Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Election of a Speaker: Q&A Session Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Cbay:

I would vote for you if you had used a "Cbae" type joke. Missed opportunity there.
    I considered it but I decided that this election is far too important to be joking around
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If one of 4 that I'm thinking about became Speaker, God save us.

If one of 2 that I'm thinking about became Speaker, meh.

The other one became Speaker, then good.

ReputationRep:
    Hazzer can't spell.

Adam, I needed glasses to read.

Petros' manifesto reminded me of sick and bogies.

Aph, I saw no formatting and the word "doth", didn't even bother reading.

Dan, boring.

Nigel, nice manifesto, swayed by you tbh.

Until I saw cBae, I like your vision.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My initial thoughts.

Hazzer:

People will attack you for your questionable English, but I think that misses the point. You offer nothing groundbreaking, but seem like you would keep things ticking over in reasonable fashion. However, 1998 was a bad year for me so it's a hard pass I'm afraid.

Adam:

Hit the nail squarely on the head with your focus on debate. That really should be the key focus of this place. I have no concerns. The only issue is the colour of the manifesto; unattractive.

Petros:

You are transparent, which make me question your medical status. Aside from that you claim to be "active with means", which I take to mean you have lots of money to spend on memes. I approve.

Aph:

Sounds like you want to kill the Greens. They are my baby so I can't allow it. Sorry. Also, no Gilmore Girls quotes.

Dan:

No idea who you are. No opinion.

Nigel:

Don't really know much about you either. However, you seem to make reasoned, thoughtful points in debates - even if I don't agree with them. This strikes me as a good quality.

Cbay:

I would vote for you if you had used a "Cbae" type joke. Missed opportunity there.
    I will probably kill the greens, UKIP and the CC and try and refocus the house on debate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Also, I am glad you are planning to make Ad Hoc a more integral part of the MHoC. How is the best way to do this though?

I am fairly new , what is the ad hoc??
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    I considered it but I decided that this election is far too important to be joking around
    I understand. Having always been very serious myself, I appreciate you upholding our standards.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I will probably kill the greens, UKIP and the CC and try and refocus the house on debate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope.

I regret not bothering to keep the Libers going, I wouldn't let you murder the Greens :hand:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

I regret not bothering to keep the Libers going, I wouldn't let you murder the Greens :hand:
    But they contribute nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Nigel Farage MEP Do you have any actual proposals?
    Says the man who's only proposals aren't related to the job he's applying for.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    I am fairly new , what is the ad hoc??
    It's the MHoC's official publication and there's more information about it here. There's an issue several months overdue but hopefully Life_peer will release it very soon.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    But they contribute nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How so?

Also, there have been times in the past where various parties have contributed nothing. If they were ended for being useless, the LibDems would have been put out of their misery on several occasions. Just an example.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Right. I have 10 questions here for the candidates.

1) Can we trust you to be partisan at all times?
    2) What are your views on dual memberships?
    3) Do you believe that any measures should be put in place to prevent ‘voting robots’ from being amongst the ranks of MPs?
    4) Would you change the content or style of party updates?
    5) What time of day would you send party updates?
    6) If an MP had a particularly low turnout, would you discuss the issue with their respective party leader?
    7) Would you prevent joke bills from going to Division?
    8) Would you release newsflashes every time a significant event in the House takes place? If so, would you do this through the Ad Hoc thread, the Twitter feed, the MHoC Wikia or in a different way?
    9) One area that I feel strongly about it is getting more TSR members involved in the MHoC. How do you think is the best way to attract people to this place and would you consider working with party leadership teams to develop strategies for recruiting new members?
    10) I strongly believe that the role of Speaker should be much more than simply carrying out the essential tasks. I personally would like to see the Speaker really push for Ad Hoc to become an integral part of the House and also introduce Leadership debates at General Elections and Member of the Month contests. Would you be prepared to go above and beyond of what is expected of you?

And some individual questions:

hazzer1998- your manifesto formatting is a bit of a mess but that's really not a concern for me. Why in your opinion would a 2nd Deputy Speaker be necessary? Surely The Financier, as Sarjeant at Arms, would step in if either you or toronto were unavailable to carry out House business?

adam9317 - your manifesto is clearly set out which is good and I think you’d be a very level-headed and fair Speaker. However, one concern that I would have is that you’re not active enough. Do you believe you are sufficiently active enough to take on the role of Speaker?

PetrosAC - I really am impressed by your policies and your suitability in general for a Speaker and I like the simplistic design of your manifesto. I would ask you however why you would decide to potentially abandon your position as the leader of the third biggest party to become Speaker? Also, I am glad you are planning to make Ad Hoc a more integral part of the MHoC. How is the best way to do this though?

Aph - a quite plain manifesto but like for Hazzer's one, I really don't think that matters. I do find your promise to issue a 'death blow' rather frightening but hey ho. Anyway, it is well-known that in the past, you have been involved in a few controversies, one of which was when you illegally attempted to become Prime Minister. How would people trust you to be a reliable Speaker? Also, you have stood for the position of Speaker several times before now. What do you think went wrong in your previous campaigns and why do you think you would have a better chance of being successful this time round?

DanE1998 - your manifesto is, in my opinion, the best one. However, like Adam, I am a little concerned that you might not be active enough to take on such a large job as the Speaker role. How would you respond to this?

Nigel Farage MEP - I’ll try to remain open-minded but you're going to have a tough job winning me over. Recently you attempted to, in your own words, ‘destroy the Crisis Committee from the inside’. You also leaked content of a planned crisis without a single care and tried to manipulate the MHoC rules by proposing an amendment that would close down the CC without amending the Constitution. Why should people vote for someone who apparently such little respect for the rules and willing it to bend them wherever possible to get their own way?

cBay - um. Welcome back I suppose. Care to explain why your tagline is 'vote cBay for revolutions and orgies'?
    I believe I've already answered the individual question in my reply to fleky's question.

1. I think you mean non-partisan The simple answer is yes, of course. If not, I wouldn't expect to be in a job for particularly long

2. I'm fine with the status quo. As a Leader, I'm not particularly fond of them (rejecting several and only allowing Little Toy Gun in as a dual because I know he's largely in line with the rest of the party) but it's ultimately down to each party leader.

3. I do think we need to take a look at whether voting reviews are necessary firstly. In the real life house of commons, you only ever get large turnouts on important votes (which is where whipping would come into play I suppose). We could also look at reducing the number of seats in the House of Commons so individuals in parties have to earn a seat rather than just automatically getting one.

4. I wouldn't change the style but I'd like to look at re-introducing the legislation queue, so people know roughly what's coming up.

5. Around 8pm-9pm, but I'd be happy to have a discussion about it with the wider community should I be elected.

6. I would not. It is for Party Leaders to realise that their MP isn't voting and do something about it. However, I will be introducing a Rolling voting review which would make it a lot easier for Leadership's to keep track of their MPs. It'd be updated pretty much every night.

7. I would. I'd start to categorise joke bills separately from normal bills (i.e JB001 rather than B001) to make the distinction clear.

8. The Ad Hoc thread would be suitable for this.

9. I'm happy to talk with Party Leaders about this, but we also need to accept that this sort of thing just doesn't interest most people.

10. I of course would be happy to go beyond and above what is expected of a Speaker. I have already pledged to really push Ad Hoc. I'm happy to re-introduce Member of the Month votes though I think Leadership debates should only be held in consolation with the Party Leaders themselves.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    How so?

Also, there have been times in the past where various parties have contributed nothing. If they were ended for being useless, the LibDems would have been put out of their misery on several occasions. Just an example.
    They have been dead for over a year now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    They have been dead for over a year now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No they exist, they were simply renamed. You have managed to totally miss point, lol.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    hazzer1998 How will you 'ensure that the CC produces crises' when so often previous Speakers have failed? And what's wrong with toronto353? Why do we need a second Deputy Speaker?

adam9317 Do you not feel that launching debates on 'moral issues' has the potential to run dangerously close to breaching Speakerly impartiality?

PetrosAC When you say that you'd 'continue to support' off-site activities, do you mean that you would continue tolerating them, as appears to be current policy? Or do you mean that you would take steps toward making them a more formal part of the infrastructure of the House?

Aph I'm interested by your idea of overhauling the GD and precedent. Please elaborate.

DanE1998 Are you prepared to make the large step up from your current level of activity that Speakership would require?

Nigel Farage MEP Do you have any actual proposals?

cBay I think it's fairly obvious you're a joke candidate, but kudos for that manifesto
    I'd continue to tolerate them. I'd make it easier to join things like the Skype Chat if people wanted to join it, but I'd in no way actually encourage it as part of the game itself. These things should remain completely non-essential and optional.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Ummm, I guess you're hoping the lefties answer yes and win?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'd continue to tolerate them. I'd make it easier to join things like the Skype Chat if people wanted to join it, but I'd in no way actually encourage it as part of the game itself. These things should remain completely non-essential and optional.
    Fair enough:yy:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Another one for those of you who can be bothered to read the thread and not rely on tags (something you should be able to do if you want to be speaker): describe each candidate, other than yourself, with one word.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

2) What are your views on dual memberships?
    3) Do you believe that any measures should be put in place to prevent ‘voting robots’ from being amongst the ranks of MPs?
    4) Would you change the content or style of party updates?
    5) What time of day would you send party updates?
    6) If an MP had a particularly low turnout, would you discuss the issue with their respective party leader?
    7) Would you prevent joke bills from going to Division?
    8) Would you release newsflashes every time a significant event in the House takes place? If so, would you do this through the Ad Hoc thread, the Twitter feed, the MHoC Wikia or in a different way?
    9) One area that I feel strongly about it is getting more TSR members involved in the MHoC. How do you think is the best way to attract people to this place and would you consider working with party leadership teams to develop strategies for recruiting new members?
    10) I strongly believe that the role of Speaker should be much more than simply carrying out the essential tasks. I personally would like to see the Speaker really push for Ad Hoc to become an integral part of the House and also introduce Leadership debates at General Elections and Member of the Month contests. Would you be prepared to go above and beyond of what is expected of you?

And some individual questions:

hazzer1998- your manifesto formatting is a bit of a mess but that's really not a concern for me. Why in your opinion would a 2nd Deputy Speaker be necessary? Surely The Financier, as Sarjeant at Arms, would step in if either you or toronto were unavailable to carry out House business?

adam9317 - your manifesto is clearly set out which is good and I think you’d be a very level-headed and fair Speaker. However, one concern that I would have is that you’re not active enough. Do you believe you are sufficiently active enough to take on the role of Speaker?

PetrosAC - I really am impressed by your policies and your suitability in general for a Speaker and I like the simplistic design of your manifesto. I would ask you however why you would decide to potentially abandon your position as the leader of the third biggest party to become Speaker? Also, I am glad you are planning to make Ad Hoc a more integral part of the MHoC. How is the best way to do this though?

Aph - a quite plain manifesto but like for Hazzer's one, I really don't think that matters. I do find your promise to issue a 'death blow' rather frightening but hey ho. Anyway, it is well-known that in the past, you have been involved in a few controversies, one of which was when you illegally attempted to become Prime Minister. How would people trust you to be a reliable Speaker? Also, you have stood for the position of Speaker several times before now. What do you think went wrong in your previous campaigns and why do you think you would have a better chance of being successful this time round?

DanE1998 - your manifesto is, in my opinion, the best one. However, like Adam, I am a little concerned that you might not be active enough to take on such a large job as the Speaker role. How would you respond to this?

Nigel Farage MEP - I’ll try to remain open-minded but you're going to have a tough job winning me over. Recently you attempted to, in your own words, ‘destroy the Crisis Committee from the inside’. You also leaked content of a planned crisis without a single care and tried to manipulate the MHoC rules by proposing an amendment that would close down the CC without amending the Constitution. Why should people vote for someone who apparently such little respect for the rules and willing it to bend them wherever possible to get their own way?

cBay - um. Welcome back I suppose. Care to explain why your tagline is 'vote cBay for revolutions and orgies'?
    1) Yes , The Speaker must be partisan and I intend to keep this promise
    2) If the two parties agree to dual memberships then I see no reason why it should not be allowed
    3) I'm not of a strong opinion on this .. I believe it's up to the party to decide
    4) The updates would stay the same
    5) Morning or afternoon. . I would consult the house
    6) The party leader is responsible for MPS and if voting turnout was low then a byelection will be triggered
    7)The Speaker should not reject any bills based on the content
    8)I have mentioned this in my manifesto
    9) I think advertisement is the key here . We need to promote our selves in a positive light to gain new members
    10) of course ..the Speaker is a vital part of the MHoC

I think we need a second deputy leader to cover when or if the Speaker and deputy speaker is away which has happened before

Did anyone notice this?

there is no denying I do not have the activity levels
      :ninja:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.