Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Well done Switzerland - the only sane country left in Europe Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    And we wonder why levels of integration, tolerance and respect are so low.
    Because we stand against gender segregation? Okay...

Are we meant to tolerate and respect gender segregation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)

Are we meant to tolerate and respect gender segregation?
    We already do. And indeed, we positively encourage it. We have girls state schools and boys state schools. We have the scouts and the guides. We have the Women's Institute and we have London Gentlemen's Clubs. We have ladies tennis clubs and men's golf clubs. Need I go on?

ReputationRep:
    We already do. And indeed, we positively encourage it. We have girls state schools and boys state schools. We have the scouts and the guides. We have the Women's Institute and we have London Gentlemen's Clubs. We have ladies tennis clubs and men's golf clubs. Need I go on?
    Theyre different as they are single gendered in their nature and people know that.

However...

The girls in question went to a CO-ED school - if they want to go to all girls lessons, they should've gone to a all girls school. END.

ReputationRep:
    The girls in question went to a CO-ED school - if they want to go to all girls lessons, they should've gone to a all girls school. END.
    Perhaps she wanted to get co-ed education but didn't want to do swimming with boys? This is swimming we are talking about here. I find it all rather sad that a dispute over a swimming lesson has become so bit. It is a swimming lesson. Not an assault on Western values. So she doesn't want to swim with boys.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps she wanted to get co-ed education but didn't want to do swimming with boys? This is swimming we are talking about here. I find it all rather sad that a dispute over a swimming lesson has become so bit. It is a swimming lesson. Not an assault on Western values. So she doesn't want to swim with boys.
    There is no mention of the girls' will in any of the court proceedings. Moreover, this is a matter of integration into local society; not western values. It is about defending the interests of the children.

ReputationRep:

It's the parents will not hers. There is no mention of hers and anyway she's a child - her opinion doesn't matter. Since when does a child get to dictate what lessons they want to do? You wouldn't say the same if it were a maths lesson. I fail to see the difference.

If they didn't want her swimming with boys that strongly, they shouldn't have sent her there - simple. Plus, it's not a good way to assimilate either, to just follow your believes regardless of the culture of the country in which you live. As well as trying to force (by a court) your culture into the society in which you live especially when the school had already offered a fair compromise to her parents, which they rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    To my knowledge, you're the only intelligent poster from the Trumpist-Brexiteer crowd.

What is your conclusion?
    Haha , that's a good sweeping generalisation! Calling everyone who voted to leave and Trump an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Haha , that's a good sweeping generalisation! Calling everyone who voted to leave and Trump an idiot.
    He would also complain (quite rightly) if someone made a sweeping generalisation about Muslims or SJW's etc. Oh the irony of his comment, you couldnt make it up! :lol::facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Switzerland, the country we should try to emulate:
    - outside NATO
    - has no nuclear deterrent
    - traded market access with the EU for accepting free movement
    - has a higher proportion of immigrants in its population than the UK

Agreed but the problem you have with people who would say you & I are wrong, are the type of people who like to have their cake and eat it, so itll never get through to them.

A daft metaphor. What else are you going to do with a cake if not eat it? At least with cream you can rub it all over your girlfriend before you eat..............never mind.

I do agree with the thread. Countries do give in too easily to muslim demands. Muslims dont like living like we do? Tough! I dont like speed limits so I will just whinge. I will not go to the high courts demanding the M25 be turned into an Autobahn.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.