Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Would people be interested in an MHOC trip to the houses of parliament or something similar come the summer?
    I will come to get drunk in Hyde Park :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Would people be interested in an MHOC trip to the houses of parliament or something similar come the summer?
    Yeah I'm sure QuackQuack (Quamquam123) would love to paddle in the Thames and eat bread.

Also want to see RayBae's kinky Labour whip and want to feel where Petros' spine should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I would now like to declare that if I am elected after my term as speaker I will leave the house forever.
    Tempting, could vote Aph in then MoNC him after 1 week and he'd be gone perma...

Nah, you're good for comedy value, like Unown Uzer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    That's 1 (and I'm not sure he counts as he never expresses any political views ), who else?
    Our current chairman, Conceited, is what I'd define as a social democrat.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Yeah I'm sure QuackQuack (Quamquam123) would love to paddle in the Thames and eat bread.

Also want to see RayBae's kinky Labour whip and want to feel where Petros' spine should be.
    :rofl:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If it fit around work, then sure.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Our current chairman, Conceited, is what I'd define as a social democrat.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say a 'social democrat', but fair enough. My views are more aligned with the left - that goes without saying.

ReputationRep:
    1. How long does each of you expect to remain in office and after how long or under what circumstances do you believe it's appropriate to resign?

2. What do you think about the length of the Deputy Speaker's time in office which has reached more than four years, I believe. Do you think it would be appropriate to finally offer the position to someone else, perhaps one of you, given the unusually high number of candidates for the Speakership?

(If you don't answer, you will definitely not get my vote.)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    1. How long does each of you expect to remain in office and after how long or under what circumstances do you believe it's appropriate to resign?

2. What do you think about the length of the Deputy Speaker's time in office which has reached more than four years, I believe. Do you think it would be appropriate to finally offer the position to someone else, perhaps one of you, given the unusually high number of candidates for the Speakership?

I would plan to remain in office for the long term which would be a couple of years, or to the point where there are lots of calls for a change. I do not see being Speaker as something that is done on a whim to fulfil an ego, it is something that is done out of enjoyment to help improve the quality of the game.

I would not want to be Deputy Speaker, nor do I think the other candidates would want to, I think if one of the other candidates was Deputy Speaker there would be some arguments in the Speakership team with the Deputy Speaker wanting to get his own way. I would support a change of deputies if there was a vote as part of a wider move to modernise the MHoC, however, this is not something I feel strongly about, nor is it something I would actively pursue.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

A minimum of 6 months and I'll resign when I can't fulfill my duties without impacting on my actual life.

Personally I find it a bit weird. Its because the deputy speaker is never in the limelight and he has been fairly meh about everything that Toronto is still here. Personally I don't begrudge him the position but I do think that retirement should be on the cards.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Aph firing shots with his water pistol, which came free with his Tweenies magazine. :mmm:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Sign me up
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    How many tikes has this been suggested and fallen through before the first hurdle in the last couple of years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Does that include if MoNC'd right after taking office, or as soon as Toronto comes up for air?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Toronto won't get air:smug: but yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Hard to say really. Probably between 6 months and a year, but "when the time feels right" is how I'd put it. I'd resign if TSR impacted real life and that's pretty much it.

The Deputy Speakership doesn't really play a large role here, it's just cover for the Speaker, so I'm happy to have the experience of Toronto there. When he feels the time is right to step down, I won't stop him, but I'd be happy to have him for as long as he wants to be Deputy Speaker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

I don't want to put a specific time on it, as obviously it depends on events both on TSR and real life; but I'm certainly talking about 2018 or so.
    If there was a catastrophic failure; or something which called your neutrality into question which has had an impact on the working of this house, such as leaking information, then a resignation is on the cards, and if you lack the support of the house in general, or they have lost confidence in you as a speaker, then it is time to go.

I feel that Toronto has a wealth of experience over this 4 years, and although the deputy speaker role may have little influence in the house apart from during speaker absence, I do feel the time is near for the reigns to be handed on, but at the end of the day; if the house feels like there is no such reason to call a MONC, then it is upto Toronto to decide when his time is up!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What do the candidates think of the current range of parties, in particular whether they believe it could be beneficial to have more parties in certain areas, presupposing activity, and would they do anything to help new formation via relaxation of the 10 member guidance if they feel activity would not be an immediate issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What do the candidates think of the current range of parties, in particular whether they believe it could be beneficial to have more parties in certain areas, presupposing activity, and would they do anything to help new formation via relaxation of the 10 member guidance if they feel activity would not be an immediate issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I personally feel like there is room for a left authoritarian party and a right liberal party as well as a Center/center-authoritarian and would relax the ten member rule for clearly active members of the house who I belived would make a success of it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I personally feel like there is room for a left authoritarian party and a right liberal party as well as a Center/center-authoritarian and would relax the ten member rule for clearly active members of the house who I belived would make a success of it.
    The Socs could be the left authoritarian party if we tried a bit harder.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My dropped-hint detector is going off.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.