Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I began an undergrad course in 1997 but in 1998 I became pregnant and was unable to continue at that time. I went back to try and finish my studies part-time, in Sep 2000 when I was awarded a student loan, for the first time, as prior to this students didn't have to pay tuition fees in the UK.

    Unfortunately I was unable to complete my course then also, due to the pressures of trying to balance degree level study and being a new and single parent to a toddler, and I dropped out after only 2 semesters.

    However now my daughter is grown up and will be starting university herself this September, and I am keen to go back to my studies myself. My questions are; would I be eligible to get full funding for a part time, Open University, undergrad degree, beginning in April 2017? Also, would my application for funding have an impact on my daughter's application for funding to begin her degree in September 2017? And if so how?

    Many thanks,
    Fran Adam
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team

    Previous study at the higher education level may be considered when assessing student's entitlement to finance. This will depend on whether they studied full-time or part-time and if they received a qualification. If a student does not have entitlement for a years study due to their previous study, they will still be eligible to receive a means tested Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants. No Tuition Fee Loan will be available for these years.

    The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their new course plus 1 extra year (OD +1), minus any previous study (PS) if it can be included. Please see calculation shown below:

    (OD+1) - PS = Entitlement.

    Remaining years of entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, they would received a MT Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants only.Hope this helps.

    It's best to call us if you wish further clarification to allow us to check your previous funding.

    With regards to your daughter, we can confirm that any application will not have an impact on your daughter's application except if there was a significant drop in the household income and she wished her application to be means tested. If this was the case, then we would require evidence of the current years's household income as well as income for tax year 2015/16 to allow us to process her application fully.

Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.