Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am currently doing AS physics...
    I'm finding it very difficult to understand how a diffraction grating works, and how the rays are parallel, yet their path difference is n*lambda and they somhow overlap...
    Could somebody please clarify for me... Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayahhh)
    Hello,
    I am currently doing AS physics...
    I'm finding it very difficult to understand how a diffraction grating works, and how the rays are parallel,
    The rays are actually not parallel, they are nearly parallel. This is sometimes called the far-field approximation. They are approximated to be parallel to find the path difference to be d*sin(theta) which is equal to n*lambda.

I will use an analogy. We know that Earth is curved. But the house that you lived in, are the floor curved or flat? In our view, it can be approximated to be flat. But when we view from the outer space, we cannot approximate it to be flat.

yet their path difference is n*lambda and they somehow overlap...
    As I mention above, the rays are approximated to be parallel, so they can meet.

Hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    yet their path difference is n*lambda and they somhow overlap...
    I forget to address how to arrive the path difference to be n*lambda.

This video gives an intuitive way of finding the path difference.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh8gjdM7q4M

Another way, is to consider the double-slit constructive interference condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimmanuel)

Hope it helps.
    Thank you so so so so soo much!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.