Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Inappropriate advertisements on this website Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why are you forcing me to look at inappropriate advertisements when browsing TSR? And before someone says it , the advertisement I'm talking about isn't an adchoices one so no it isn't based on browsing history or search terms. I'm sure there are plenty of really young people on here too who shouldn't have to see ads like that.

ReputationRep:
    the only adverts i find offensive are those for luxury cars & things i cannot afford

ReputationRep:
    All I ever get is uni ads, but maybe that's because I spend so much time on their sites greeting about entry requirements lol
    To be fair, TSR probably has no say over what ads are shown, it'll be the ad companies that sponser them. If they weren't there TSR membership might not be free
    If you go to your browser settings you might be able to block inappropriate content

ReputationRep:
    I've just switched off adblock for a sec to see what's going on, I've just got adverts for phones and phone contracts. Before I had adblock on all the time I was getting lots of adverts for women's clothing, which was a bit weird as a guy.

What are these "innapropriate" ones tho? I want those ones

Edit: Immediately after leaving the thread I got two adverts trying to sell me sex toys. 2 for £25, what a deal!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echo00)
    Why are you forcing me to look at inappropriate advertisements when browsing TSR? And before someone says it , the advertisement I'm talking about isn't an adchoices one so no it isn't based on browsing history or search terms. I'm sure there are plenty of really young people on here too who shouldn't have to see ads like that.
    What inappropriate adverts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I've just switched off adblock for a sec to see what's going on, I've just got adverts for phones and phone contracts. Before I had adblock on all the time I was getting lots of adverts for women's clothing, which was a bit weird as a guy.

What are these "innapropriate" ones tho? I want those ones

Edit: Immediately after leaving the thread I got two adverts trying to sell me sex toys. 2 for £25, what a deal!
    If i remember I saw a lingerie one with the word "seduce". Nice to know that TSR thinks I can pull

Edit:*knows

ReputationRep:
    It's down to all those key words in dirty threads I create!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echo00)
    I SEE THOSE ADVERTS TOOO!!!!!!

I can't access over 18 using the BT (can via other wifi and 3G) and the website wouldn't even open for me! I thought hat we couldn't discuss sex tips?!!! I can't even say ****!!!

I genuinely thought of making this thread before but then wondered if it was just me.

ReputationRep:
    Just use AdBlock, simple as that, really... No ads whatsoever.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Use AdBlock
    It blocks out ads on other websites too

ReputationRep:
    I've not looked at unis in ages, but I turned off adblocker to see what you were talking about: 2ads for Eon energy, Nottingham Uni, BPP Uni, and Nationwide loans Now I'm sure those are all pretty standard things to be seeing on a student site I don't know what you guys are complaining about, if it really offends you that much, then you should get an adblocker.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What are they about? I've always used uBlock so don't see any ads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachū)
    What are they about? I've always used uBlock so don't see any ads.
    Well after disabling adblock I got three. Two were from lovehoney, who sell sex toys. The other was something about warwick uni accomodation. Perhaps that particular combination will be useful to somebody.

ReputationRep:
    I also just disabled my adblock just to see if this was true. It's been about an hour and nothing other than university adverts came up and how Nadia 'hated the campus' until these just popped up while I was browsing a thread :holmes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

And although I do love a good bargain, is TSR really the best place for me to be finding this seasonally appropriate deal? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    All I see is just uni ads
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think these adverts are coming up due to that article thing they did a few weeks ago, sponsors maybe?

ReputationRep:
    I have a high volume of sex related adverts and have come to the conclusion that it's based on my browsing history because nobody on TSR would need such adverts.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    I also just disabled my adblock just to see if this was true. It's been about an hour and nothing other than university adverts came up and how Nadia 'hated the campus' until these just popped up while I was browsing a thread :holmes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

And although I do love a good bargain, is TSR really the best place for me to be finding this seasonally appropriate deal? :beard:
    Captain Jack Thoughts on this or is there nothing that can be done? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    Captain Jack Thoughts on this or is there nothing that can be done? :beard:
    I also posted a thread about this in AtCT about an hour ago, so hopefully someone will see it and respond accordingly

ReputationRep:
    "The campus sucked ****"

Name:  imgad.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  7.8 KB

Oh Jon!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.