The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Human Biology May 2017

Hi guys,
this is a thread for people who are doing the Edexcel IGCSE Human Biology exam in May 2017.

Exam dates:

Paper 1 - 10 May
Paper 2 - 12 May

Here's the Specification:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/Human%20Biology/2009/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UG022524-International-GCSE-in-Human-Biology-4HB0-for-print.pdf

Past Papers and Mark Schemes:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-human-biology-2009.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials

Revision Guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wmAMiRJG72VFYwYmlwRi04NkE/view

Also, post your answers to the following questions:
1.Favourite Topic
2.Least Favourite Topic
3.Most Confident Topic
4.Least Confident Topic
5.Why are you taking HB?
6.Have You Started Revising Yet?

Good Luck everyone, anymore resources would also be useful!!! :smile::smile::smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm taking human biology this may. The grade boundaries are a lot higher than normal IGCSE edexcel biology :/ I've just started revising recently.. I find paper 2 much more difficult than paper 1...is this just me? anyway I don't not like any of the topics, I just find some topics they included quite random..
Original post by k.ee.n.a
I'm taking human biology this may. The grade boundaries are a lot higher than normal IGCSE edexcel biology :/ I've just started revising recently.. I find paper 2 much more difficult than paper 1...is this just me? anyway I don't not like any of the topics, I just find some topics they included quite random..

Hi k.ee.n.a;69563682 :smile:,

I agree with you that paper 2 is more difficult and yes the topics are quite random especially the last section because how is deforestation human biology :biggrin::biggrin:. Since you have started to revise, I think that the revision guide in my first post would be very helpful and btw why have you taken human biology? Is it compulsory at your school? Did you teach yourself?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the revision guide! It looks very helpful :smile: I'm taking it because I took my biology gcse in year 9 so have forgotten quite a lot, and want to take biology for a-level.
Original post by k.ee.n.a
Thanks for the revision guide! It looks very helpful :smile: I'm taking it because I took my biology gcse in year 9 so have forgotten quite a lot, and want to take biology for a-level.

Oh nice, well done!!! Good luck on your revision:smile:
hey im doing my exams this may AND IM FREAKING OUT!!! human biology is a bit harder than biology, the answers need to be on point!
Original post by Pandalogy
hey im doing my exams this may AND IM FREAKING OUT!!! human biology is a bit harder than biology, the answers need to be on point!

Hey Pandalogy, ikr it's so hard :frown: and it's only 70 days away :frown:. Have you finished all the content yet?
Original post by Greenapplepear
Hey Pandalogy, ikr it's so hard :frown: and it's only 70 days away :frown:. Have you finished all the content yet?

OMG no not yet. Like, i can wing chemistry.. but bio and human bio are so hard :// did you see the biology papers January 2017??? they were so frigging hard I'm so freaked out :///
OMG no not yet. Like, i can wing chemistry.. but bio and human bio are so hard :// did you see the biology papers January 2017??? they were so frigging hard I'm so freaked out :///

ikr, same with me i still haven't finished the content yet :frown: and the exam is literally in 10 weeks today. So screwed :frown::frown:.
IKRRR, oh and I recommend you to read the GCSE Biology textbook by D.G Mackean.They have the full details on the content of our "international gcse biology" textbook and it also contains all the experiments in detail (examiners love their experiment questions) :smile:
IKRRR, oh and I recommend you to read the GCSE Biology textbook by D.G Mackean.They have the full details on the content of our "international gcse biology" textbook and it also contains all the experiments in detail (examiners love their experiment questions) :smile:

Thank you so much!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
anytime! and be sure to tell me how your IGCSE's went okay? and just drop a message if you need any help too :smile:)))))) GOOD LUCK!
anytime! and be sure to tell me how your IGCSE's went okay? and just drop a message if you need any help too :smile:)))))) GOOD LUCK!

Ok, will do, thank you, good luck to you too!!!! :smile::smile:
I'm sitting for the paper too! Thanks for the revision guide. I'm sort of good with bio and human bio. Hope it goes well. Seriously struggling over here with chemistry. And good luck to all of you who will be sitting the paper with me!!
Reply 14
Helllllppppppp i am doing this exam in May and haven't finished studying the topics let alone starting revising or doing practice papers!! In your honest opinion am i able to achieve a c at this late stage if i haven't even studied all of the course content? I am starting to panic a lot so any help or advice would be amazing xx
Original post by slightly_edited
I'm sitting for the paper too! Thanks for the revision guide. I'm sort of good with bio and human bio. Hope it goes well. Seriously struggling over here with chemistry. And good luck to all of you who will be sitting the paper with me!!

Hi there!!!! Here is a revision guide for chemistry, hope it's useful to you!!!
https://nzkhanew.wikispaces.com/file...on%2Bguide.pdf
Thanks and good luck to you too!!!:smile:
Original post by Ellytur
Helllllppppppp i am doing this exam in May and haven't finished studying the topics let alone starting revising or doing practice papers!! In your honest opinion am i able to achieve a c at this late stage if i haven't even studied all of the course content? I am starting to panic a lot so any help or advice would be amazing xx

Hi Hellllppppppp!!!! Dw I have just finished the course and i think if you keep revising hard, you can easily obtain a B or even an A!!!! My advice would be to finish the course as soon as possible and start doing past papers. Past papers are very useful in terms of applying your knowledge. Also, try to think positively and have a plan in terms of what you need to do in each revision session and give ur self a goal. Hope this helps and also don't forget the revision guide!!! :smile:
Hi there!!!! Here is a revision guide for chemistry, hope it's useful to you!!!
https://nzkhanew.wikispaces.com/file...on%2Bguide.pdf
Thanks and good luck to you too!!!:smile:

Thank you so much! I think i winged chemistry for my mocks. How were your mocks? Funny how we don't have coursework unlike gcses.
Hi Hellllppppppp!!!! Dw I have just finished the course and i think if you keep revising hard, you can easily obtain a B or even an A!!!! My advice would be to finish the course as soon as possible and start doing past papers. Past papers are very useful in terms of applying your knowledge. Also, try to think positively and have a plan in terms of what you need to do in each revision session and give ur self a goal. Hope this helps and also don't forget the revision guide!!! :smile:

I think it'll actually help for you to revise through the coursework you haven't done yet too. That way you'll be ahead in class and better at it in general. Actually if you don't know subject matter its a good habit to read sections while doing past papers. Helps you revise everything without you knowing. :smile:
Original post by slightly_edited
Thank you so much! I think i winged chemistry for my mocks. How were your mocks? Funny how we don't have coursework unlike gcses.

Hi!!! My mocks were quite good, I got 1 A* 5As 3Bs, 5s in english and 9 in maths. Ikr, I'm actually quite glad we don't have coursework for the sciences lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending