Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you raise your child as vegan? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it irresponsible to restrict a child's diet? Or does it encourage healthy eating?

The thing is that animal foods like meat, fish, eggs and dairy products are extremely nutritious. They are loaded with high quality protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and various lesser known nutrients that have important effects on health.

Placing your ethical values above your child's health and welfare is irresponsible imo.

ReputationRep:
      I'll be feeding my children nothing but lettuce and carrots. I identify as a rabbit.

ReputationRep:
      I intend to (if I wind up having children, anyway). You can eat perfectly healthily and still be vegan. Once they're old enough to decide for themselves, they're at perfect liberty to, and it's much easier to be raised vegan and decide to start eating meat and dairy than to be raised omnivorous and decide to give it all up. Don't quote me, Mathemagicien; I don't have time.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cherryred90s)
      Is it irresponsible to restrict a child's diet? Or does it encourage healthy eating?
      It's not a restriction if you do it right, yeah if you eat sugary snacks and fizzy drinks all day you're gonna be restricting, if you do it with lots of fruits and veg, fats/nuts etc. Only thing you need to worry about is calcium and B12 which are easily supplemented.
      • Political Ambassador

The thing is that a diet that includes meat is far more effective at providing the required nutrition for muscle recovery and repair and that's why only a few top athletes are vegan.

Moreover a vegan diet is obv less nutritious and it would require organized planning in order to make sure that the infant doesn't develop a deficit, especially in vitamin B12.

(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
        I intend to (if I wind up having children, anyway). You can eat perfectly healthily and still be vegan. Once they're old enough to decide for themselves, they're at perfect liberty to, and it's much easier to be raised vegan and decide to start eating meat and dairy than to be raised omnivorous and decide to give it all up. Don't quote me, Mathemagicien; I don't have time.
        Ooh, I'm such a rebel.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Nulliverse)
        It's not a restriction if you do it right, yeah if you eat sugary snacks and fizzy drinks all day you're gonna be restricting, if you do it with lots of fruits and veg, fats/nuts etc. Only thing you need to worry about is calcium and B12 which are easily supplemented.
        Marmite <3 <3
        • Political Ambassador
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        If I was a vegan then I probably would. At least until they were old enough to make their own choices, in which case I would furnish them with the pertinent information. It is entirely possible to raise happy, healthy children who happen to be vegan. It simply requires some planning and forethought.

ReputationRep:
        I'd disown them by publicly smacking them with a massive cucumber.

ReputationRep:
        The funny thing is that our children will 'raise' us into veganism.. ~

(Original post by The Joker ~)
          The funny thing is that our children will 'raise' us into veganism.. ~
          The funnier thing is that our grandchildren will probably have to resort to cannibalism.. ~

ReputationRep:
          I'm vegetarian, but when I have children in the future I'd give them an omnivorous diet just to easily balance their needs. Kids burn energy fast, it's far easier to feed them meat, fish and dairy, esp being a busy mum with kids requiring a nutritional balanced diet with all vitamins and etc. They can grow up to choose what kind of diet they'd like to follow when they understand/become educated Vegan is fine, just might be hard to plan around but that's purely up to you and how you handle it! Just my personal opinion

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Mathemagicien)
          The funnier thing is that our grandchildren will probably have to resort to cannibalism.. ~

Someone's been watching too much television... ~

(Original post by The Joker ~)
            Someone's been watching too much television... ~

ReputationRep:
            If I were vegan I'd be seriously torn between teaching my kids what I considered to be ethical and the amount of effort required to ensure they didn't end up with a serious deficiency. I know a guy who was raised vegan that doesn't seem to be in any real health trouble tho so maybe it's not that difficult idk

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by cherryred90s)
            Personally, I wouldn't attempt to raise a child as vegan. Parents have a responsibility to teach their children about the importance of healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle, but I think that putting a growing and developing child on a restrictive diet is too controlling, and a bit sinister if I'm honest. Teach your kids about vegans, but don't force the lifestyle on them. Let them make their own minds up about it, and if they want to practice the diet when they're older and more knowledgable, then that's absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Mathemagicien)
            The thing is that animal foods like meat, fish, eggs and dairy products are extremely nutritious. They are loaded with high quality protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and various lesser known nutrients that have important effects on health.

Placing your ethical values above your child's health and welfare is irresponsible imo.
            Yep, all of this basically!
            • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
            No. I don't want my child to be short/weak.

ReputationRep:
            You just don't get all the proteins you need from lettuce and beans mate. "Well balanced meal" means "well balanced meal."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.