Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NothingButWaleed)
    idk how can i work that out?
    8 machines can make all the bottles in 5 days.

Stage 1 : 8 machines make some of the bottles for 1 day
    Stage 2 : 8 machines make the rest of the bottles for .... days

This part is simpler than you think. What's the blank?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    8 machines can make all the bottles in 5 days.

Stage 1 : 8 machines make some of the bottles for 1 day
    Stage 2 : 8 machines make the rest of the bottles for .... days

This part is simpler than you think. What's the blank?
    4 days?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    4 days?
    Correct. And you know that stage 1 actually took 2 days so the answer is 2 + 4 = 6.

Does this all make sense? I can understand if it doesn't - I'm sure that a lot of grade 9 students would still be confused at this point.

ReputationRep:
    Correct. And you know that stage 1 actually took 2 days so the answer is 2 + 4 = 6.

Does this all make sense? I can understand if it doesn't - I'm sure that a lot of grade 9 students would still be confused at this point.
    Oh ok, I understand, it's just it is a 3 marker and some of the 5 markers are easier than this one and it just blew my mind in the exam.

Thanks for the help, its greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Do you feel that it's a concentration problem, or not understanding the terminology/wording used?
    I think it's a bit of both.

ReputationRep:
    How do i go from a grade 4 to 7 in maths in three months?
    I got a U in my mocks (few marks off 4) but i need to get 6 minimum for the courses i want to do
    Is it possible?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misaki24)
    How do i go from a grade 4 to 7 in maths in three months?
    I got a U in my mocks (few marks off 4) but i need to get 6 minimum for the courses i want to do
    Is it possible?
    If you really push yourself then you can do it but it's probably going to mean doing extra work in addition to school work.

Firstly I recommend you buy some revision guides and practice papers. CGP are good and there are Edexcel practice papers that you can buy.

Then I recommend you print the syllabus and highlight all the areas that you are weak at. For these areas, try youtube for videos on these topics and keep watching them until you understand. Then Google "GCSE questions by topic" and you'll find different websites where you can practice questions on the topic you're stuggling with.

Also, if you need general help with topic or specific questions then there are many people on this forum who would be really happy to assist and help you reach your target grade. You can either post questions in this thread or start your own threads.

I'll also mention that it's impossible to predict grade boundaries at this stage and some schools will have made better predictions that others. You may have actually got higher than a 'U'.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, I understand, it's just it is a 3 marker and some of the 5 markers are easier than this one and it just blew my mind in the exam.

Thanks for the help, its greatly appreciated!
    Hi im still confused and im a gcse maths student and i would really like to know the answer to this as well. I read through the posta but i still dont understand it & would really appreciate if someone could explain it. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_a1)
    Hi im still confused and im a gcse maths student and i would really like to know the answer to this as well. I read through the posta but i still dont understand it & would really appreciate if someone could explain it. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are different ways to do it but this is the quickest:

For 2 days, only 4 machines are used to make the bottles.

This is equivalent to saying:

For 1 day, 8 machines are used to make the bottles.

So if it takes 5 days for 8 machines to make the bottles then there must be 4 days left.

2 + 4 = 6.

ReputationRep:

So if it takes 5 days for 8 machines to make the bottles then there must be 4 days left.

2 + 4 = 6.
    You explained it really well.
    I didn't get it at first, but when I read this, and re-read the question, it actually began to make sense.

ReputationRep:
    If you really push yourself then you can do it but it's probably going to mean doing extra work in addition to school work.

Firstly I recommend you buy some revision guides and practice papers. CGP are good and there are Edexcel practice papers that you can buy.

Then I recommend you print the syllabus and highlight all the areas that you are weak at. For these areas, try youtube for videos on these topics and keep watching them until you understand. Then Google "GCSE questions by topic" and you'll find different websites where you can practice questions on the topic you're stuggling with.

Also, if you need general help with topic or specific questions then there are many people on this forum who would be really happy to assist and help you reach your target grade. You can either post questions in this thread or start your own threads.

I'll also mention that it's impossible to predict grade boundaries at this stage and some schools will have made better predictions that others. You may have actually got higher than a 'U'.
    Thanks alot!

ReputationRep:

My teacher said the grade boundary has already been set for this year and any changes would only apply to the year 10s im confused now :P

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me how to work this out in order to plot it on a graph: 3y=2x+6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zonyali123)
    Can someone tell me how to work this out in order to plot it on a graph: 3y=2x+6
    Divide both sides by 3. You will then be able to plot it like any other line (using a table etc.)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said the grade boundary has already been set for this year and any changes would only apply to the year 10s im confused now :P
    Do you mean for your mocks or for the real thing?

For the real thing, the grade boundaries are only set once marks are collated nationwide. They will be set according to percentages of students who achieve a certain mark. So harder exams mean lower grade boundaries and vice-versa.

ReputationRep:
    If they're talking about the 2017 exams, they are wrong.

Grade boundaries are decided once all papers have been marked.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean for your mocks or for the real thing?

For the real thing, the grade boundaries are only set once marks are collated nationwide. They will be set according to percentages of students who achieve a certain mark. So harder exams mean lower grade boundaries and vice-versa.
    Okay thank u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    If they're talking about the 2017 exams, they are wrong.

Grade boundaries are decided once all papers have been marked.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    x.
    Would this work for other examples??

I imagined that there were 100 bottles made in 5 days, so 20 bottles a day, by 8 machines.
    This means that each machine makes 2.5 bottles per day. 2.5 multiplied by 4= 10
    10 multiplied by 2( for the 2 days) is 20.
    So 100-20 is 80, there are 80 drinks left to be made by 8 machines in x days. You find that 8 drinks make 20 bottles in a day, so they must make 80 bottles in 4 days.

ReputationRep:

2 + 4 = 6.
    Sorry why is there 4 days left

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.