rota and you telling people to stick to it is just going to cause tension in the flat and they'll end up telling you to stop nagging them and thinking you're the boss. Because people sometimes just cannot handle being asked to do their fair bit.

Sometimes when living with other people you just have to accept there are going to be unfair things like this.

I'd recommend bringing up the idea of a rota and seeing how they respond, but if they're not enthusiastic about it you may as well just drop it. Because it won't help if they don't care.

ReputationRep:
    I would just bring it up with them all together at the same time then if they go for it then work out the details then. The chances are there will maybe one or two who aren't interested in the idea and won't do it. One way is to get people on board is to everyone just stop doing it they will soon moan about it and do it then

ReputationRep:
    It'll work for a week or two and then people won't care.

If you want to try it you can decide how often the bin needs doing (e.g. every monday and friday or something) and then just write names in for each of those dates making sure everyone gets equal turns. Some people will get unlucky and have to take out everyone's pizza boxes and stuff one day and so on but you can't control the volume of rubbish.

Alternatively you can just write everyone's names and people tick/cross when they've taken the bins out, then if it says:
    Sam x x x x x x x
    Adam x
    then you know Adam is being an ******* and can all have a go at him. Some people aren't trying to be difficult they just don't realise how little they're doing and this can prompt them.

Likelihood is that neither option makes any dfference. My experience is that you just need to decide whether you care more about not having an overflowing bin (in which case you just empty it yourself, it's a 5 min job a couple of times a week) or being 'fair' (in which case you empty it once then point blank refuse to do so until other people pull their weight) and go from there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.