Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Guys im going to university soon i am studying applied science extended dipolma and i absoloutley hate it i am so **** at it except biology but half of the time i still dont know what the hell im doing.

I chose the course because my parents wanted me to get into midwifery or nursing as it is quiker to start working alothough i hate hospitals and i dont lile to be in one place they say nurses ect earn alot.
    but i dont think thats gonna happen anyways because my chemistry teacher says i am working at a pass im so bad a science but she does help me alot to get atleast a merit.

At the same time i love fashion and clothes ect. So i may want to go into a job as a fashion buyer, fashion marketer or PR but i dont want to end up mot getting a job or earning low money honestly i dont know what is best so i mignt want to study retail management for or fashiom
    Managment but like i said i meed advice.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jterrose)
    Guys im going to university soon i am studying applied science extended dipolma and i absoloutley hate it i am so **** at it except biology but half of the time i still dont know what the hell im doing.

I chose the course because my parents wanted me to get into midwifery or nursing as it is quiker to start working alothough i hate hospitals and i dont lile to be in one place they say nurses ect earn alot.
    but i dont think thats gonna happen anyways because my chemistry teacher says i am working at a pass im so bad a science but she does help me alot to get atleast a merit.

At the same time i love fashion and clothes ect. So i may want to go into a job as a fashion buyer, fashion marketer or PR but i dont want to end up mot getting a job or earning low money honestly i dont know what is best so i mignt want to study retail management for or fashiom
    Managment but like i said i meed advice.
    From a nursing dropout, i really think you shouldn't apply for it from what it sounds like. I think you should seriously considering taking a gap year to figure things out so you aren't rushing a decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    From a nursing dropout, i really think you shouldn't apply for it from what it sounds like. I think you should seriously considering taking a gap year to figure things out so you aren't rushing a decision.
    hey why did you drop out?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    hey why did you drop out?
    I didnt enjoy the job at all, couldnt cope with the lack of work life balance or the emotional side of it or the shift pattern.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt enjoy the job at all, couldnt cope with the lack of work life balance or the emotional side of it or the shift pattern.
    yeah im quite in my feelings all the time i fall into depression quikly and i get stressed easily along with anxiety seems like nurses are really emotionally strong

ReputationRep:
    one more question is it hard and why well ofc its hard but like why if you can summarise the it would be helpful
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    one more question is it hard and why well ofc its hard but like why if you can summarise the it would be helpful
    yes, it's long days, i know many people do it but i felt like i had no time to do much after I got home from placement. If you havent had any nursing work experience yet, you shouldnt even consider applying before getting some.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm in the same boat as you except I'm in my first yer of college and I absolutely hate applied science as well. I only did science because I wanted to please my parents, but I have a real passion for languages and want to be an interpreter instead of a GP, which is what I would have been if i wanted to do scince. If I were you I would forget about your parents and do what makes you happy by going into fashion and doing things you love if that is what makes you happy .I dont mean to sound rude here, but you should have spoke up earlier so that you could have done a course in fashion and designing. If your parents don't approve, it is your life at the end of the day and they will get over it. And as for the low pay,if it is a job that you love, well then you wont really care about the money. I should have spoke up ages ago and said that I want to study languages instead of science but I guess I was scared of disapointing. On Tjursday I'm going to talk to my form tutor to discuss it with her and see if I can change courses. Maybe you should discuss this issue with your form tutor as well and then your parents about dropping out of applied science and doing a fashion course. I know how nerve racking and scary this situation is. I have been thinking about it for a while, but now in the new year, it has been bothering me so much because time is running out, I'm going to uni next year and I don;t wantto do something that I hate. Anyway, sory this reply is sooo long but this is just so relatable. Anyway good luck with your decision and I hope u get what u want!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Globay)
    Hi. I'm in the same boat as you except I'm in my first yer of college and I absolutely hate applied science as well. I only did science because I wanted to please my parents, but I have a real passion for languages and want to be an interpreter instead of a GP, which is what I would have been if i wanted to do scince. If I were you I would forget about your parents and do what makes you happy by going into fashion and doing things you love if that is what makes you happy .I dont mean to sound rude here, but you should have spoke up earlier so that you could have done a course in fashion and designing. If your parents don't approve, it is your life at the end of the day and they will get over it. And as for the low pay,if it is a job that you love, well then you wont really care about the money. I should have spoke up ages ago and said that I want to study languages instead of science but I guess I was scared of disapointing. On Tjursday I'm going to talk to my form tutor to discuss it with her and see if I can change courses. Maybe you should discuss this issue with your form tutor as well and then your parents about dropping out of applied science and doing a fashion course. I know how nerve racking and scary this situation is. I have been thinking about it for a while, but now in the new year, it has been bothering me so much because time is running out, I'm going to uni next year and I don;t wantto do something that I hate. Anyway, sory this reply is sooo long but this is just so relatable. Anyway good luck with your decision and I hope u get what u want!!
    hey thankyou for this but its too late I am 18 now i have to continue my journey i might become a fashion buyer because i dont want to desgn clothes but people are telling me oh it will behard to get a job and its scary because i don't want to get a degree and have wasted my time also ive applied for a retail management course for uni and they arenot asking for any specific grades.and wowww you are so brave i wash i had done that oh my goodness i hope you are ableto live out your dream asan enterpretur. aslo as for mycareer choice for a fashion buyer people around me are just saying u have to pick something for the long term that job wont get you any were and it just strssful argh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.