Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've accepted an unconditional offer as my firm choice. Can I apply for accomodation immediately? Or is their confirmation and other steps that i need to wait for? Also if anyone can recommend the dos and donts and things to look out for when choosing that would be great

ReputationRep:
    hi there! i'm a fresher at Hallam, and i've been living in student halls since September now.

i'm pretty sure you can apply for accommodation the moment the uni confirms your offer! i could be wrong, obviously, but i'm pretty sure the link is here.

i, like you, had an unconditional and you'll get info about your accommodation in late june/early july time. it's a bit of a wait, but it was so worth it as i'm having a really good time.

okay, things to look out for!

it all depends on your price range of course, but i'd definitely think about location. sheffield isn't a huge city and you can walk from city to collegiate campus, but my flatmate lives here next to city campus and then has to get up half an hour earlier every day to walk to collegiate. if she's having a late night study session at the library at collegiate, it's a long walk home in the dark back to my accommodation. however, on the other side of that, city campus has more events going on as it's near the students' union.

regardless, there's now a shuttle bus to and from city to campus, though, so that may be of help to you. there's also Uber here in sheffield, and the union have a great deal going on with city taxis where you hand over your student ID on the night if you've got no cash and pay the fare at the students union later, so if you want a cheap taxi there's always those options.

i'd also think about how quiet it is. my accommodation is pretty quiet at night, which is really nice for someone like me who values their sleep. if, however, you want a bit of a more upbeat atmosphere you may want to be considering somewhere a bit bigger + louder instead.

also, supermarkets! further to the south of the city (the Forge is literally next door) there's a big Waitrose and a big Aldi. however to the north of the city (think Central Quay) there's a Tesco. where do you like to shop? would it be the end of the world if you couldn't shop there?

i know i'm going on a bit, but en-suites as well. i live in an accommodation with my own en suite and i couldn't live without it - so much so, in fact, that i'm gonna be living here again next year. most people i know who don't have en suites have no issue sharing a bathroom, but just like anything, i know others who have had big spats with flatmates over not cleaning the toilet and shower; not buying toilet roll, etc. it all depends, at the end of the day, on what you're happy doing!

if you have any other questions please feel free to ask me or pm them to me; i'll be more than happy to answer!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notinacreepyway)
    hi there! i'm a fresher at Hallam, and i've been living in student halls since September now.

i'm pretty sure you can apply for accommodation the moment the uni confirms your offer! i could be wrong, obviously, but i'm pretty sure the link is here.

i, like you, had an unconditional and you'll get info about your accommodation in late june/early july time. it's a bit of a wait, but it was so worth it as i'm having a really good time.

okay, things to look out for!

it all depends on your price range of course, but i'd definitely think about location. sheffield isn't a huge city and you can walk from city to collegiate campus, but my flatmate lives here next to city campus and then has to get up half an hour earlier every day to walk to collegiate. if she's having a late night study session at the library at collegiate, it's a long walk home in the dark back to my accommodation. however, on the other side of that, city campus has more events going on as it's near the students' union.

regardless, there's now a shuttle bus to and from city to campus, though, so that may be of help to you. there's also Uber here in sheffield, and the union have a great deal going on with city taxis where you hand over your student ID on the night if you've got no cash and pay the fare at the students union later, so if you want a cheap taxi there's always those options.

i'd also think about how quiet it is. my accommodation is pretty quiet at night, which is really nice for someone like me who values their sleep. if, however, you want a bit of a more upbeat atmosphere you may want to be considering somewhere a bit bigger + louder instead.

also, supermarkets! further to the south of the city (the Forge is literally next door) there's a big Waitrose and a big Aldi. however to the north of the city (think Central Quay) there's a Tesco. where do you like to shop? would it be the end of the world if you couldn't shop there?

i know i'm going on a bit, but en-suites as well. i live in an accommodation with my own en suite and i couldn't live without it - so much so, in fact, that i'm gonna be living here again next year. most people i know who don't have en suites have no issue sharing a bathroom, but just like anything, i know others who have had big spats with flatmates over not cleaning the toilet and shower; not buying toilet roll, etc. it all depends, at the end of the day, on what you're happy doing!

if you have any other questions please feel free to ask me or pm them to me; i'll be more than happy to answer!!
    I definitely want to get an accommodation with an ensuite so that I don't have to worry about cleanliness. Like you, I love a good nights sleep so quieter locations would be much better for me.

I'm hoping to pay around £110. In terms of location I'm not massively fussy around where I shop as long as it's not too expensive, aldi would be great! I'm currently looking into transferring stores from my current place of work, Mcdonalds, I know there's one right in the centre but I'm predicting it's very hard to get into. Do you have any opinions on the very central accommodations? Any that you've heard are good or ones to totally avoid?
    My course is at the City campus fyi so mostly looking at the ones closest to that.

Thanks for your super detailed reply! I want to make sure I make the right decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenMGuest)
    I definitely want to get an accommodation with an ensuite so that I don't have to worry about cleanliness. Like you, I love a good nights sleep so quieter locations would be much better for me.

I'm hoping to pay around £110. In terms of location I'm not massively fussy around where I shop as long as it's not too expensive, aldi would be great! I'm currently looking into transferring stores from my current place of work, Mcdonalds, I know there's one right in the centre but I'm predicting it's very hard to get into. Do you have any opinions on the very central accommodations? Any that you've heard are good or ones to totally avoid?
    My course is at the City campus fyi so mostly looking at the ones closest to that.

Thanks for your super detailed reply! I want to make sure I make the right decision
    hmm, okay! i currently live at exchange works, which will be £116 p/w next year. it's probably out of your price range but i proper love it here. really good location, really quiet, small flat, and i can roll out of bed at 10:30 for a lecture at 11. just for reference, it's about a 10 minute walk for me to get to aldi and about 7 or 8 minutes to get to a lecture in the big main owen building on top of hallam hill.

leadmill point is another choice and is really close to the McDonald's on the edge of the city. it's quite loud there, though, and is opposite a nightclub, and from what i hear there are always parties happening there. that's about a 6-7 minute walk from here.

other options are liberty court and liberty works. although they seem on the map to be about 12,000 miles away from anything i can walk there in under 5 minutes from exchange works. they're meant to be really nice and pretty quiet, but they're next to the ring road so they'll get busy at peak times. they're also really close to the McDonald's on the edge of town.

i've been to trigon, which is about a 4 or 5 minute walk from here, but that's a louder halls from what i understand. the inside was kind of bland - what you'd expect from student accommodation, really. the flats themselves were pretty big, though, so you'd get a lot of space living there.

devonshire courtyard, from what my coursemate says, is small and has a really "homey" feel - in that everyone recognises everyone, and they're all friends on facebook. i couldn't say anything about fenton house as i've never been and i don't know anyone who lives there.

union state/victoria halls has something of a rep within the student body for being the "party halls" - ergo it's loud, it's busy, and it's booked out very quickly. i do have a friend who graduated from hallam a few years ago, and she says the inside at the time was immaculate and really well looked after.

what course will you be studying? it's so strange being here, a year on, because a year ago i was in your shoes!!

please continue to ask questions if you have them!

ReputationRep:
    Languages (primarily Spanish) with tesol it's a really hard decision to make and I know that once I've made one I'll probably be happy with whatever I choose. Just as long as it's safe 😂 thats why I'm looking at ones closest to where I want to go because, with not being used to living in a city I think I'd be a bit on edge walking a long way at night, for example after work.
    Leadmill point was one of the main ones I was looking at along with the pinnacles and trigon. I could afford £116 but with what I'm expected loan wise it'd be quite tight and I'm hoping to just about cover accomodation so that what I earn work wise will be put to other things. Probably won't work out that way though right? 😂

ReputationRep:
    Languages (primarily Spanish) with tesol it's a really hard decision to make and I know that once I've made one I'll probably be happy with whatever I choose. Just as long as it's safe 😂 thats why I'm looking at ones closest to where I want to go because, with not being used to living in a city I think I'd be a bit on edge walking a long way at night, for example after work.
    Leadmill point was one of the main ones I was looking at along with the pinnacles and trigon. I could afford £116 but with what I'm expected loan wise it'd be quite tight and I'm hoping to just about cover accomodation so that what I earn work wise will be put to other things. Probably won't work out that way though right? 😂
    oh, what a cool course!!!! i can't speak a lick of spanish and i so wish i'd taken it after year 9.

i think choosing the accommodation is the hardest part! none of the accommodation is gross or disgusting by any means - they're all very well maintained and looked after - but it's a matter, i think, of where you'll be happiest.

i've never been to the pinnacles but from what i hear it's really, really nice there. i hadn't considered it !! it wouldn't be a particularly long walk to uni, and you'd be in the opposite direction to most of the big nightclubs, so it'll be quiet there, especially after freshers.

yeah, my loan only just covers accommodation too :/ i worked over the summer which was rubbish at the time but i'm glad i did it! i think at the end of the day if you're not willing to spend over a certain amount of your budget then you have to stick to that, as there are some cool things to see and do in sheffield. if you're either too poor to go out or working every second you're not in lectures i doubt it'll be particularly fun

ReputationRep:
    I've accepted an unconditional offer as my firm choice. Can I apply for accomodation immediately? Or is their confirmation and other steps that i need to wait for? Also if anyone can recommend the dos and donts and things to look out for when choosing that would be great
    STUDENT ACCOMMODATION FOR RENTAL AT THE PINNACLES!! En-suite room with 3/4 bed, 100mb WIFI, study space including desk and desk chair, shared kitchen and living area. Contract is with a company called DIGS and is £4,392.75 for 44 week (£107 a week) contract. There is washing facilities and a common room located on site along with a convenience store and free cashpoint. Perfect for students at Sheffield Hallam University or University of Sheffield. Ideal location just 5-10 minute walk from Sheffield Hallam University and 15-20 minute walk from the city centre. Will leave cleaning supplies for room and ensuite. Looking for someone to take over my student accommodation as I've to drop out of university due to unforeseen circumstances
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwenMOrris98)
    STUDENT ACCOMMODATION FOR RENTAL AT THE PINNACLES!! En-suite room with 3/4 bed, 100mb WIFI, study space including desk and desk chair, shared kitchen and living area. Contract is with a company called DIGS and is £4,392.75 for 44 week (£107 a week) contract. There is washing facilities and a common room located on site along with a convenience store and free cashpoint. Perfect for students at Sheffield Hallam University or University of Sheffield. Ideal location just 5-10 minute walk from Sheffield Hallam University and 15-20 minute walk from the city centre. Will leave cleaning supplies for room and ensuite. Looking for someone to take over my student accommodation as I've to drop out of university due to unforeseen circumstances

Hey,

Try asking for help at the Accommodation Services, which are next to Hallam Square. They might be able to put out an advert for your tenancy or give you some other tips for passing on your room.

Have you posted into Sheffield Hallam Facebook groups too? There are quite a few of those where lots of different people will see.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.