Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do we all agree that half truths are lies? Watch

ReputationRep:
    yep- still lying :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Yep. Lying via omission is still lying.
    Hey girl are you wi-fi? Because I can definitely feel a connection. :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    I hate to be that one guy but...

If you had killed someone, who had also killed 10 others, then yes that is a fact. Whether it was for the greater good or not is purely opinion, and so cannot be true (or false)

Your dad still sounds like a **** though
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    I will and will only go back to collect my stuff maybe give him a small amount of money or nothing depending on the situation of me and him. I devote everything to my mum lul
    Good. :hugs:

Nah, don't give him any money, he doesn't deserve jack ****.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theflirter)
    Hey girl are you wi-fi? Because I can definitely feel a connection. :flutter:
    What?

ReputationRep:
    What?
    Hey girl, are you a camera? Because you're making me smile. :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    For example if i told you that this person had killed over 10 people in the past and i had killed that person it would be for the greater good(capital punishment, let's say i managed to get them in that situation)

You'd think hey that's not bad no-one wants that kind of person around but i(for the sake of examples) told you a half truth and didn't tell you the full story.

The full story let's say was the person had reformed of their ways and has started helping those less fortunate than themselves and never ever went near anyone again with the intent or anything to kill.

Am i lying or not?
    Yep lying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    This, really. From a moral point of view, missing out important pieces of information to change perceptions in your favour is incredibly deceitful, but to lie is to tell something that isn't true, so technically the person the OP is describing hasn't lied but has instead been deceitful, which is no better in itself but again it's technically not a lie.
    I see....
    Right.
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    yep- still lying :yep:
    hmmm
    (Original post by Another)
    I hate to be that one guy but...

If you had killed someone, who had also killed 10 others, then yes that is a fact. Whether it was for the greater good or not is purely opinion, and so cannot be true (or false)

Your dad still sounds like a **** though
    Pft what you gonna do tho... he'll never go away unless he dies.
    Ill treat him like a stranger. I'll still save their life if they could die and i could help them
    Good. :hugs:

Nah, don't give him any money, he doesn't deserve jack ****.
    Ok, well that's a nothing. He'll probably go on a "I do all this for you and this is how you repay me" Like he didn't do **** for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    This, really. From a moral point of view, missing out important pieces of information to change perceptions in your favour is incredibly deceitful, but to lie is to tell something that isn't true, so technically the person the OP is describing hasn't lied but has instead been deceitful, which is no better in itself but again it's technically not a lie.
    Yeah that reminds of a certain someone with a certain incident with a clown. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It takes a lot of truth to be convincing, even more truth than there is lol. I catch out people because of the amount of half truths which can never be believable.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ttingox.

Paracosm
    I see....

Ok, well that's a nothing. He'll probably go on a "I do all this for you and this is how you repay me" Like he didn't do **** for me
    He still doesn't deserve anything.

But, hopefully, at uni you'll be able to lose contact with him completely. He sounds like an awful human being. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    xxxxx

ReputationRep:

He still doesn't deserve anything.

But, hopefully, at uni you'll be able to lose contact with him completely. He sounds like an awful human being. :hugs:
    Yup, got it. He is awful. I can show u more if u want lul
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yup, got it. He is awful. I can show u more if u want lul
    Okay.

ReputationRep:
    If it's something that massively changes the outcome then yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    If it's something that massively changes the outcome then yeah.
    So if it doesn't have a big effect what is it called?

ReputationRep:
    So if it doesn't have a big effect what is it called?
    Well for example, today me and some mates were about to split up and go our separate ways, one asked "you going for the bus now" to which I said yes. On the way to the bus station I took a tiny detour to pop into the local spar to see if they sold any veg at all (they did not). I've still ended up at the bus station, so I didn't lie as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Well for example, today me and some mates were about to split up and go our separate ways, one asked "you going for the bus now" to which I said yes. On the way to the bus station I took a tiny detour to pop into the local spar to see if they sold any veg at all (they did not). I've still ended up at the bus station, so I didn't lie as such.
    O i c so you're putting the "lie" bit first and truth later what if it's the other way round and the lie bit is after the truth and the lie bit is that it's never told?

ReputationRep:
    I think you're the camera because you're making me say cheesy.

ReputationRep:
    O i c so you're putting the "lie" bit first and truth later what if it's the other way round and the lie bit is after the truth and the lie bit is that it's never told?
    So say it's tomorrow. I've done my detour. Friend somehow has amnesia, asks "where did you go when you left?". I say "The bus station".

I did go to the bus station, and my short detour doesn't change that fact nor add any real new perspective. I'd say a half-truth is actually deceptive when you're doing something designed to change the perspective of the person receiving the half-truth. If I say "Oh actually I went to spar first" my mate would be like "oh ok idc", but if instead I was like "Oh I popped into the next city first to have sexual intercourse with a lovely girl called Ellie I met online a few months ago", suddenly the whole story is totally different and they're going to be a bit shocked and confused.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.