Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So I just recently did some mocks and have received the results for the majority of them. My aspirations are to get 4-7 A* in the real GCSE results.
    Maths: A* /Level 8
    English: B/Level 6
    Biology: B/A
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A ( very close to A*)
    History: A
    Business Studies: A*
    Religious Studies: A*
    Spanish: D (really didn't do well here)
    Product Design: Still to receive but confident I got A+

So that's about it. I don't have the time or energy to write predicted grades next to what I actually received but they are all A* or A (no B). I need advice on the subjects which I haven't done so well in (like Spanish and English). Also, how did others do?

I am not too pleased with this set of results but I am not the kind of guy to take anything for granted anyways and I will study very hard to boost my grades. Feel free to ask anything or just share your thoughts!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moltenmo)
    So I just recently did some mocks and have received the results for the majority of them. My aspirations are to get 4-7 A* in the real GCSE results.

So that's about it. I don't have the time or energy to write predicted grades next to what I actually received but they are all A* or A (no B). I need advice on the subjects which I haven't done so well in (like Spanish and English). Also, how did others do?

I am not too pleased with this set of results but I am not the kind of guy to take anything for granted anyways and I will study very hard to boost my grades. Feel free to ask anything or just share your thoughts!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would say you should be very proud of your mock results. I haven't done as well as you. (not even close haha, the highest I got was A 7 in English language and I assume I got a very good score in the literature because well I just find English easy. Anyway, the rest of my grades were C or below.) I think if you had all A* in the mocks (one of my friends did barring the 7 she got in English language) then you wouldn't know how to improve and you would probably get complacent which is what can happen to a lot of people.

My best advice would be to just work on making your grades as high as possible and repeat whatever you did for the mocks in your real exams. I do French, but tips for Spanish may be to immerse yourself in the culture more. Read books, watch films that are Spanish. Even set your phone to Spanish (I did this with French and it's not actually a bad idea haha)

Anyways, good luck for your exams!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are the indivdual marks you got in maths? I GOT 36 78 78 (192/240) and got an 8
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isthatleo)
    I would say you should be very proud of your mock results. I haven't done as well as you. (not even close haha, the highest I got was A 7 in English language and I assume I got a very good score in the literature because well I just find English easy. Anyway, the rest of my grades were C or below.) I think if you had all A* in the mocks (one of my friends did barring the 7 she got in English language) then you wouldn't know how to improve and you would probably get complacent which is what can happen to a lot of people.

My best advice would be to just work on making your grades as high as possible and repeat whatever you did for the mocks in your real exams. I do French, but tips for Spanish may be to immerse yourself in the culture more. Read books, watch films that are Spanish. Even set your phone to Spanish (I did this with French and it's not actually a bad idea haha)

Anyways, good luck for your exams!
    Thank you very much for that reply. Also, very well done on getting 7 in English. I think you know what you need to do to get A*. Just keep on putting in the effort and I am sure you will do really well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    my teachers all said to me when I was in year 11 (last year) that you will go up AT LEAST one grade from mocks in your actual gcses- obviously the more work you put in, the higher the grade will be in the end.

To improve on Spanish (I didn't take Spanish but did do French and German and got 2 A*s) I would recommend downloading an app called memrise and find the vocab list for your spec (AQA/edexcel etc) and start working through all the vocab learning- really the only way to improve in languages is to learn as much vocab as possible. Closer to the time do lots of past papers etc, but all you need to be doing at the moment is vocab!

I don't know if you did an English langauge or an English Literature mock, but I would say english lang is just a matter of good time management and work out the structure of each question before the exam and practice!! For English lit I did a lot of my revision through Youtube (e.g. Mr Bruff) which I found really helpful

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for that reply. Also, very well done on getting 7 in English. I think you know what you need to do to get A*. Just keep on putting in the effort and I am sure you will do really well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much! Now I just need to improve on the other 1U, 4D's and 2C'S I've got -.-
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacobusargentum)
    What are the indivdual marks you got in maths? I GOT 36 78 78 (192/240) and got an 8
    I did the Edexcel Summer mock exam but I got 50 65 and 64 which is 179/240. This was an 8 which and was set by my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tea2345)
    my teachers all said to me when I was in year 11 (last year) that you will go up AT LEAST one grade from mocks in your actual gcses- obviously the more work you put in, the higher the grade will be in the end.

To improve on Spanish (I didn't take Spanish but did do French and German and got 2 A*s) I would recommend downloading an app called memrise and find the vocab list for your spec (AQA/edexcel etc) and start working through all the vocab learning- really the only way to improve in languages is to learn as much vocab as possible. Closer to the time do lots of past papers etc, but all you need to be doing at the moment is vocab!

I don't know if you did an English langauge or an English Literature mock, but I would say english lang is just a matter of good time management and work out the structure of each question before the exam and practice!! For English lit I did a lot of my revision through Youtube (e.g. Mr Bruff) which I found really helpful
    I did both English Language and Literature. 6 was the average grade of both. Mr.Bruff is brilliant. I will definitely check out memrise! Thank you for the advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isthatleo)
    Thank you very much! Now I just need to improve on the other 1U, 4D's and 2C'S I've got -.-
    Trust me...If you believe you can boost those grades then you will!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacobusargentum)
    Omg your paper 2 and 3 results are AMAZING. What happened in paper 1??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DD2508)
    Yeah I noticed this. Are you sure this isn't a percentage lmao? Cause 78/80 is crazy good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on a fantastic set of mock results! You should be extremely proud of yourself
    Just make sure that you continue to work hard and you will do excellently in your GCSEs. Also ensure that you know where you went wrong in the subjects you feel you underperformed in by getting feedback your teachers, and use this time to reflect on your revision methods - what went well, what would you like to change between now and May?

For Spanish, the most important aspect is the tenses - if you don't know them you will struggle in the subjects, and if you know them it will even allow you to make educated guesses in the listening and reading exams just because you can rule out certain options, and there is an obvious advantage in the speaking and writing exams too! Once you are confident on your tenses, remember to go over them often as they are quite easy to forget For vocab, there are many sites out there that you can use - my favourite was Memrise, which is something I wish I used in Year 10 and earlier on in Year 11. There may be a vocab section specifically for your course, and they combine these words in 'games' which forces you to memorise the vocab. It may sound silly but you can add your classmates on there to add a bit of healthy competition - it motivates you a lot more than you think when you see their names higher up on the leaderboard :lol:

I don't have many tips for English but what I found worked for me was looking at youtube channels such as Mr Bruff and Mr Salles Teaches English. They have videos for pretty much every theme, character, chapter etc. Mr Bruff also writes ebooks but I never purchased one so I can't comment on the usefulness. I bought revision guides for each of my texts and combined the information from them and the videos to make flashcards for each character and theme (often linking characters to themes as this is really useful for the exams). Remember to include quotes in your revision material as it is vital for you to know a selection that can be applied to any question - you must support your points with quotes as evidence in your answer otherwise you get awarded a very low mark.

Hope this helps a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DD2508)
    I panicked.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Congratulations on a fantastic set of mock results! You should be extremely proud of yourself
    Just make sure that you continue to work hard and you will do excellently in your GCSEs. Also ensure that you know where you went wrong in the subjects you feel you underperformed in by getting feedback your teachers, and use this time to reflect on your revision methods - what went well, what would you like to change between now and May?

For Spanish, the most important aspect is the tenses - if you don't know them you will struggle in the subjects, and if you know them it will even allow you to make educated guesses in the listening and reading exams just because you can rule out certain options, and there is an obvious advantage in the speaking and writing exams too! Once you are confident on your tenses, remember to go over them often as they are quite easy to forget For vocab, there are many sites out there that you can use - my favourite was Memrise, which is something I wish I used in Year 10 and earlier on in Year 11. There may be a vocab section specifically for your course, and they combine these words in 'games' which forces you to memorise the vocab. It may sound silly but you can add your classmates on there to add a bit of healthy competition - it motivates you a lot more than you think when you see their names higher up on the leaderboard :lol:

I don't have many tips for English but what I found worked for me was looking at youtube channels such as Mr Bruff and Mr Salles Teaches English. They have videos for pretty much every theme, character, chapter etc. Mr Bruff also writes ebooks but I never purchased one so I can't comment on the usefulness. I bought revision guides for each of my texts and combined the information from them and the videos to make flashcards for each character and theme (often linking characters to themes as this is really useful for the exams). Remember to include quotes in your revision material as it is vital for you to know a selection that can be applied to any question - you must support your points with quotes as evidence in your answer otherwise you get awarded a very low mark.

Hope this helps a little
    Thanks for replying! Looks like memrise is definitely the way to go. I have arranged to talk about my English paper with my English teacher so hopefully that should help to explain where I went wrong (although I am fairly confident it was on the creative writing section which I essentially wrote garbage for).

As for Spanish, I am afraid that bad grade was due to my negligence towards this subject. Having revised 0 hours for this, I think this is the grade I deserved. I have begun to do past papers for Spanish (although one may argue that this is a bit early). The words which I don't recognise in those past papers, I highlight and find the definition of.

I really hope I achieve good grades for the real thing now but I am sure that with the attitude I have towards learning and revision, I am more than capable! (lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.