Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should the government provide free beer to all workers. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Beer is not typically distilled. Although a liquid similar to malt liquor is distilled to make whisky.

Also beer comes in such a wide variety of styles and quality that the government simply giving away free beer of a single type will inevitably not satisfy most beer drinkers. Not all beers are created equal. I'd imagine that the government would give away the cheapest beer they can source, which is typically going to be something similar to Carling/Carlsberg. As there exist people who actually like beer, there is still a market for selling beer to those people.
    Semantics.

I'll admit I'm not familiar with the process of producing beer, but there is a chemical industrial process involved correct? And that process requires workers to be completed, workers need pay, point still stands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    You are a troll.
    Im sure everyone would agree with me.
    I am a member of trollstation, but that doesn't make me a troll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU5fAUc2qlg
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Semantics.

I'll admit I'm not familiar with the process of producing beer, but there is a chemical industrial process involved correct? And that process requires workers to be completed, workers need pay, point still stands.
    It's a series of biological processes with some chemical processes, too.

I'd say the point (on* the assumption I've understood the point correctly) does not still stand because realistically the government would not fund all of the breweries in the UK (of which there are hundreds, possibly thousands) because that makes absolutely no economic sense if all you're going to is give it away for free. Ergo, there is a demand for beer that tastes of something - all good breweries would remain open for profit and would still succeed as they are now (in case you're unaware, craft beer is one of the fastest growing industries right now)

More likely the government take over the macro breweries which are basically beer factories with very few employees (almost everything, if not everything, is automated) to fulfil the "free beer" quota at minimal cost. The ingredients in beer are remarkably cheap, even as a home brewer not particularly trying to cut costs with my brewing, I make beer for less than 30p/pint. A company like Carlsberg will pay a tiny fraction of that for their ingredients because :

a) They buy in enormous bulk. I don't tend to buy more than about 1 kg of malt, or a few grams of hops at a time. If you buy in 25 kg bags it's about half the cost by weight, and they'll likely get a further discount when buying hundreds of kilograms at once and directly from the producer.
    b) Their recipes require fewer ingredients (per pint)
    c) They use fewer ingredients in their recipes (maybe one or two malts and one or two hop varieties, rather than 3-4 of each like in my beer)
    d) They have the means to re-use yeast (which is expensive) in different brews.

I'm not particularly trying to prove anything by this information, but I thought you might find it interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    Free beer- depends on the beer it is. If it is muck called beer such as Budweiser, then no thanks.
    It would be your choice.

ReputationRep:
    It would certainly fit in with their narrative of getting immigrants to integrate in to western society.

ReputationRep:
    So long as they don't sneak in any light beer, also prevent the feminists from campaigning for free wine.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.