The Student Room Group

Maths question help

Well I had a maths mock today and it went horrible to say the least. And the first question I was so confident I got right but I walked out and everyone and everyone got different answers to me. So help me please lol

Question:

Buses leave for Barford from STop 1 every 20 minutes. Buses leave for Ashby from the same busstop every 24 minutes. The time when they leave together is 7:30. What is the next time they leave together?

If that's makes sense:smile:
Reply 1
9:30 - that's the answer so if you got it wrong what did you do? You're essentially just finding the lowest common multiple of the two numbers, which is 120.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I found the hcf instead and did a bit of multiplying and ended up with 11:10. Idk it was a 3 mark question so maybe one mark for working? Hopefully😂
Reply 3
Original post by THEgurlxo
I found the hcf instead and did a bit of multiplying and ended up with 11:10. Idk it was a 3 mark question so maybe one mark for working? Hopefully😂

I don't think you'd get a mark because the reasoning is just not right. Do you understand now why you found the lcm and not the hcf?
Reply 4
not really? no

Quick Reply

Latest