Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Caught hazzer1998 out though, with his promise to be partisan, question is, in favour of whom? His old allies, the right, or his new ones, the spineless?
    Indeed
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    And you're still not selling yourself to me, I'm not interested in somebody that will spout the standard script there's 6 other people standing, 4 of them are doing exactly the same thing. When looking for a proper job did you/are you/will you be using a cover letter than is just spouting generic crap or will you be trying to distinguish yourself?
    I'm ready to listen. I think that the Speakership should be a dynamic role which serves the House of the day. It shouldn't be, as you rightly assert the same old - same old. It needs to change in line with the needs of the House. If you think I'm not doing something right I expect you to be able to come to me and tell me - and I can act on your feedback to be a better speaker.

If I am needed by the parties I will be there. I will be there for you Jammy, and any other member. Why? Because I care. I care about the success of this place. I want us to be able to have the highest quality of debate - not just in this Parliament but in the wider forum in general.

I want to get people interested. By talking to people about the MHoC and the wider Parliamentary process. Because it doesn;t just matter in this House - it has a much wider purpose.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Another one for those of you who can be bothered to read the thread and not rely on tags (something you should be able to do if you want to be speaker): describe each candidate, other than yourself, with one word.
    Adam is capable, Aph is amusing, Hazzer is enthusiastic, DanE1998 is inexperienced, PetrosAC is enthusiastic, and CBay is inactive.

(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Nigel, nice manifesto, swayed by you tbh.
    Thank you, I am surprised, however, I do think we get along well in the Skype chat.

(Original post by Aph)
    I will probably kill the greens, UKIP and the CC and try and refocus the house on debate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is you admitting you are not neutral.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    adam9317 Do you not feel that launching debates on 'moral issues' has the potential to run dangerously close to breaching Speakerly impartiality?
    It would have to come from a neutral viewpoint such as 'Corporal punishment- Some may see this as necessary to get the worst criminals off our streets, but was if the justice system has failed and they are innocent... Disucss'

its basically saying- Corporal punishment, whats your views; but with a bit of a prompt!

Another one for those of you who can be bothered to read the thread and not rely on tags (something you should be able to do if you want to be speaker): describe each candidate, other than yourself, with one word.
    Hazzer - Crazy

Petros - Decent guy

Aph - Unique

Dan - Quiet

cBay - Bloody Communist

Nigel - Determined

Ok, I broke the 1 word rule

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    OK guys, here come my initial questions...

Being Speaker comes with an effective ban on commenting in a partisan way in here on any political developments, RL or MHoC, for the duration of your tenure. I have missed Brexit, Theresa May taking over, the election of Donald Trump and everything else that has happened in politics since the end of May 2016. How will you cope with this?

Also, the Speaker is required to not have an overly big personality whilst doing the job. The role is about making the MHoC run smoothly and fairly, so it's not all about you. How would you convince me that you are "vanilla" enough to be trusted as Speaker?
    It will be hard. Being so opinionated I have no doubt about this, but ultimately that will be the role of the job, and some things have to go. The end to discussing my beloved Northern Irish politics in public will be the hardest!

Unlike some of the other candidates we have here tonight, I've never strived to be the centre of attention, I've never caused a scandal because I've acted like a ****. You can rely on me getting on with the job.

There was a documentary on the BBC probably over a year back about Parliament, and I heard a quote; I have a feeling it was from Jacob Rees Mogg. 'The MPS don't work for the speaker, the speaker works for the MPS.' I feel this is very relevant, and something that can be applied here!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    6) If an MP had a particularly low turnout, would you discuss the issue with their respective party leader?

No, the rules are clear, it is up to the parties to follow the rules or risk losing a seat in a by-election.
    I never thought I'd say this Nigel, but you should read the Guidance Document more carefully. It clearly states that 'failure to attend 2 consecutive votes or low voting turn out and the Speaker will contact the Party Leader and discuss your position as an MP.' In fact, the only candidate who seems to claim he will obey this piece of guidance so far is DanE1998.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly confident I know who falls into which category.
    Some may surprise you. Though the incompetent Ines you'll probably have bang on!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    hazzer1998 - Not sure

Aph - Instability

Nigel Farage MEP - Strict

PetrosAC - Supportive

cBay - Not seen much?

(Original post by Life_peer)
    How do you know I didn't mean your policies, mister smarty-pants?

Petros, take this in the best way possible, I know you made a lot of progress during our coalition, but if I were to judge your aptitude for Speakership by your rather uneventful Liberal leadership, let's say I would bet on a different horse. You are very excitable and quick to start new endeavours but I think you're also too quick to presumably lose interest and fall into uniformity, mediocrity, and lack the dedication to finish things you've started. We need someone who is ready to complete his projects and do this mostly monotonous but constant and important work for several months before retiring.

I'm actually considering Nigel because his dedication to this place and indeed lack of life out there is difficult to beat, however at the same time I don't want to contribute to his addiction and I'm not sure if I want to be partly responsible for fuelling his obsession…

DanE1998's manifesto seems decent enough but the trouble is I can't associate him with any personality traits whatsoever. Perhaps that's a good thing considering the need for an unbiased and neutral figure.

Aph, cBay and hazzer are obviously not viable options, and I'm a bit disappointed that our rather freshly elected deputy leader has chosen to attempt for yet another promotion so soon, but I'm not ruling that option out yet. I just tend to put loyalty to the party above personal goals.
    I think it is a good thing too - because as you say I will be completely neutral and not partisan in any of my actions!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    I'm ready to listen. I think that the Speakership should be a dynamic role which serves the House of the day. It shouldn't be, as you rightly assert the same old - same old. It needs to change in line with the needs of the House. If you think I'm not doing something right I expect you to be able to come to me and tell me - and I can act on your feedback to be a better speaker.

If I am needed by the parties I will be there. I will be there for you Jammy, and any other member. Why? Because I care. I care about the success of this place. I want us to be able to have the highest quality of debate - not just in this Parliament but in the wider forum in general.

I want to get people interested. By talking to people about the MHoC and the wider Parliamentary process. Because it doesn;t just matter in this House - it has a much wider purpose.
    Better, but there is still a lot of the generic stuff that we should be able to take for granted (I also assume you have or will have 5 A*-C grades at GCSE including maths and English).

But let's get down to the last bit, getting people interested, another fairly generic comment it seems for high office, the question is: how, and why will it work?

The other thing, which I believe you have already been asked, is how you reconcile your low public activity with the high activity role of speaker. Your first post was 25/04/15, you've had 213 posts total, which is only about 10 posts and month and you've just come back from a 4 month hiatus.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Having read the thread so far, would say that Nigel is (currently) winning my vote.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    OK guys, here come my initial questions...

Being Speaker comes with an effective ban on commenting in a partisan way in here on any political developments, RL or MHoC, for the duration of your tenure. I have missed Brexit, Theresa May taking over, the election of Donald Trump and everything else that has happened in politics since the end of May 2016. How will you cope with this?

Also, the Speaker is required to not have an overly big personality whilst doing the job. The role is about making the MHoC run smoothly and fairly, so it's not all about you. How would you convince me that you are "vanilla" enough to be trusted as Speaker?
    I think I am happy to step aside politically in this time. I feel that I would have an important part to play in facilitating legislative debate as well as ensuring that everyone has a good time doing it.

There has to be some order and control which I think I can provide.

I think that I am relaxed and prepared to listen to all sides - I believe that because I am not a controversial figure in the MHoC I am in the best position to be able to discharge the office of speaker
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

I am not vanilla, nor do I aim to be vanilla, I aim to be a big personality who can get a job done to a high standard. I will still be debating political issues in the MHoC bar, I will still take part in debates on Skype but I will not write legislation, nor will I debate legislation, and my dealings with parties will be fair.

A little less dissatisifed.

Will you be partisan in doing so or will you be fair to the silly people on the left too?
    I would not aim to be partisan but bad ideas need to be stopped to improve the MHoC, for example, if I have a member wanting to send an obvious joke bill to the Divison Lobby I would reject it, and if there was a member wanting complaining because they could not get something done on time I would tell them tough.

(Original post by Quamquam123)
    I never thought I'd say this Nigel, but you should read the Guidance Document more carefully. It clearly states that 'failure to attend 2 consecutive votes or low voting turn out and the Speaker will contact the Party Leader and discuss your position as an MP.' In fact, the only candidate who seems to claim he will obey this piece of guidance so far is DanE1998.
    As the voting review is not always updated on a rolling basis it can be difficult to know if an MP has missed votes, and the Guidance Document provides guidance. As we see with Fez ignoring the Guidance Document's rules on holding Prime Minister's Questions, Speaker do change things.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Better, but there is still a lot of the generic stuff that we should be able to take for granted (I also assume you have or will have 5 A*-C grades at GCSE including maths and English).

But let's get down to the last bit, getting people interested, another fairly generic comment it seems for high office, the question is: how, and why will it work?

The other thing, which I believe you have already been asked, is how you reconcile your low public activity with the high activity role of speaker. Your first post was 25/04/15, you've had 213 posts total, which is only about 10 posts and month and you've just come back from a 4 month hiatus.
    When I first joined the MHoC I felt pretty intimidated and scared to just give it a go. I think that maybe we could bring in more people by making the essentials more central along with general help.

I think the ad-hoc if used correctly has the power to allow people rto stay up to date with events. For newer members it can be harder to keep pace with the goings on.

With that in mind, I think we can then concentrate on getting people part of their party of choice to enable them to begin to grow. Perhaps by holding smaller scale debates about party issues. In their own time they can then begin to debate legislation!

You're right, I've had a lot of time off. But I now have a lot of time and I want to use it to the biggest effect I can! I find myself to be more comfortable and efficient in a neutral environment. While of course I love politics and the debate it brings I feel that the Speaker has the unique ability to enjoy the debate above the politics and act as a mechanism to facilitate debate, engage members and support them

I love to mentor, both in real life and online. I feel that this supports my ability to become a well established and supportive speaker - giving me the chance to as you put it reconcile my activity while carrying out the procedural duties of the speakership.

I;m going to get an early night - as I have my driving test tomorrow. I will reply to further comments after my test from around 2PM If TSR Mobile allows - else when I get home from IVform

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Some may surprise you. Though the incompetent Ines you'll probably have bang on!
    Could you tell us who fits where?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Could you tell us who fits where?
    I am guessing out of the six, Adam, and Petros are the two candidates he is referring to in his last sentence.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    As ever in these elections, I shall stand back and watch for now and ask any questions if needed later on. Some very good manifestos though and I'm genuinely having a hard time deciding who to vote for. I have only two comments to add

cranbrook_aspie - thank you for the compliment

Jammy Duel - thank you for the, erm, compliment, I think
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I would not aim to be partisan but bad ideas need to be stopped to improve the MHoC, for example, if I have a member wanting to send an obvious joke bill to the Divison Lobby I would reject it, and if there was a member wanting complaining because they could not get something done on time I would tell them tough.
    Not sure what any of that has to do with your profile picture.

(Original post by DanE1998)
    When I first joined the MHoC I felt pretty intimidated and scared to just give it a go. I think that maybe we could bring in more people by making the essentials more central along with general help.

I think the ad-hoc if used correctly has the power to allow people rto stay up to date with events. For newer members it can be harder to keep pace with the goings on.

With that in mind, I think we can then concentrate on getting people part of their party of choice to enable them to begin to grow. Perhaps by holding smaller scale debates about party issues. In their own time they can then begin to debate legislation!

You're right, I've had a lot of time off. But I now have a lot of time and I want to use it to the biggest effect I can! I find myself to be more comfortable and efficient in a neutral environment. While of course I love politics and the debate it brings I feel that the Speaker has the unique ability to enjoy the debate above the politics and act as a mechanism to facilitate debate, engage members and support them

I love to mentor, both in real life and online. I feel that this supports my ability to become a well established and supportive speaker - giving me the chance to as you put it reconcile my activity while carrying out the procedural duties of the speakership.

I;m going to get an early night - as I have my driving test tomorrow. I will reply to further comments after my test from around 2PM If TSR Mobile allows - else when I get home from IVform
    The things you mention don't really increase interest, they're ways of trying to keep people when they arrive, which are two different things, and arguably the keeping people around is far more the role of the parties they join than the speaker.

As for the variable activity, your first post back was on 13/12/16 with 3 posts spread over that week, and even your spike of 11 posts over the last week two are in this thread, and 4 are basically non posts, and even before the hiatus your posting record was a few posts here and then a few posts there a week or three later, none of which is particularly encouraging, at least to me, at least the other members who are standing as serious candidates have shown a general capability to be around day in day out, or near enough day in day out.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what any of that has to do with your profile picture.
    I interpreted it as a wider question about the MHoC, however, for the silhouettes of politicians I shall choose politicians I like.

ReputationRep:
    I think that PetrosAC is the only real choice tbh, sensible, pragmatic and as neutral as you can get. Left an overwhelmingly positive impression on me as leader of the party and would do an equally excellent job as Speaker, good luck mate.

Nigel Farage MEP: you're great for banter and I find myself in agreement with you a lot, but I feel that you'd be biased against left wing members, that's not in the spirit of being Speaker.

Aph cBay: communist nutters, basically joke candidates.

adam9317: not really spoken to you at all but that's a decent Manifesto.

hazzer1998: you ain't leaving us yet, #HazzerTheModerate has so much more to give to the liberal party.

DanE1998: same as Adam really.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    I think that PetrosAC is the only real choice tbh, sensible, pragmatic and as neutral as you can get. Left an overwhelmingly positive impression on me as leader of the party and would do an equally excellent job as Speaker, good luck mate.

Nigel Farage MEP: you're great for banter and I find myself in agreement with you a lot, but I feel that you'd be biased against left wing members, that's not in the spirit of being Speaker.

Aph cBay: communist nutters, basically joke candidates.

adam9317: not really spoken to you at all but that's a decent Manifesto.

hazzer1998: you ain't leaving us yet, #HazzerTheModerate has so much more to give to the liberal party.

DanE1998: same as Adam really.

I would accept a challenge on my capability to be Speaker but I interpret calling me biased as an insult about my ability to be professional. Using your preferred candidate as an example, we have seen cowering to Labour, and the Conservatives when in a coalition; a refusal to step up to save his party when the ed-Leader, and ex-Deputy Leader were missing for extended periods of time; and a leader willing to throw his party under the bus to fulfil his desire to be Speaker.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    hazzer1998 I protest at the misuse of the word 'logical' and whilst I don't think there should ever be any emphasis on a well designed manifesto (the Speaker should not be whoever is most proficient at photoshop) but it is a real shame that you don't seem to have put any thought into writing properly. However of the ideas presented, yours are the ones I think are the best - making a new thread for announcements sounds worse than having the announcement system we currently have though.

adam9317 Compelling manifesto.

PetrosAC Because of what you said about the wikia, it will be very difficult to vote for you even though I want to. I'm looking for a continuity candidate - why must you always focus on vanity projects. Though voting for you is probably the only way another Liberal will get the chance to lead your party I can't say I'm optimistic for the party's future without you.

Aph Have successive defeats broken your spirit entirely?

DanE1998 Good manifesto, just about enough effort put in to offset concerns about activity - and as I trust Toronto very much, I'm not too concerned about that anyway.

Nigel Farage MEP Might actually end up voting for you for once seeing as I've recently agreed with you on most matters concerning the running of this House. It would mean the end of UKIP, which is always a plus.

cBay :rofl:

I know you all so I haven't bothered to ask non-rhetorical questions, bonus-points to whoever's bothered to take the initiative and answer the questions that I might want answered without knowing it. I hope to be convinced.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.