Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm going to do a level physics online
    Does anybody knows which board is easier for me?
    So I can buy textbook
    AQA,.
    Edexcel?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Theyre both hard in their own way but personally I would go for AQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hajra Momoniat)
    Thanks
    Can you recommend a book for AQA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roham22)
    Hi
    I'm going to do a level physics online
    Does anybody knows which board is easier for me?
    So I can buy textbook
    AQA,.
    Edexcel?
    Thanks
    Keep in mind that there is a requirement to complete assigned practicals and pass an endorsement of practical skills to fully complete the A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Physics Which has a purple cover

ReputationRep:
    I bought this book as a supplement to my AQA A-level physics course, however I was bitterly dissapointed by it. Instead of going further into my opinions I'll just state the problems:

1. There is no glossary. This is particularly problematic if you want to skip to a page relevant to your specification and you don't know the words they use.

2. The answers show no working. This is common with most textbooks however I believe it is very unhelpful especially to those who are trying to learn independently

3. The answers are almost entirely numeric. You won't get much help practicing worded answers and even though it does ask for worded explanations in the questions, very often you won't be able to answer it with the information that's already in the textbook.

4. The book won't go into enough detail for your specification. It will talk about errors and uncertainty, for example, but it won't talk about parallax errors or the rule for doubling an uncertainty when the measurement is

ReputationRep:

This is a review of book in amazon
    What is your opinion Mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Keep in mind that there is a requirement to complete assigned practicals and pass an endorsement of practical skills to fully complete the A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah mate
    I've heard about it
    Do you know how can I get information about it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah mate
    I've heard about it
    Do you know how can I get information about it?
    The details are described in the specifications you will find in the examiner web sites. This is the first year of them so I think schools and colleges are still learning about them. They have to be assessed at a school or college and there are a limited number of places that offer them to private candidates. They can be very expensive and I've seen prices as much as £1000 for a workshop to learn about them and then do them.

Your exam will include info learned from the practicals but the practicals themselves don't count towards the grade subject . Depending on why you are doing the A level, a pass in the practical endorsement may or may not be an essential requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The details are described in the specifications you will find in the examiner web sites. This is the first year of them so I think schools and colleges are still learning about them. They have to be assessed at a school or college and there are a limited number of places that offer them to private candidates. They can be very expensive and I've seen prices as much as £1000 for a workshop to learn about them and then do them.

Your exam will include info learned from the practicals but the practicals themselves don't count towards the grade subject . Depending on why you are doing the A level, a pass in the practical endorsement may or may not be an essential requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks you
    Practical is one of the requirements (Pass in the Practical Element of Science A levels must be achieved)
    Is there anyway to learn them without collage ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you
    Practical is one of the requirements (Pass in the Practical Element of Science A levels must be achieved)
    Is there anyway to learn them without collage ?
    I'm sure you'll be able to find a lot of info about the practical online.
    The guide for AQA provides loads of detail.
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...-7408-PHBK.PDF
    It will probably be possible to get enough info together to be able to deal with the practical questions found in the exam. I very much doubt you could learn enough alone to enable you to actually do the practicals.
    The practicals have to be taken, observed and assessed in a school or college or other authorised centre.
    E.g.
    https://www.3at.org.uk/www.3at.org.uk/info.php?p=10
    https://www.greenes.org.uk/a-level-science-practicals/
    A lot of people have been grappling with this issue this year. Maybe start a discussion about it in the A level forum or the physics forum to see what people have managed to sort out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'll be able to find a lot of info about the practical online.
    The guide for AQA provides loads of detail.
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...-7408-PHBK.PDF
    It will probably be possible to get enough info together to be able to deal with the practical questions found in the exam. I very much doubt you could learn enough alone to enable you to actually do the practicals.
    The practicals have to be taken, observed and assessed in a school or college or other authorised centre.
    E.g.
    https://www.3at.org.uk/www.3at.org.uk/info.php?p=10
    https://www.greenes.org.uk/a-level-science-practicals/
    A lot of people have been grappling with this issue this year. Maybe start a discussion about it in the A level forum or the physics forum to see what people have managed to sort out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks you so much
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi, My name is Jo and I'm a course adviser at the National Extension College (NEC). If you are looking for an online course for A level Physics that will allow you to do the Practical Endorsement, then NEC offers this. The course fee is £625. The exam syllabus we follow is the Edexcel 9PH0. Core practical work is partly manageable at home, and can be completed using linked video resources. This is included in the course fee and these skills are tested in the written exams. Your certificate grade is made just from these exam results. The teacher-assessed Practical Endorsement is not included in the course fee, although we are offering it in Spring 2018 at centre in Oxford (and possibly Coventry) for a further cost (approximately £1170). The result takes the form of a pass/fail as an Endorsement to the certificate rather than being incorporated into your grade. At this stage we cannot know which university courses will require it for entry. You will need to check that with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by National Extension College)
    Hi, My name is Jo and I'm a course adviser at the National Extension College (NEC). If you are looking for an online course for A level Physics that will allow you to do the Practical Endorsement, then NEC offers this. The course fee is £625. The exam syllabus we follow is the Edexcel 9PH0. Core practical work is partly manageable at home, and can be completed using linked video resources. This is included in the course fee and these skills are tested in the written exams. Your certificate grade is made just from these exam results. The teacher-assessed Practical Endorsement is not included in the course fee, although we are offering it in Spring 2018 at centre in Oxford (and possibly Coventry) for a further cost (approximately £1170). The result takes the form of a pass/fail as an Endorsement to the certificate rather than being incorporated into your grade. At this stage we cannot know which university courses will require it for entry. You will need to check that with them.
    HI
    Thanks
    Can I have your email address or contact number pls
    Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    HI
    Thanks
    Can I have your email address or contact number pls
    Thanks
    Sure. Call us before 5pm on 0800 3892839.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.