Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I need some advice as I'm stressing a lot about my career. I have just started a new job in the sector I want to work in (health/public health) but am really not enjoying it so far. Unfortunately it's not the type of work I want to do in the sector at all, but was relevant to previous work ex and a foot in. But I'm worried that I will get stuck and won't be able to move over to the types of roles I really want (policy or research and analysis) later on since my current role won't really help me develop skills such as data analysis which I want/need.

I have tried applying to internships in these roles previously but they are very competitive and roles I have been rejected for were filled by people who had a masters or more numerate/relevant degree (my degree was inter-disciplinary; I think I may have missed a trick unfortunately in showcasing relevant modules which I think helped me secure my current role). But it seems as though the bar just keeps getting higher and higher with a masters now needed for even unpaid roles - but that's a different story. So instead I got accepted to a different internship with the company, in health but in a different field so took that (unpaid). I did an internship in 2nd year but in a different sector as I didn't know what I wanted to do. I'm worried I've missed the boat a bit now - the people in the internships I wanted have now gone on to get related roles which they are more suited to now than I am given their experience.I want to eventually take a masters in public health but am worried that I will be back to square one but with more debt.

What can I do to make sure I don't get stuck in a certain type of role that I'm not happy with? How can I improve these skills in the meantime without being able to have a qualification or internship to show for it? Are there any volunteering opportunities I can do I evenings or weekends that would enable me to develop these skills? Will a masters help me? What should I do in the mean time (I want to give this job a chance, and also can't afford to not have one)?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest staying for at least a year so it looks good on your part. Employers don't want people who are only going to stay for a few months and then quit. In the mean time, try to build on your skills to the best that you can. As it's still in the same sector, it could be useful for future jobs. I know it's not something you like but don't leave so soon, give it time for you to settle and who knows, you may start to enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I'd suggest staying for at least a year so it looks good on your part. Employers don't want people who are only going to stay for a few months and then quit. In the mean time, try to build on your skills to the best that you can. As it's still in the same sector, it could be useful for future jobs. I know it's not something you like but don't leave so soon, give it time for you to settle and who knows, you may start to enjoy it.
    But I'm more worried that I will get stuck in these kind of roles whilst other people are going out there and getting the relevant experience they need for the type of roles I'd like to do? So that if I stay in this for a year I won't really be much better off because although it's in the same sector I haven't learnt any new skills from before?

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid you can't always get exactly what you want in life, someone has to take on the boring office jobs that no one wants to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    But I'm more worried that I will get stuck in these kind of roles whilst other people are going out there and getting the relevant experience they need for the type of roles I'd like to do? So that if I stay in this for a year I won't really be much better off because although it's in the same sector I haven't learnt any new skills from before?
    Have you considered staying in the job so you can apply for internal vacancies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Len Goodman)
    I'm afraid you can't always get exactly what you want in life, someone has to take on the boring office jobs that no one wants to do.
    It's not a boring office job. Quite a competitive job that many people would like to do. Just not exactly what I'm looking for. If I can get something better in a few months, why settle? That's my question really - how to find the opportunities to maintain or progress my skills whilst in a role I'm not 100% keen on so I can get something better (I was never planning to stay here forever, most people in these roles in the organisation only stay for a few months as they tend to progress higher within that time - I just hope the progression happens within a more relevant role).

ReputationRep:
    For those interested, my manager suggested this week that I apply for a job at a higher level that they currently have a vacancy for (without me referring to this job, but just from seeing my ambition at work). The role is also more scientific and research-based, so aligned to my interests. Not sure if I'll get it because the actual role is quite a step up, but it's a nice encouragement. Moral of the story I guess is if you're committed to progressing, make it known and hopefully your colleagues will be very encouraging of your development. Nothing wrong with having ambition (and wanting to move out of a 'boring office job') as long as you back it up with hard work and work ethic (which I recognise not everyone does).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.