Turn on thread page Beta

When do universities receive our A-Level results? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've heard many dates being bandied about, such as the 10th, 12th and 15th. Does anyone know the exact date that universities will receive A-Level results?

ReputationRep:
    Scottish results are being processed by UCAS already, though we get results on Tuesday. I'm getting nervous!

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who cant wait to know whether or not u have made it to ur 1st choice uni, here is what i did.

the day before results were out, i callled the accommodation department to ask if i could change my options. They tolds me i had been allocated a place at blah blah hall.......... Bingo! They only allocate rooms once they know you are coming for sure and have met all conditional requirements!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Scottish results are being processed by UCAS already, though we get results on Tuesday. I'm getting nervous!
    yep. this is from UCAS track

(Original post by UCAS track)
    UCAS is currently processing the Scottish Qualifications Authority examination results. So that we can maintain the confidentiality of the results, we will not be updating the track service until the afternoon of 10 August. You can still use track to reply to your offers, but you should note that your record will not show your replies until 10 August

ReputationRep:
    When does the UCAS site get updated? Is it before 10am on the 19th?

ReputationRep:
    Most of the exams slips for A Levels will have been printed now! I'm so nervous... :mad: . Regarding results, they are all sent by the exam boards to UCAS who then match them up with a candidate's offer, so that they know if any conditional offer held has been reached. All of the applicants' universities are sent their AL results as this quickens the process considerably during clearing, especially in subjects such as medicine where 'i was rejected but now do you want me' scenarios are common. None of this is allowed to take place via email, so I think* that results are sent to UCAS and from UCAS by courier on CD-roms. But I could be wrong- i remember reading something along those lines though.

There is nothing we can do now. Appeals can not be made yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)
    For those of you who cant wait to know whether or not u have made it to ur 1st choice uni, here is what i did.

the day before results were out, i callled the accommodation department to ask if i could change my options. They tolds me i had been allocated a place at blah blah hall.......... Bingo! They only allocate rooms once they know you are coming for sure and have met all conditional requirements!
    Hypothetically, if their response was "I am sorry, but we are not processing any accomodation details until after results are published" would you assume you had not got in, or simply that they are telling the truth and accomodation is bottom of the pile on their "To Do" list?

They surely wouldn't say that you have not got in, as it is easier to let slip what hall you are in, than "I'm sorry, you didn't make the grades" before the 19th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)

I may think about emailing them to request a certain block of accomadation then (they will report back that they are CHANGING it), however I think it would make me too nervous - what if they said we cannot say anything - you would start thinking you hadn't got in when you could have.

ReputationRep:
    I sent them my IB report card one month ago ( I am an international student, I had a conditonal offer) and about 3 days ago they sent me a letter saying I have been accepted into the halls I chose to be in (KCL)..\

do you think this means I have a place at the college for sure????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    I sent them my IB report card one month ago ( I am an international student, I had a conditonal offer) and about 3 days ago they sent me a letter saying I have been accepted into the halls I chose to be in (KCL)..\

do you think this means I have a place at the college for sure????
    If you met their offer then definitely

If not, then its still highly likely that you have been accepted. As you have your IB results, phone KCL and they will let you know there and then. Its only A-Levels in England/Wales that are held up till 19th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    If you met their offer then definitely

If not, then its still highly likely that you have been accepted. As you have your IB results, phone KCL and they will let you know there and then. Its only A-Levels in England/Wales that are held up till 19th.
    If he hasn't met his offer, then he will have to wait until the 19th, universities can't go allocating places to IB students who have missed their offer, what if all the alevel students make their offer and leave them over subscribed, or what if they'd prefer one of the alevel students who misses their offer?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't meet the offer by one point, so I hope its not that crucial... I've already told them, so they know.. I was kind of suprised to recieve the letter saying I've been accepted to Hughes Parry hall..
    I hope it means something... : :confused: ????

ReputationRep:
    but at the interview I was told I was one of their favouite candidates..but don't know whats true about it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    If he hasn't met his offer, then he will have to wait until the 19th, universities can't go allocating places to IB students who have missed their offer, what if all the alevel students make their offer and leave them over subscribed, or what if they'd prefer one of the alevel students who misses their offer?
    Well the Universities have Scottish results already, and I am fairly sure that Scots can do all the post-exam negotiations for near-misses and clearing as soon as they get their results (10th) While the official list of places in clearing may not be published until 19th

(Original post by http://www.ucas.ac.uk/getting/clearing)
    If you are eligible for Clearing, you don't need to ask UCAS for details. We will send you a CEF and Clearing Instructions booklet automatically. Applicants taking Scottish Highers will get their forms shortly after results are announced on 10 August 2004, and those taking A levels will get theirs after results are announced on 19 August 2004. People taking other qualifications and not holding offers will receive their forms in mid-July. Barring exceptional circumstances, all applicants will receive CEFs by 1 September 2004.
    So yes they do open clearing as and when people get their results. Its just tough luck to A-Level candidates if a lesser-qualified Scot/IB/EB/Other candidate takes a place they would have wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Well the Universities have Scottish results already, and I am fairly sure that Scots can do all the post-exam negotiations for near-misses and clearing as soon as they get their results (10th) While the official list of places in clearing may not be published until 19th
    Doesn't seem very fair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Doesn't seem very fair
    I think it is OK at the moment given the relatively small percentages of Scottish students going to English Unis due to the fees, and there are not a vast number of IB/EB/Other applicants anyway.

If the numbers changed so that A-Levels were not so dominant then maybe there would be a case for synchronising clearing. As such though there is probably more statistical uncertanty in the unis own calculations than is affected by the offset

ReputationRep:
    I think it is OK at the moment given the relatively small percentages of Scottish students going to English Unis due to the fees, and there are not a vast number of IB/EB/Other applicants anyway.

If the numbers changed so that A-Levels were not so dominant then maybe there would be a case for synchronising clearing. As such though there is probably more statistical uncertanty in the unis own calculations than is affected by the offset
    Indeed. not something to get caught up on. And indeed there is always going to be people who get to the phone before others who are perhaps more deserving.

ReputationRep:
    So yes they do open clearing as and when people get their results. Its just tough luck to A-Level candidates if a lesser-qualified Scot/IB/EB/Other candidate takes a place they would have wanted.
    Thats unbeleavably unfair - everyone should have the same chance in clearing. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    If the uni gets your results before you do, does that mean you don't have to phone them up on results day?
    Sorry, this bit is the bit that confuses me a little about the whole process, so if anyone could explain it briefly (or link to a page that does), it would be very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    If the uni gets your results before you do, does that mean you don't have to phone them up on results day?
    Sorry, this bit is the bit that confuses me a little about the whole process, so if anyone could explain it briefly (or link to a page that does), it would be very much appreciated.
    You should only phone them if you missed your offer. If you got the grades you need and phone them they'll be pissed off at you.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.