Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone need glasses/contacts but doesn't wear them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirrology)
    I'm 17 and my eyesight is about -6.75 and -6.25, obviously I should be wearing them but my parents keep saying that it's the glasses which are making my eyes worse & the whole concept of wearing glasses is a scam and the companies are making money off customers constantly buying glasses/contacts etc. Also, when I stopped wearing glasses and had my appointment my optician noticed that my eyesight improved to a minimal extent
    Exactly what my mum keeps telling me!!! I first got glasses 4 years ago and almost never wear them- my eyesight is tested and it is the same as 4 years ago!!! My mum also needs glasses and doesn't wear them. She had them for 30 years now and her prescription is the same!(-2.25 on both eyes). On the other hand, she has a friend who wears glasses all the time and her prescription has gone from -1.50 4 years ago to -5 now. We also have this family friend who wore glasses since about 3 years old and she is -22 now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parrot16)
    Exactly what my mum keeps telling me!!! I first got glasses 4 years ago and almost never wear them- my eyesight is tested and it is the same as 4 years ago!!! My mum also needs glasses and doesn't wear them. She had them for 30 years now and her prescription is the same!(-2.25 on both eyes). On the other hand, she has a friend who wears glasses all the time and her prescription has gone from -1.50 4 years ago to -5 now. We also have this family friend who wore glasses since about 3 years old and she is -22 now.
    If you wear them at a young age, well a) the strength of glasses you need may be incorrect due to being unable to recognise the letters/shapes they show you and b) your eyes are still developing, so you dont want to becom dependent on them.

Let me give you two stories from my experiences . A) someone was told at a young age, that they need to wear their glasses. She never wore them. Had another eye test and was told she didn't need glasses.
    B) someone has been wearing glasses since a young age. She's practically blind without them because the poor girl has become dependent on yhem. (Should mention thats its in her family to have bad eyesight, so its hereditary, which does sort of explain it cuz her dad has extremely poor eyesight. However, hm idk)

I think it just eepends on you and your age, also how bad your eyesight is. I think you'll know yourself whether or not you need them. After all, you never get a massive change in your eyesight, so I'd say wear them. It won't do you any harm.

ReputationRep:
    i wear my glasses pretty much everyday just because i find it easier

ReputationRep:
    Lensvillage is best place to purchase contact lens.

ReputationRep:
    I've had glasses since I was five (?) and it's steadily gotten better. I only really need them for computer work, TV and school (reading off smart board) but since I was little I was made to wear them all the time. I was told I wouldn't need them by the time I was 17-20 so I'm hoping the next time I have an appointment I can get rid of them or move onto contacts (I'm 17 now).

I don't like wearing glasses, and when I went to Florida and when I go this year I won't be wearing them (only sunglasses).

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and my eyesight is about -6.75 and -6.25, obviously I should be wearing them but my parents keep saying that it's the glasses which are making my eyes worse & the whole concept of wearing glasses is a scam and the companies are making money off customers constantly buying glasses/contacts etc. Also, when I stopped wearing glasses and had my appointment my optician noticed that my eyesight improved to a minimal extent
    My eyesight is -3.75 and -.4.00 with astigmatism added in. I know what it looks like when I don't have my glasses on. You must be walking around in a blurry fog when you don't have yours on! Whether you wear your glasses or not makes no difference if your vision gets worse or not, genetics and lifestyle has more to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    How the f**k is it an old wives tale if it did actually happen? :lol:
    There have been studies where they under prescribed kids and gave others the actual prescription that they needed and the kids who were under prescribed vision got worse faster than those who got the prescription they needed. The studies were terminated early because the evidence that they were causing harm was overwhelming.

ReputationRep:
    The only times where I wear glasses is in class/library. Otherwise, I can pretty much go through the day without them.
    I am about -3.75 (sphere and cylinder combined) and I wear them only when I feel I need them. My vision improved by about 1 diopter (sphere and cylinder combined) within 2 years of doing so.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.