Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    I am Janneke, I'm from the Netherlands and last week I've applied for a degree at the university of Edinburgh. Hopefully they will make me an offer.
    Right now I'm figuring out how it all works with the finances. I know SAAS is willing to pay my university fees, which is great. However, nor me nor my parents are able to pay for my livingcosts while I am in Schotland. In the Netherlands I can get a student loan which I will have to pay back later, but if I choose for that, I may not accept the fund that SAAS offers.
    Is there a possibility to get something similar in Schotland? A loan or something that I can pay back later?

Thanks in advance!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Check if Edinburgh have any scholarships available for EU nationals. Otherwise, I believe SAAS do not fund EU students' living costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Check if Edinburgh have any scholarships available for EU nationals. Otherwise, I believe SAAS do not fund EU students' living costs.
    they do, but it won't cover my livingcosts completely. I thought maybe it's possible to 'borrow' money in Schotland from the government, or another organisation, just like in the netherlands, but I guess it's not.
    That means I'll have to borrow all the money (university fees + living costs) from the Dutch government, and pay it back later. It's just a shame I'll have to reject the 'free' money the scottish government offers me ;-)

ReputationRep:
    How can EU students get living costs loans from SAAS?

ReputationRep:
    You can get a living costs loan only if you had lived in Scotland for at least 3 years before the start of your course. If you hadn't, there is no way to get a loan for EU nationals

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.