• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

GCSE Maths Help and Chat Thread

This thread is for current Year 10 and Year 11 students taking Maths or Further Maths. If you have any questions or you're stuck on something, you can post in here and other GCSE students will be here to help as well as some members who are doing their A Levels or a degree. You can also chat in here about how you're finding studying Maths, revision techniques, whatever!

If you don't get an answer to your question or it gets lost in the thread, please create a separate thread in the Maths forum with a clear title and ask the question there so it's more visible.

Rules
    • Try to keep the discussion *mainly* focused around Maths
    • Do not post full solutions to people's questions
    • Please post your working out and try to make your questions as clear as possible

Useful Links

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Just introducing myself here in this thread
    I'm currently in Year 12 studying Maths and Further Maths at A Level, so if anyone has any questions I (along with many others, I'm sure) will be happy to help. I don't mind if you want to tag me in posts you make here if you want help straight away, but I'll generally be hovering around and will help where I feel able

Have fun studying Maths!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Just tagging some people who may want to ask GCSE maths questions and discuss the upcoming GCSE exam with others in a similar position

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    I'm currently in Year 12 studying Maths and Further Maths at A Level, so if anyone has any questions I (along with many others, I'm sure) will be happy to help. I don't mind if you want to tag me in posts you make here if you want help straight away, but I'll generally be hovering around and will help where I feel able

Have fun studying Maths!
    hi, i really need to go from a grade D to B in maths how do i do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misaki24)
    hi, i really need to go from a grade D to B in maths how do i do it?
    Practice.

You should start by identifying why you're losing marks, by looking through your end-of-topic tests, and any mocks that you may have done, and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    There is so much content and it feels so overwhelming and as though I'll never be able to cover everything in the amount of detailed required, especially considering I have to balance it all with other subjects. Any advice for ensuring effective and balanced revision that accounts for all areas of the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    There is so much content and it feels so overwhelming and as though I'll never be able to cover everything in the amount of detailed required, especially considering I have to balance it all with other subjects. Any advice for ensuring effective and balanced revision that accounts for all areas of the course?
    are you talking about maths or science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    are you talking about maths or science?
    Maths, but honestly science too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    Maths, but honestly science too.
    you seem a bit unorganised, try making a revision timetable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    you seem a bit unorganised, try making a revision timetable
    Aha. I'm not unorganised at all, that's a bit assumptive. I have a revision timetable already and am revising every day, it's just a perfectionist streak that always seems to make me believe I'm not doing enough.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm the only one enjoying the new GCSE. It just seems to fall to my strengths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    I think I'm the only one enjoying the new GCSE. It just seems to fall to my strengths.
    You're not the only one, I like it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    I'm finding myself bored a lot of the time, with the new spec, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the edexcel 2017 PPE paper mark schemes they could send to me? My teacher isn't checking his emails because its half term and theres no other way I can get them .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)

Have fun studying Maths!
    Hi there. You must be very good at maths, and I'm grateful that you are willing to help those of us who need help. I feel that I don't read questions properly and lose marks because if this, and I want tips on how to tackle problem solving questions, as there will be a lot of these in the exam. Thanks. (I'm doing GCSE maths)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zonyali123)
    Hi there. You must be very good at maths, and I'm grateful that you are willing to help those of us who need help. I feel that I don't read questions properly and lose marks because if this, and I want tips on how to tackle problem solving questions, as there will be a lot of these in the exam. Thanks. (I'm doing GCSE maths)
    Do you feel that it's a concentration problem, or not understanding the terminology/wording used?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've a got a questions which is kinda confusing...

A company orders a number of bottles from a factory.

The 8 machines in the factory could make all the bottles in 5 days.
    All the machines work at the same rate.

For 2 days, only 4 machines are used to make the bottles.
    From the 3rd day, all 8 machines are used to make the bottles.

Work out the total number of days taken to make all the bottles.

Ok... so far I've worked out that it would take 1 machine 40 days to make all the bottles as 8 * 5 = 40
    so it would take 4 machines 10 days. Then what?

My friend told me that he worked it out to be 6 days and that he got it correct but his explanation was messed up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NothingButWaleed)
    Hey guys, I've a got a questions which is kinda confusing...

A company orders a number of bottles from a factory.

The 8 machines in the factory could make all the bottles in 5 days.
    All the machines work at the same rate.

For 2 days, only 4 machines are used to make the bottles.
    From the 3rd day, all 8 machines are used to make the bottles.

Work out the total number of days taken to make all the bottles.

Ok... so far I've worked out that it would take 1 machine 40 days to make all the bottles as 8 * 5 = 40
    so it would take 4 machines 10 days. Then what?

My friend told me that he worked it out to be 6 days and that he got it correct but his explanation was messed up!
    You can do this algebraically, but I think it's more sensible to do it logically.

What deductions can you make from the fact that all machines work at the same rate? How would the output vary if only half of the machines were in operation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Just tagging some people who may want to ask GCSE maths questions and discuss the upcoming GCSE exam with others in a similar position
    What does tagging do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    You can do this algebraically, but I think it's more sensible to do it logically.

What deductions can you make from the fact that all machines work at the same rate? How would the output vary if only half of the machines were in operation?
    If half the machines are used it would take double the time to make all the bottles, hence, 4 machines would take 10 days!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.