Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone need glasses/contacts but doesn't wear them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    How the f**k is it an old wives tale if it did actually happen? :lol:
    Your eyes would have deteriorated the same had you been wearing glasses. It's logical to conclude that your vision deteriorated because you weren't wearing them, but unfortunately, there's no evidence that it causes it.

ReputationRep:
    How the f**k is it an old wives tale if it did actually happen? :lol:
    It may have deteriorated anyway without not wearing glasses.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Your eyes would have deteriorated the same had you been wearing glasses. It's logical to conclude that your vision deteriorated because you weren't wearing them, but unfortunately, there's no evidence that it causes it.

(Original post by HopelessMedic)
    It may have deteriorated anyway without not wearing glasses.
    If you say so.

ReputationRep:
    No but one time I rigged the exam just to get specs because my mum and sister had them and I felt like an oddball. It worked until they realised I actually can see well lol everyone at school who knew me for years was like >_> why do you have glasses? lol

ReputationRep:
    I have worn glasses since I was about 6 months old, I had awful eyes and could barely see anything apparently (my parents say they thought I was nearly blind) as I responded to sounds more than anything. I had a terrible astigmatism and my left eye turned in.

Slowly over the years, looking after my eyes my perscription has got better and better. I went for another eye test last week (I normally get them 6 monthly, but it's been a year since my last one) anyway the optician has told me that the reason my eyes feel so off these days is because I no longer NEED a prescription. In my right eye is 20:20 and in my left is not even +25 anymore. I still feel like I need them, though. He says I've got a psychological dependence on them and he's given me a pair of without any prescription in to help wean myself off glasses.... thought you'd all appreciate this!😬

ReputationRep:
    I wear glasses but need em 24/7 because my eyesight is really bad but my mum has glasses because she's long-sighted but she rarely wears them 😆

ReputationRep:
    I'm -1.5 and -1.25 its a difficult life :'(
    I always wanted glasses as a kid to look more geeky but now that I have glasses I just look retarded so yeah... :/

ReputationRep:
    I did that when I was first prescribed glasses, part-time. Big mistake.
    My vision deteriorated, and at my next opticians appointment, I was told that I then needed to wear glasses full-time. Meh.
    Yeah this is exactly what happened to my younger sister...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Yeah this is exactly what happened to my younger sister...
    It sucks balls, man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    I'm -1.5 and -1.25 its a difficult life :'(
    I always wanted glasses as a kid to look more geeky but now that I have glasses I just look retarded so yeah... :/
    Im -1.5 in both and wear contacts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PocketSized)
    Im -1.5 in both and wear contacts
    I just got daily contacts a couple days ago but my eyes are kind of chinky so its difficult to put them in and take them out..... i guess ive only really tried once so far lol but contacts feel like too much effort. dont you find them really tedious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    I just got daily contacts a couple days ago but my eyes are kind of chinky so its difficult to put them in and take them out..... i guess ive only really tried once so far lol but contacts feel like too much effort. dont you find them really tedious?
    Not really, i guess you just get used to them. Also i think if you think theyre worth it, then youll go to the trouble of put7tinf them in etc. But yeah, i can see qhat you mean about then being difficult because of the shape of your eye.

ReputationRep:
    im cross eyed and short sighted. ive tried wearing glasses twice both times it felt very odd. first lot im not sure were right.i need to get some as i know its got worse.

ReputationRep:
    -3.75 and -4.25, I've only had glasses for 5 years so got real bad really quickly 😕 I personally can't go without my glasses/contacts, it literally feels like I have a 50cm bubble around me I can see and everything past that is a sort of mix of colour, I wouldn't feel safe walking around without them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did that when I was first prescribed glasses, part-time. Big mistake.
    My vision deteriorated, and at my next opticians appointment, I was told that I then needed to wear glasses full-time. Meh.
    I put off getting my eyes tested for ages, even though I knew my sight wasn't good because I didn't want to wear glasses. I once got a letter sent from school because my teacher noticed I was having trouble reading things from a distance & thought I might need glasses for reading, computer use- I destroyed the letter before my mum had chance to see it. I didn't get my eyes tested until it was obvious my sight had deteriorated & when I did was told I needed to wear glasses all the time. I was really annoyed with myself then for not doing something sooner & letting my sight get that bad.

ReputationRep:
    i need glasses, have them but dont wear them.
    without looking at my paperwork i wont knowwhat strength they are but iv got astigmatism

ReputationRep:
    I was told for years I was border-line in needing reading glasses. When I was 14 they decided I know needed reading glasses. I'm now 19 and haven't even been back since!! I know I should probably go... bit embarrassed after all these years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusky Mauve)
    I would strongly advise against this - the longer you don't wear glasses when you need them, the quicker they will deteriorate because they're working harder then they should and you'll need an even stronger prescription.
    Really? I didn't even know this since I had the same prescription for 4 years.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alesha1991)
    I put off getting my eyes tested for ages, even though I knew my sight wasn't good because I didn't want to wear glasses. I once got a letter sent from school because my teacher noticed I was having trouble reading things from a distance & thought I might need glasses for reading, computer use- I destroyed the letter before my mum had chance to see it. I didn't get my eyes tested until it was obvious my sight had deteriorated & when I did was told I needed to wear glasses all the time. I was really annoyed with myself then for not doing something sooner & letting my sight get that bad.
    :hugs:

I kind of let my eyes get bad too. When I first realised I was having trouble reading the board at school, I tried to hide it, or purposely sit closer to the front-which probably drew more attention to myself tbh-and I was so annoyed when my optician said that I'd have to wear them full-time. I've been wearing them for about 7 years now, and it's actually not so bad.

Spoiler:
    Show

I mostly wear contact lenses though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alesha1991)
    I had eyes tested when I couldn't see properly (4 years ago) and got glasses but I never wear them. Each time I got my eyes tested my shortsightedness hasn't increased since the time I needed glasses. I don't know if not wearing them makes eyes worse because everyone says something different. Some even say wearing them makes eyes worse so I'm not sure now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.