Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gap Year- travelling alone Watch

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go travelling however I have no idea where i want to go, how long I want to go for etc. I also have no idea where to even start with planning it, what to do or how to do it.

I am thinking of going alone but I don't know if it is safe. If i stayed in a hsotel, how am i supposed to trust the people in there? How will your belongings be safe? Can you get private rooms in a hostel that you can have to yourself for more security.

I really need any helpful advice that I can get for travelling alone, where to go and how to even plan it!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey Olivia,
    Im just about to start booking my travelling trip! I'm looking for someone to travel with if youre interested? Im currently on my gap year and im planning on flying to cairns on the 22nd of next month and then travel down the east coast, ending at sydney on the 11th of March!

ReputationRep:
    I'm your position too, I definitely want to travel after my resits and Glastonbury though, so like through July. I've been told that it's simply not safe for girls to travel alone though, but then how are you supposed to find someone to travel with? I've tried looking at blogs but they're all like 40 year old men, and then the travel agencies charge an absolute bomb. Anyone reading this got any advise from previous experiences?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wanna go to Asia if I do a gap year but alas no money.

Have you considered working in Camp America or going somewhere where your accommodation is paid for and meeting people there to travel with?

ReputationRep:
    I was unaware you could go to places where your accommodation is paid for.

I don't know many companies that do this kind of thing or where to find them, specifically ones that you know are legit and reliable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviam6)
    I was unaware you could go to places where your accommodation is paid for.

I don't know many companies that do this kind of thing or where to find them, specifically ones that you know are legit and reliable.
    There are actually a lot! Especially in the USA, places like Disneyworld want volunteers so they pay for accommodation and give you meals, some places pay you also but I can't think of any atm.

Look at camp America and places like that and you can kinda find other places too.if you search a bit. I know people who work in those types of camps every year! "gap year- New York" "gap year Florida" google stuff like that and you can figure out if they are reliable on reviews and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Companies like AmeriCamp, Camp America, Camp Thialand etc are all legitimate, but you have to pay for flights and things so can get pricey. I'm currently looking into STA travel who do gap year tours, but again flights aren't included

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Let us know if you have any questions! Camp America is a great way to go to another country and work for a while, make a bunch of new mates and then travel America after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e86Zv10WT0

Pops CA x

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go travelling however I have no idea where i want to go, how long I want to go for etc. I also have no idea where to even start with planning it, what to do or how to do it.

I am thinking of going alone but I don't know if it is safe. If i stayed in a hsotel, how am i supposed to trust the people in there? How will your belongings be safe? Can you get private rooms in a hostel that you can have to yourself for more security.

I really need any helpful advice that I can get for Parking Auckland Airport Service ?

, where to go and how to even plan it!

Thanks
    Hello
    Are you considering a solo international trip? You’re not alone. Between 2013 and 2015, the number of single international travelers jumped from 15 to 24%, according to a 2015 Visa Global Travel Intentions Study. What are some of the benefits to taking a trip unencumbered with a travel buddy ?

ReputationRep:
    I am going interrailing through Eastern Europe on my own in the summer - having worked overseas in the Travel sector I can say, yes, there may be an increased worry about safety when travelling alone but make sure to exercise reasonable caution and don't make it too obvious you're a tourist.

Travelling, wherever you do it, is a wonderful experience - don't let fear of going alone stop you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    have you thought about doing a tour? contiki and topdeck are good as you get to meet loads of other young travellers (most are also solo) and everything's organised for you, i went to new zealand with topdeck last year and had an amazing time and met so many people!

ReputationRep:

I really need any helpful advice that I can get for travelling alone, where to go and how to even plan it!

Thanks
    Hi there,
    why don't you check these sites?
    https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...surance-health https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/03/t...year.html?_r=0
    Hope this helps, and what about the place of destination, try to choose something you like.
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to travel for a while but I'm also weary of being a female and traveling alone!
    I've worked abroad before but through a company but would love to go traveling! If anyone's also in the same situation, I'll happily be a travel partner!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm Indian and I travelled to the UK earlier this year during my gap year. I've started writing a travel blog about my experiences and I'd love some feedback so if anyone's interested in checking it out, here's a link:
    http://nvdiaries.weebly.com/travel-diary
    Cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.