Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Economics, Maths, Further Maths A Levels for Economics Degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and am currently studying Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I really want to drop physics as I do not enjoy it, plus it is not relevant to my degree/career path (economicsy, financey etc)

I don't know what to do because many top unis see maths and further maths as one A Level (e.g. LSE)

Which universities see further maths as a fourth subject only and which wouldn't mind Economics, Maths and Further Maths for an Economics Degree?

My dream/considering Unis are UCL, Cambridge, Warwick, Queen Mary UoL, King's College London, Cardiff etc.

Also what would you recommend I do?

Thank you :-)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAspireToSucceed)
    I'm in year 12 and am currently studying Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I really want to drop physics as I do not enjoy it, plus it is not relevant to my degree/career path (economicsy, financey etc)

I don't know what to do because many top unis see maths and further maths as one A Level (e.g. LSE)

Which universities see further maths as a fourth subject only and which wouldn't mind Economics, Maths and Further Maths for an Economics Degree?

My dream/considering Unis are UCL, Cambridge, Warwick, Queen Mary UoL, King's College London, Cardiff etc.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prosp...-requirements/

Would recommend Bath, especially for the placement year which is invaluable. And they desire FM.. I think as a subject on it should own rather than the way LSE does it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm in year 13 and study Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Business, and have applied to Economics at LSE, UCL, Warwick, Cambridge and Essex, so since I have been through what you're asking about I understand your current situation.

LSE rejected me because they said my subject choice is "too narrow" for Economics at their university, so in your case I believe if you'd want to apply there I would keep Physics through your second year. I understand you might think that it is not related to your degree/career but universities understand how challenging Physics is at A-level and so are more lenient to give candidates an offer if they perform well in it.

On the other hand, I've had offers from UCL and Essex so far and am still waiting for Warwick and Cambridge.
    So honestly I think it depends on the university and what preferences it has for your subject choice. It's always great to do plenty of research on their websites about preferred and less preferred subject combinations for the course(s) you ultimately decide to apply for.

Hope this helps and good luck!

ReputationRep:

Have you consider a mathematics and economics degree? This would be equally as good to get into banking/ finance.
    @Princepieman would be able to back me up on this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Have you consider a mathematics and economics degree? This would be equally as good to get into banking/ finance.
    @Princepieman would be able to back me up on this
    A music degree would be equally as good for banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    A music degree would be equally as good for banking.
    Not sure I'd go that far but ok....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma73737)
    Hi!
    I'm in year 13 and study Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Business, and have applied to Economics at LSE, UCL, Warwick, Cambridge and Essex, so since I have been through what you're asking about I understand your current situation.

LSE rejected me because they said my subject choice is "too narrow" for Economics at their university, so in your case I believe if you'd want to apply there I would keep Physics through your second year. I understand you might think that it is not related to your degree/career but universities understand how challenging Physics is at A-level and so are more lenient to give candidates an offer if they perform well in it.

On the other hand, I've had offers from UCL and Essex so far and am still waiting for Warwick and Cambridge.
    So honestly I think it depends on the university and what preferences it has for your subject choice. It's always great to do plenty of research on their websites about preferred and less preferred subject combinations for the course(s) you ultimately decide to apply for.

Hi do you think maths, economics, chemistry and an EPQ is a good combination for econ at a top uni? (Like LSE, Cambridge...)

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Lol I think I'd die if I did physics for A level!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Hi do you think maths, economics, chemistry and an EPQ is a good combination for econ at a top uni? (Like LSE, Cambridge...)
    Universities love sciences and maths so yes! I did an EPQ as well, so they have seemed to like that too. I suppose it shows independent study and is good practice for dissertations or projects that you'd have to do at uni What course do you want to study?

ReputationRep:
    Lol I think I'd die if I did physics for A level!
    Lol, well from what I've heard from friends they have said it is more difficult in the first year, but then gets more interesting and slightly easier in some areas in the second year. In the end it depends on your preferences and willingness to study and work hard for a subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Not sure I'd go that far but ok....
    I'm not joking...

ReputationRep:
    Universities love sciences and maths so yes! I did an EPQ as well, so they have seemed to like that too. I suppose it shows independent study and is good practice for dissertations or projects that you'd have to do at uni What course do you want to study?
    Economics!

ReputationRep:
    Economics!
    Ah, well I think the subject choice you mentioned earlier for Economics would be highly preferable for top universities 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah, well I think the subject choice you mentioned earlier for Economics would be highly preferable for top universities 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you!x

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you predicted and also what did you get at GCSE?
    Also please let me know if you got in xx

ReputationRep:
    Swap EPQ for further maths (or, even better, do both)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    Swap EPQ for further maths (or, even better, do both)
    I don't think I can cope with that tbh! What if I get A*A*A*A*?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, what are you predicted and also what did you get at GCSE?
    Also please let me know if you got in xx
    Hi! I'm predicted A*AAA from what I remember my tutor telling me. At GCSE I got 6A*s, 5As.
    Last year at AS I got AA for Maths and Further Maths with an average of 86 UMS.
    I haven't actually heard back with their final decisions yet, but I will let you know as soon as I hear back xx

Update: After an excessively long wait I have been rejected by Selwyn College

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge don't mind 3 A Levels

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm predicted A*AAA from what I remember my tutor telling me. At GCSE I got 6A*s, 5As.
    Last year at AS I got AA for Maths and Further Maths with an average of 86 UMS.
    I haven't actually heard back with their final decisions yet, but I will let you know as soon as I hear back xx

Update: After an excessively long wait I have been rejected by Selwyn College
    At GCSE I got 11 As and a C(in P.E.) at a top girls grammar school, will this hinder my chances of getting into one of the unis I mentioned? -Esp since I don't have ASs anymore, apart from my Maths and Further Maths

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.