Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    We're slowly adding info boxes to every page. It takes a lot of work to go through every persons MHoC history, especially when it's just a small handful of us (like 3 or 4 of us).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They should be there when the page is made, not added months later, it is awfully managed with people going and making effectively empty pages instead of spending even 5 minutes putting even just the basics and a couple of lines in.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    As Jammy said all candidates should be able to read the thread without the need for tagging.
    To all candidates running, can you honestly answer why you actually want the speakership? Not reasons that apply to the house in general, but why you specifically want to do it?
    And to Petros, may I ask which people you have in mind for the running of liberal leader if you are in fact elected?Good luck to all candidates.
    I've been here just short of 3 years, and in that time 5 speakers I believe; and I want to continue the tradition of this MHOC like they have done, keep it an active place; but most importantly ensure the fun element is kept, banter, craic whatever you want to call it. At the end of the day, the MHOC is a fun game; and that tradition should continue, and I feel its something I can ensure continues if elected speaker.

Plus, I like a challenge. No one ever said being speaker would be easy, but I want a challenge, and that will give me something; plus everyones time in the MHOC ends at some point, who knows after this what will happen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Because I believe I am the best person for the job. As simple as that.

I think there are several people that could potentially win a leadership contest if I won the speakership, but I'm not going to say just in case I lose this election

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Scared of a leadership challenge?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Why would I help on something useless?

It is a vanity project, that's clear to tell from the pages which do have stuff on, mostly it's a few core members saying "look at everything I've done, I'm so great and important" while leaving other pages as about 6 words without even putting the effort in to have the basic infobox.
    It's not useless at all. It is not a vanity project, it will be when it's finished a very good source of MHoC-related information. With regards to member pages, we can't magically finish them all in one evening and as Petros' says, the process takes time. Also, the wikia is by no stretch just composed of member pages.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    They should be there when the page is made, not added months later, it is awfully managed with people going and making effectively empty pages instead of spending even 5 minutes putting even just the basics and a couple of lines in.
    Well, if you would like it expand these pages, your help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    - I would make love to sheep
    :unimpressed:

:sheep::sheep::sheep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    :unimpressed:

:sheep::sheep::sheep:
    Are you returning to front bench politics in the mhoc after you have been replaced as speaker. I am fairly new here but I think you were kind and very helpful! Thank you for your service!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    This is a reasonably interesting race. So far, it seems that this will be between three people.

A question for everyone:

As part of your powers as Speaker you will have access to every party subforum. Which one will you read through first to see what people have said about you in ostensible privacy? :holmes:

Be honest.
    There is a search function on this site, it's much easier to use that.

The most interesting beef is from former coalition partners it has to be said.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Are you returning to front bench politics in the mhoc after you have been replaced as speaker. I am fairly new here but I think you were kind and very helpful! Thank you for your service!
    Frontbench will depend on who will have me and what role, if any, they give me. I'm not leaving the MHoC though, I am looking forward to going back to being a partisan member.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    There is a search function on this site, it's much easier to use that.

The most interesting beef is from former coalition partners it has to be said.
    I know. I did.

That makes sense. I do remember being surprised at some of the disparities between overtly stated opinions and what was said behind the veil.

Which party were you a member of? Planning to go back to them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Scared of a leadership challenge?
    I don't think Petros would get a leadership challenge in the near future, he's a very effective leader and manages to mediate between the left and right of the party very well, neither 'faction' particularly dislikes him, and in fact I'd say all liberal members I've spoken to like him as leader.

The disgruntled people (READ: person) that didn't like him defected to another party a few months ago now.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I know. I did.

That makes sense. I do remember being surprised at some of the disparities between overtly stated opinions and what was said behind the veil.

Which party were you a member of? Planning to go back to them?
    I was Labour, I won't be discussing my plans post-speakership until the new person has fully taken over the role though.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I was Labour, I won't be discussing my plans post-speakership until the new person has fully taken over the role though.
    I see. You should take control of UKIP is Nigel wins. It is good fun.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I see. You should take control of UKIP is Nigel wins. It is good fun.
    I have a feeling the existing UKIP leader might take issue with that...

ReputationRep:
    Join the liberals, you wouldn't be the first "Welsh Wizard" to serve as a liberal PM
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise there was another UKIP member, let alone leader. Who is it?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise there was another UKIP member, let alone leader. Who is it?
    Unown Uzer

(Original post by Connor27)
    Join the liberals, you wouldn't be the first "Welsh Wizard" to serve as a liberal PM
    Still the only ever Welsh PM this country has had.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Unown Uzer
    Oh, the irony.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Unown Uzer

Still the only ever Welsh PM this country has had.
    I see.

There have been a few Welsh deputies and party leaders.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    As a question to the other candidates, when the election comes with the two candidates in, assuming you are not included in that election, which candidate would you vote for?
    Probably Petros

(Original post by Lime-man)
    I don't want a speaker who engages in vanity projects while neglecting their job description. I want a speaker who will just do their job. Which of you can best do that and why?

(Nige, I don't want to hear about how you don't have a life, because that just makes me think that you want the job simply to have your "fix". I want something proper.)

Bear in mind though, that I don't have a vote, but potential voters will be reading your answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am ready to discharge the office of speaker with precision. I will facilitate debate and ensure the House runs well - this is of utmost importance.

(Original post by toronto353)
    I apologise to Saracen's Fez in advance for any negative answers (), but what three aspects of their predecessor's Speakership would each of the candidates retain and what three things would they do differently and why?
    The update style - but get the timing more standard

Only going in subs when tagged - ensure hansard and voting reviews are updated in as reasonable real time as possible

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.