The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Help and Chat Thread

GCSE Maths Help and Chat Thread

This thread is for current Year 10 and Year 11 students taking Maths or Further Maths. If you have any questions or you're stuck on something, you can post in here and other GCSE students will be here to help as well as some members who are doing their A Levels or a degree. You can also chat in here about how you're finding studying Maths, revision techniques, whatever!

If you don't get an answer to your question or it gets lost in the thread, please create a separate thread in the Maths forum with a clear title and ask the question there so it's more visible.

Rules

•

Try to keep the discussion *mainly* focused around Maths

•

Do not post full solutions to people's questions

•

Please post your working out and try to make your questions as clear as possible

Useful Links
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Just introducing myself here in this thread :h:
I'm currently in Year 12 studying Maths and Further Maths at A Level, so if anyone has any questions I (along with many others, I'm sure) will be happy to help. I don't mind if you want to tag me in posts you make here if you want help straight away, but I'll generally be hovering around and will help where I feel able :biggrin:

Have fun studying Maths! :h:
Reply 2
Just tagging some people who may want to ask GCSE maths questions and discuss the upcoming GCSE exam with others in a similar position :smile:
Original post by surina16
I'm currently in Year 12 studying Maths and Further Maths at A Level, so if anyone has any questions I (along with many others, I'm sure) will be happy to help. I don't mind if you want to tag me in posts you make here if you want help straight away, but I'll generally be hovering around and will help where I feel able :biggrin:

hi, i really need to go from a grade D to B in maths how do i do it?
Original post by Misaki24
hi, i really need to go from a grade D to B in maths how do i do it?

Practice.

You should start by identifying why you're losing marks, by looking through your end-of-topic tests, and any mocks that you may have done, and go from there.
Reply 5
There is so much content and it feels so overwhelming and as though I'll never be able to cover everything in the amount of detailed required, especially considering I have to balance it all with other subjects. Any advice for ensuring effective and balanced revision that accounts for all areas of the course?
Original post by e2014
There is so much content and it feels so overwhelming and as though I'll never be able to cover everything in the amount of detailed required, especially considering I have to balance it all with other subjects. Any advice for ensuring effective and balanced revision that accounts for all areas of the course?

are you talking about maths or science?
Reply 7
Original post by CraigBackner
are you talking about maths or science?

Maths, but honestly science too.
Original post by e2014
Maths, but honestly science too.

you seem a bit unorganised, try making a revision timetable
Reply 9
Original post by CraigBackner
you seem a bit unorganised, try making a revision timetable

Aha. I'm not unorganised at all, that's a bit assumptive. I have a revision timetable already and am revising every day, it's just a perfectionist streak that always seems to make me believe I'm not doing enough.
I think I'm the only one enjoying the new GCSE. It just seems to fall to my strengths.
Original post by BobBobson
I think I'm the only one enjoying the new GCSE. It just seems to fall to my strengths.

You're not the only one, I like it too
Original post by BobBobson

I'm finding myself bored a lot of the time, with the new spec, to be honest.
Does anyone have the edexcel 2017 PPE paper mark schemes they could send to me? My teacher isn't checking his emails because its half term and theres no other way I can get them :frown:.
Original post by surina16

Hi there. You must be very good at maths, and I'm grateful that you are willing to help those of us who need help. I feel that I don't read questions properly and lose marks because if this, and I want tips on how to tackle problem solving questions, as there will be a lot of these in the exam. Thanks. (I'm doing GCSE maths)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zonyali123
Hi there. You must be very good at maths, and I'm grateful that you are willing to help those of us who need help. I feel that I don't read questions properly and lose marks because if this, and I want tips on how to tackle problem solving questions, as there will be a lot of these in the exam. Thanks. (I'm doing GCSE maths)

Do you feel that it's a concentration problem, or not understanding the terminology/wording used?
Hey guys, I've a got a questions which is kinda confusing...

A company orders a number of bottles from a factory.

The 8 machines in the factory could make all the bottles in 5 days.
All the machines work at the same rate.

For 2 days, only 4 machines are used to make the bottles.
From the 3rd day, all 8 machines are used to make the bottles.

Work out the total number of days taken to make all the bottles.

Ok... so far I've worked out that it would take 1 machine 40 days to make all the bottles as 8 * 5 = 40
so it would take 4 machines 10 days. Then what?

My friend told me that he worked it out to be 6 days and that he got it correct but his explanation was messed up!
Original post by NothingButWaleed
Hey guys, I've a got a questions which is kinda confusing...

A company orders a number of bottles from a factory.

The 8 machines in the factory could make all the bottles in 5 days.
All the machines work at the same rate.

For 2 days, only 4 machines are used to make the bottles.
From the 3rd day, all 8 machines are used to make the bottles.

Work out the total number of days taken to make all the bottles.

Ok... so far I've worked out that it would take 1 machine 40 days to make all the bottles as 8 * 5 = 40
so it would take 4 machines 10 days. Then what?

My friend told me that he worked it out to be 6 days and that he got it correct but his explanation was messed up!

You can do this algebraically, but I think it's more sensible to do it logically.

What deductions can you make from the fact that all machines work at the same rate? How would the output vary if only half of the machines were in operation?
Original post by notnek
Just tagging some people who may want to ask GCSE maths questions and discuss the upcoming GCSE exam with others in a similar position :smile:

What does tagging do?
Original post by _gcx
You can do this algebraically, but I think it's more sensible to do it logically.

What deductions can you make from the fact that all machines work at the same rate? How would the output vary if only half of the machines were in operation?

If half the machines are used it would take double the time to make all the bottles, hence, 4 machines would take 10 days!

Latest