Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Computer Science Yes or No? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to take computer science GCSE (OCR, new specification) but am unsure whether I should. Will it be too hard? Is the programming coursework unbearable? I've only done some basic HTML coding before and was OK at it, not amazing but not too bad either. I'm in year 9 so I assume there's time for me to learn but I just don't know if I will regret taking comp science as I don't know much (or anything about it really) now. Has anyone got recommendations/tips? How did you find computer science GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm doing OCR CS right at this current minute. It's not that hard, the coding you will learn from basically fresh (if you're finding it difficult, Codecademy will help). You don't need massive experience in coding (most of the course so far isn't coding). Some people did drop CS because it's not a subject for everyone, it's not very exciting. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask me

ReputationRep:
    Finding computer science pretty easy.
    You're most likely going to use a high level programming langauge (HTML, Python, etc), so researching the syntax and how to code will be easy.
    Also, pay attention to everything your teacher says, if you don't focus for a while, you'll lose track of a lot of things.

ReputationRep:
    computer science is hard

but its very helpful

and fun lol

i took it and the only thing i ever found tricky in that subject was the coding just be cautious of computer science alevel doe lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    Hi! I'm doing OCR CS right at this current minute. It's not that hard, the coding you will learn from basically fresh (if you're finding it difficult, Codecademy will help). You don't need massive experience in coding (most of the course so far isn't coding). Some people did drop CS because it's not a subject for everyone, it's not very exciting. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask me
    Thanks would you say it's one of the easiest subjects you take? Like are you expecting a good result? As I said I'm not like a super computer-y person I just am quite good at science generally. Would I find it ok do you think? Not really sure what to expect, especially in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucreziag)
    Thanks would you say it's one of the easiest subjects you take? Like are you expecting a good result? As I said I'm not like a super computer-y person I just am quite good at science generally. Would I find it ok do you think? Not really sure what to expect, especially in the exams.
    I'm predicted a 9 in CS, but it is considered a difficult subject (I disagree. If you take in bits of info well enough and can organise notes well, you won't have any problems). It's very content based, so there's less working out and more knowing actual information, so if you're good with that, I think you will do very well in CS. You don't need to be great with computers, it's just kind of information about how they work. I felt that a lot of people dropped the course because they didn't know what it would entail. If you'd like, I could give you some insight on what you need to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    I'm predicted a 9 in CS, but it is considered a difficult subject (I disagree. If you take in bits of info well enough and can organise notes well, you won't have any problems). It's very content based, so there's less working out and more knowing actual information, so if you're good with that, I think you will do very well in CS. You don't need to be great with computers, it's just kind of information about how they work. I felt that a lot of people dropped the course because they didn't know what it would entail. If you'd like, I could give you some insight on what you need to know?
    That would be so helpful thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well i have never done GCSE CS (so do not take my answer seriously) since they didn't exist at my time ,as i did GCSE ICT + Double ICT , which i believe is completely different . If you have GCSE ICT available as a subject then i would suggest taking that instead of CS. My A-level teacher started teaching the GCSE CS last year and he said it's pretty challenging since it's a new GCSE. Of course .At university CS start from the very basic so everyone would find it very easy as they will have lot of time to focus on just the CS but for GCSE , i did say it's very hard considering that you have other GCSEs to do beside the GCSE CS.

ReputationRep:
    That would be so helpful thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So it's split into 2 units: Unit 1 is more hardware based and unit 2 is more software based. So for our first unit within unit 1, there was a lot about the CPU, but the first unit for unit 2 was to do with algorithms. You don't need to know anything about these beforehand, because it's all very freshly taught, and the course is all new. It's very much a matter of fixed information, kind of like biology, in a way,
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to take computer science GCSE (OCR, new specification) but am unsure whether I should. Will it be too hard? Is the programming coursework unbearable? I've only done some basic HTML coding before and was OK at it, not amazing but not too bad either. I'm in year 9 so I assume there's time for me to learn but I just don't know if I will regret taking comp science as I don't know much (or anything about it really) now. Has anyone got recommendations/tips? How did you find computer science GCSE?
    I don't do it but I have friends who do. It's a lot of work and you have to be prepared to spend time fixing small mistakes that might lead a programme to fail. It's really not that difficult but it involves a few things which require you to be logical. Just make sure you pay attention in class and it should be fine. Alternatively, you could do business studies or product design.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moltenmo)
    I don't do it but I have friends who do. It's a lot of work and you have to be prepared to spend time fixing small mistakes that might lead a programme to fail. It's really not that difficult but it involves a few things which require you to be logical. Just make sure you pay attention in class and it should be fine. Alternatively, you could do business studies or product design.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are your friends who take it very good at computers and programming in general, like do they want to go into it when they're older or are they doing it just for fun at GCSE level like me? I just don't want to take something I then have trouble understanding and doing because I don't love or especially know a lot about computers and algorithms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    So it's split into 2 units: Unit 1 is more hardware based and unit 2 is more software based. So for our first unit within unit 1, there was a lot about the CPU, but the first unit for unit 2 was to do with algorithms. You don't need to know anything about these beforehand, because it's all very freshly taught, and the course is all new. It's very much a matter of fixed information, kind of like biology, in a way,
    Thanks thats really helpful. What do you mean by software and hardware? Do we learn how to build a computer (not sure I would like that :/) ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks thats really helpful. What do you mean by software and hardware? Do we learn how to build a computer (not sure I would like that :/) ?
    I think in one of the first units you need to know the components in a PC (really simple stuff, much simpler than it sounds, and if you really are lost you could just ask me haha). By hardware I mean the more physical and tangible aspects of computers, by software I meant kind of like, programming and algorithms and such.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Are your friends who take it very good at computers and programming in general, like do they want to go into it when they're older or are they doing it just for fun at GCSE level like me? I just don't want to take something I then have trouble understanding and doing because I don't love or especially know a lot about computers and algorithms.
    Only one of my friends REALLY likes computer science - so much so that he wants to do it at A-Level. One of my friends I was talking to today said he regretted doing it but that's not to say you shouldn't do it. The best advice I can give you is if you are willing to learn difficult concepts then this is the subject for you. It is an intellectual subject. Choose carefully...Be prepared to devote a lot of time to coursework.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.