Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get help for depression? Watch

I want to get help because I don't wanna keep suffering in silence. I am at 6th form so how can I get help. I'm not confident and don't feel comfortable speaking to teachers about personal things. How could I do it?
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I want to get help because I don't wanna keep suffering in silence. I am at 6th form so how can I get help. I'm not confident and don't feel comfortable speaking to teachers about personal things. How could I do it?
    Try going to see your doctor
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    1) check out sites like mind.org for advice and info.

2) See your doctor. It can be quite scary to open up about mh issues, so you may want to write things down in case you get too nervous to talk about all of it. They will probably ask you a few questions and tell you about therapy like Time to talk. If you have any questions feel free to ask them.
    If you don't feel like everything was covered or it helped enough just go back. Sometimes it's difficult for them to understand in one appointment and you need to try again. It happens with physical issues too so don't feel discouraged or ignored if it happens. Hopefully it won't though.

3) Talk to student support or a trusted teacher. They can help you with things there so it's easier for you to focus on getting better. You don't have to go into any more detail than you are comfortable with. It can be as simple as "I'm having a hard time at the moment" if you want. If there is anything in particular that you are finding difficult, like homework or revision, tell them.

4) Talk to somebody. Whoever you feel comfortable talking to. That can include people on sites like this- sometimes it's easier to be anonymous. It can really help to talk through things so you don't feel so alone and things don't pile up and get all tangled in your head.

5) Simple lifestyle changes. I say "simple", but sometimes they can be hard if you are already struggling. You don't have to push it loads or anything, it's just things that can help to keep your mh a bit more manageable. Things like taking time each day to relax, getting enough sleep, eating well, getting out a bit to get fresh air etc.

Hope that helps. Just remember you do not have to go through this alone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.