Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do we all agree that half truths are lies? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For example if i told you that this person had killed over 10 people in the past and i had killed that person it would be for the greater good(capital punishment, let's say i managed to get them in that situation)

You'd think hey that's not bad no-one wants that kind of person around but i(for the sake of examples) told you a half truth and didn't tell you the full story.

The full story let's say was the person had reformed of their ways and has started helping those less fortunate than themselves and never ever went near anyone again with the intent or anything to kill.

Am i lying or not?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Deliberately leaving out important information that would shed different light on a story is lying imo, yes
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Lying via omission is still lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    Deliberately leaving out important information that would shed different light on a story is lying imo, yes
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Yep. Lying via omission is still lying.
    Thank you. Finally some people who are sane and can think logically.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    Thanks you. Finally some people who are sane and can think logically.
    :erm: thanks.

ReputationRep:
    :erm: thanks.

Let me point out all the lies in this email my dad sent to my mum in that case.

Ha pay back all the 30k in 4 years? Haha bs he won't do that, He never will. All his lies and all the bs he gave my mum no way.

Yea he has been dealing with all the matters for 12 month and before that? Oh of course all the YEARS my mum did it of course it doesn't count

Nice listing your job, ****ing idiot. from the word including to as well you can replace it with *in other words my job*

Paying house mortgage? Pft i'm pretty sure that's what people do anyway when they have it. It's like eating you do it everyday so why tell everyone you do it? Pointless.

Holiday? No that FEW WEEKS was to get HER MONEY back from my dad's brother which my dad's brother OWED TO MY MUM.

Spending family money. PFFFTTT baseless assumption and entierly wrong. She used her own money she had to get a ticket there and back

60k is my MUM'S MONEY he put the properties in my mums name not his that's his fault tough **** boo hoo you made a mistake you're dam fault.

Yes dealing with the bills and life. Thanks for listing what most people do anyway so why list it?

Abandoned? No he's only giving lies.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Let me point out all the lies in this email my dad sent to my mum in that case.

Ha pay back all the 30k in 4 years? Haha bs he won't do that, He never will. All his lies and all the bs he gave my mum no way.

Yea he has been dealing with all the matters for 12 month and before that? Oh of course all the YEARS my mum did it of course it doesn't count

Nice listing your job, ****ing idiot. from the word including to as well you can replace it with *in other words my job*

Paying house mortgage? Pft i'm pretty sure that's what people do anyway when they have it. It's like eating you do it everyday so why tell everyone you do it? Pointless.

Holiday? No that FEW WEEKS was to get HER MONEY back from my dad's brother which my dad's brother OWED TO MY MUM.

Spending family money. PFFFTTT baseless assumption and entierly wrong. She used her own money she had to get a ticket there and back

60k is my MUM'S MONEY he put the properties in my mums name not his that's his fault tough **** boo hoo you made a mistake you're dam fault.

Yes dealing with the bills and life. Thanks for listing what most people do anyway so why list it?

Abandoned? No he's only giving lies.
    I'm sorry about this. :hugs:

Yeah, I'd say he's lying too.

Who the **** makes a claim saying they can pay back £30K in 3 years?

ReputationRep:
    It's deceiving but I don't know about lying, devicing is twisting or telling the truth to make it seem different and lying is saying something that isn't true. Although lying is a form of deceiving but deceiving isn't lying

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry about this. :hugs:

Yeah, I'd say he's lying too.

Who the f**k makes a claim saying they can pay back £30K in 3 years?
    He does because he's a scumbag.
    Worthless husk of human.
    (Original post by zayn008)
    It's deceiving but I don't know about lying, devicing is twisting or telling the truth to make it seem different and lying is saying something that isn't true. Although lying is a form of deceiving but deceiving isn't lying
    He's twisting it aswell as missing out VITAL parts of the story
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    He does because he's a scumbag.
    Worthless husk of human.
    I'm sorry that you have to put up with someone like that. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry that you have to put up with someone like that. :hugs:
    It's been for years

At least 5
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's been for years

At least 5
    I'm sorry. :hugs:

Is there any way that you can get away from having any contact with him?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry. :hugs:

Is there any way that you can get away from having any contact with him?
    No need to be sorry just beat him up lul

No there isn't
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No need to be sorry just beat him up lul

No there isn't
    Why?

I kind of forgot, are you at sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    Why?

I kind of forgot, are you at sixth form?
    Because i've been dealing with the bs for a while. I just go full argumentative when he asks me anything then he leaves so he just leaves

yes
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Because i've been dealing with the bs for a while. I just go full argumentative when he asks me anything then he leaves so he just leaves

yes
    Okay, at least he leaves.

Are you planning to go to uni?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, at least he leaves.

Are you planning to go to uni?
    Only from the room i'm in temporarily

Yes
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Only from the room i'm in temporarily

Yes
    Okay.

You'll be able to lose contact with him when you go to uni. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Okay.

You'll be able to lose contact with him when you go to uni. :hugs:
    I will and will only go back to collect my stuff maybe give him a small amount of money or nothing depending on the situation of me and him. I devote everything to my mum lul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    This, really. From a moral point of view, missing out important pieces of information to change perceptions in your favour is incredibly deceitful, but to lie is to tell something that isn't true, so technically the person the OP is describing hasn't lied but has instead been deceitful, which is no better in itself but again it's technically not a lie.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.