Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When do universities receive our A-Level results? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Thats unbeleavably unfair - everyone should have the same chance in clearing. :mad:
    The other way of looking at it though is from a Scottish students POV. Say your Firm is Oxford, and your insurance St Andrews and you miss by 1 grade. St Andrews needs to know whether Oxford is taking you or not ASAP, so they can adjust their near-miss acceptances etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    The other way of looking at it though is from a Scottish students POV. Say your Firm is Oxford, and your insurance St Andrews and you miss by 1 grade. St Andrews needs to know whether Oxford is taking you or not ASAP, so they can adjust their near-miss acceptances etc.
    But St Andrews will be taking people with alevels, so they too need to wait for the full picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    That's true - and it would be horrible to be left in limbo for a week or two not knowing where you are going until the rest of the results come out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    That's true - and it would be horrible to be left in limbo for a week or two not knowing where you are going until the rest of the results come out!
    As horrible as missing your dream university offer to somebody less able than yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    You should only phone them if you missed your offer. If you got the grades you need and phone them they'll be pissed off at you.
    I wont need to phone them then... good, thats one less thing i'll have to remember.

ReputationRep:
    As horrible as missing your dream university offer to somebody less able than yourself?
    But that's only speculation. If everyone had to wait for A-level results to come out then every single person who missed their offer WOULD have to wait, no question about it! I also have no doubt atall that if it was the other way around nobody would wait for Scottish results either, and that probably no-one would even care enough to bring it up.

ReputationRep:
    Well the obviousl solution would be to have everyone get their results at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    But that's only speculation. If everyone had to wait for A-level results to come out then every single person who missed their offer WOULD have to wait, no question about it!
    That's worth it, to be able to say the system is fair. Surely?

I also have no doubt atall that if it was the other way around nobody would wait for Scottish results either, and that probably no-one would even care enough to bring it up.
    K :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Well the obviousl solution would be to have everyone get their results at the same time.
    True, but I'm not sure how well that would work with us sitting exams at different times and having a different summer holiday.

ReputationRep:
    True, but I'm not sure how well that would work with us sitting exams at different times and having a different summer holiday.
    A simple delay would do the trick.

ReputationRep:
    A simple delay would do the trick.
    Though personally I think this is unfeasible. Delaying the scottish results a week is one thing, you can't go making demands on the IB.

ReputationRep:
    Though personally I think this is unfeasible. Delaying the scottish results a week is one thing, you can't go making demands on the IB.
    True but it would still minimise the problem - less people getting their results earlier.

ReputationRep:
    And then of course you get the issues of overseas students and those who applied to overseas. The only truly "fair" way would be to make the whole world sit exams and get results at the same time, which is a bit unrealistic, but otherwise it would just be unfair to only pick on specific groups such as the Scottish while others aren't affected.

ReputationRep:
    And then of course you get the issues of overseas students and those who applied to overseas. The only truly "fair" way would be to make the whole world sit exams and get results at the same time, which is a bit unrealistic, but otherwise it would just be unfair to only pick on specific groups such as the Scottish while others aren't affected.
    Agreed But I do believe to be truly fair, no negotiations should start until all results are in. If that means people waiting with their results, then so be it. How would you feel if you missed your Oxford offer, and found out some charming IB student had wormed his way in, and you weren't even considered.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed But I do believe to be truly fair, no negotiations should start until all results are in. If that means people waiting with their results, then so be it. How would you feel if you missed your Oxford offer, and found out some charming IB student had wormed his way in, and you weren't even considered.
    Rather annoyed I would think!

ReputationRep:

Couldn't it be argued that that may happen anyway? As IB students are more likely to be paying international fees....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

Couldn't it be argued that that may happen anyway? As IB students are more likely to be paying international fees....
    Yes but no reason to double the bias.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    I sent them my IB report card one month ago ( I am an international student, I had a conditonal offer) and about 3 days ago they sent me a letter saying I have been accepted into the halls I chose to be in (KCL)..\

do you think this means I have a place at the college for sure????
    Have you checked your UCAS tracker? A few days after I gave the university proof that I had met the conditions of my offer, "Accepted" came up in red against my first choice. A few days later I also received the AS12 from UCAS confirming my place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackrainbow)
    Have you checked your UCAS tracker? A few days after I gave the university proof that I had met the conditions of my offer, "Accepted" came up in red against my first choice. A few days later I also received the AS12 from UCAS confirming my place.
    Oh God I can't wait untill I see a nice red ACCEPTED appear by my first choice uni - it had better happen now.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.