Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have absolutely everything but I'm depressed. What can I do? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Thanks for your answer. I've been to six different private counsellors, have tried seven different antidepressants in different strengths and combinations, etc. My doctor just wants to try me on another antidepressant, which I can't see working. I posted on here because the professionals haven't been able to help me very much at all so far, I'm at a loss.
    I can't say I'm any kind of expert at this but I have an idea maybe...
    Find something that is 'your thing' . It can be anything from a sport, something new,
    a game, writing something, a type of music, a person. It could be anything the sillier the better imo XD

I don't know....I'm sorry I can't suggest anything better

ReputationRep:
    I have hardly anything and I am depressed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello. I was in the EXACT same situation as you are, believe it or not.

I believe what you're looking for/ desperately need is God. This might sound ridiculous right now, but not after you think deeply about it. If you've got everything materialistic and that doesn't make you happy, what is the one single thing that has the chance to make you happy?

What could also work as a temporary cure is a deep connection with someone. Not sex partners, but someone you feel a deep connection with, be it romantic or non-romantic. This will help because all love is a form of God's love, and God's love is the ONLY thing that will give humans unimaginable joy, calm, and contentedness- this seems crazy from a depressed person's negative mindset, but believe me it's true.

I think the whole point of life is to realise, at some point, that all the things us humans are chasing are worthless, they ain't worth lifting a finger for. They won't make us happy, not really, not forever, not unconditionally. Some people (like you and I) need to actually get given everything in life in order to realise their worthlessness, some people do so without having had much in life. Some people will keep chasing in the rat race till the moment they die.

Think about it my friend. I hope you will be as happy one day as I feel right now.
    Your post is so true having that soul connection with someone is the best feeling.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait until my molar cavity heals after removing a tooth because the bruising from the dentist having to work so hard because I left it in for too long. When it was dead because I really enjoy playing the clarinet and I get a lot of satisfaction from it. The teddy bears picnic was a song made for the clarinet and stuff like that just makes me feel so much better.

Changing your mind=changing your life.

ReputationRep:
      I had periods of major depression even to the point of being nearly catatonic and it took a number of years to put together a set of psychological and practical skills that helped get through rough periods and to maintain an even keel during the happier times.

The main thing is that it can get better. Probably there are other things in your life that seemed hopeless at some level or another (passing a major exam or the like) but by putting one foot in front of the other you managed something you didn't think you could.

Remember hopelessness is a symptom not a fact about your life.

You are more capable than you think you are. Be patient and kind to yourself and continue to work with professionals as well as do you own research.

ReputationRep:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPCAvzIFY-s

ReputationRep:
      I have all the money, clothes, food, gadgets, intellect/great grades, looks, sex partners and everything else I could possibly want, but I'm depressed. I do have a lot of underlying, personal issues.

Nothing helps; meds don't work (and have never, despite taking different meds in different amounts), private counselling hasn't achieved anything (in my opinion), I exercise everyday, hav a great diet and I have no idea what to do. I'm an outgoing and confident person all the time, I'm excellent in group and one to one social interactions, etc. I'm always depressed inside; I want to scream and cry as hard as I can (which I often do), and when I'm on my own I feel so lonely, sad, bitter and miserable.

Sometimes I have someone hug me in bed while I thrash about, crying and screaming, telling me that everything is okay, trying to make me feel better. I have so many thoughts rushing through my head every second of the day regardless of what I'm doing. I feel isolated, that nobody understands, and that I have a 'great life' so I have no right to be depressed. Maybe if I met someone who understood it might help, but I have never met anyone like that before. I don't know where to go from here.
      Read Nietzsche.

ReputationRep:
      why not dedicate your life to helping other people. You could work hard and put the money + future income into stock funds over many years that can compound 100 fold think about all the starving people in Africa you could help. That could give your life purpose meaning and motivation.

ReputationRep:
      Magic Mushrooms - not a joke. There is research into therapeutic applications being done as we speak and it has proven to be pretty successful at bringing people out of depression. Obviously go somewhere where psylocibin is legal (like Amsterdam), but your problem is your perspective, and mushrooms are renowned for their perspective altering properties. Be careful obviously - be in a safe environment, have a trip-sitter you trust and go easy on the dose (1g for example). If everything else has failed so far you've got nothing to lose (and people who respond with "sanity" haven't done their research).

ReputationRep:
      Do you have friends irl you can talk to about how you feel? Might sound a bit cheesy but being able to say difficult thoughts and feelings (or just a rant about life) out loud to someone who cares about you (and who you care about) can help. Doesn't cure things, but can help. Having someone you can sound out to and who isn't going to judge or try to "fix" things is really comforting.

Have you ever worked through coping skills/strategies with your counselor?

And being involved in community things really helps me. Voluntary work can be helpful- it's a great distraction, keeps you busy and you get a sense of worth from making a difference to people/the world. Or a sport/hobby/skill? Anything distracting that you enjoy and/or gets you out the house and interacting with people can help with lows mood.

I feel that you need to aknowledge God.
      This may sound ridiculous but this is why I believe our purpose it to aknowledge and connect with the Creator. Ask God to Guide you if He is there sincerely, and to show you a way. Try to discover the true meaning of life.

https://youtu.be/7d16CpWp-ok

ReputationRep:
      I have all the money, clothes, food, gadgets, intellect/great grades, looks, sex partners and everything else I could possibly want, but I'm depressed. I do have a lot of underlying, personal issues.

Nothing helps; meds don't work (and have never, despite taking different meds in different amounts), private counselling hasn't achieved anything (in my opinion), I exercise everyday, have a great diet and I have no idea what to do. I'm an outgoing and confident person all the time, I'm excellent in group and one to one social interactions, etc. I'm always depressed inside; I want to scream and cry as hard as I can (which I often do), and when I'm on my own I feel so lonely, sad, bitter and miserable.

Sometimes I have someone hug me in bed while I thrash about, crying and screaming, telling me that everything is okay, trying to make me feel better. I have so many thoughts rushing through my head every second of the day regardless of what I'm doing. I feel isolated, that nobody understands, and that I have a 'great life' so I have no right to be depressed. Maybe if I met someone who understood it might help, but I have never met anyone like that before. I don't know where to go from here.
      Embody the legend of your own narcissism:

ReputationRep:
      This is my biggest fear. Up until this point, my life's been quite :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: so my depression makes sense. I'm worried it wont go away even when everything is sorted. I feel so diseased just thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
      How do I find my purpose when everything is in front of me and I can't see a away forward at all? I'm sat here with everything I could ever want, breaking inside.
      Look deep into yourself. Spend time alone. Spend time in nature. You have been indoctrinated for years, what does your body tell you to do?

(Original post by queenofswords)
      This is my biggest fear. Up until this point, my life's been quite :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: so my depression makes sense. I'm worried it wont go away even when everything is sorted. I feel so diseased just thinking about it.
      Hope you find happiness and get rid of depression, from a Muslim

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      Hope you find happiness and get rid of depression, from a Muslim
      I am not religious, but I appreciate your kind message xx

(Original post by queenofswords)
      I am not religious, but I appreciate your kind message xx
      It's fine, I know.
      You're welcome, keep well

ReputationRep:
      Glassapple

On second thought you are probably an interesting personality.

Ok let's see. Many smart people especially teens are suffering from depression.
      Your wealth, clothes, partners seem a bit irrelevant.
      I think your main problem is : you are thinking more than you should in order to have a happy life.

First of all, you are by far not the most successful person I've seen in anything.
      You know that you can always be something more than what you are...but the truth is you can't.
      To make things worse you'll die and nothing of all that will matter at all. So why should you even try ?
      I used to have these thoughts about myself when I was in high school.
      What I deduced:
      1)Success doesn't necessarily make you happier; it makes you want even more.
      My goals as a teen was to take scholarships, go to Olympiads and get accepted at Cambridge.
      I did all of that. But it didn't matter any more. I got bored of maths I didn't want any of that anymore.
      I had new goals; federalise Europe... It had to be something really difficult and beyond me ; I don't know what I'll do if I achieve this.
      Power and success that's all I want ; it's the furthest thing from the truth but I live my life saying this to myself.
      2) Thoughts of futility and suicide don't disappear. They just become familiar.
      I know that the meaning of my life is a fake one given by me.
      I convince myself I have to follow it and it works cause my mind is usually really busy.
      But when I'm about to sleep I can't help but wonder why ?
      When I was younger I used to scream and cry in my pillow now I can't even cry or scream. I don't really care anymore.
      3) When I was explaining my situation to people I didn't expect help.
      I was having fun with their advice .
      I could see how hypocritical they were.
      All of them thought they knew how I felt ; they would advice me to start medication or having faith in a religion, sports or music.
      The couldn't help me, they won't help you. Have fun with them.
      Laugh until you scream and cry like Sisyphus ; there is nothing left but that, there was never anything else.

ReputationRep:
      Glassapple
      Also why do you avoid me? It's not necessarily a bad thing, I just wanna see what you're thinking.
      In many ways I'm just like you but older.
      You are smart, I realised that in your first thread. Ignoring me in that thread made a lot of sense to me.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.