Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Speaking to a girl after a long time Watch

I wanna speak to a girl, as easy as that, but I always psych myself out and then never actually say anything. It's because I don't know what to say after about 18 months of not talking, we weren't really close in the first place. I liked her though, in lessons she stood out, not just attractive but intelligent and different in a good way.

It's just I don't even know if she'll want to speak, if she'll be interested, if she'll even recognise me (I believe she would though right?). I can make conversation easily it's just getting over that initial hurdle. Where she's stood in front of me walking down the street and I catch up and say something. Any advice is definitely welcome. Is it as easy as "hi"? We've seen each other before and not said anything (not in an awkward way though).

ReputationRep:
    It's one of those things where you will never know till you take the plunge.

But yeah it is as easy as saying "hi..." then maybe mentioning you used to be in the same class or something relevant. Then ask how she's doing and go from there. If you come across as curious and interested she'll probably reciprocate if she is as nice as you say.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I wanna speak to a girl, as easy as that, but I always psych myself out and then never actually say anything. It's because I don't know what to say after about 18 months of not talking, we weren't really close in the first place. I liked her though, in lessons she stood out, not just attractive but intelligent and different in a good way.

It's just I don't even know if she'll want to speak, if she'll be interested, if she'll even recognise me (I believe she would though right?). I can make conversation easily it's just getting over that initial hurdle. Where she's stood in front of me walking down the street and I catch up and say something. Any advice is definitely welcome. Is it as easy as "hi"? We've seen each other before and not said anything (not in an awkward way though).
    I am in the exact same situation as you with a boy and I can say you should 100% go talk to her. I wish the boy I have a raging crush on would just come up and chat to me tbh, we used to talk a lot and I was so sure he liked me but recently (for no apparent reason) we just became less close and I don't know how to break the ice again.

Maybe go up and just say hi, ask her some open-ended question so the conversation isn't awkward. Something about the homework, or compliment her on a test and ask her if she thought it was hard or not, etc.

Just do it! If you keep up with those short little convos you will start to build up a friendship, I mean maybe she is scared to talk to you because she thinks you don't want to talk to her! (my situation)

in lessons she stood out, not just attractive but intelligent and different in a good way.
    that is such a cute thing to say btw

ReputationRep:

Well obviously she'll remember you. She cannot blank you out like that and if you guys had classes together she would notice you were there. I understand your situation completely and there's nothing more awkward than when you feel there's an awkward mood around. I think after the 'how are you?' stage you should say something like 'how are you doing in [subject that you have with her]. This will then make the conversation flow more and once you're past that stage you're able to talk about anything. You won't know if she's interested if you don't try plus you might regret not trying in the future

I am in the exact same situation as you with a boy and I can say you should 100% go talk to her. I wish the boy I have a raging crush on would just come up and chat to me tbh, we used to talk a lot and I was so sure he liked me but recently (for no apparent reason) we just became less close and I don't know how to break the ice again.

Maybe go up and just say hi, ask her some open-ended question so the conversation isn't awkward. Something about the homework, or compliment her on a test and ask her if she thought it was hard or not, etc.

Just do it! If you keep up with those short little convos you will start to build up a friendship, I mean maybe she is scared to talk to you because she thinks you don't want to talk to her! (my situation)
    Thanks, hope everything goes well for you! If you know each other properly then you could say hi on Facebook or something, with me we haven't shared classes since school and now we're in college. Best of luck.

(Original post by EMILYYE)
    Well obviously she'll remember you. She cannot blank you out like that and if you guys had classes together she would notice you were there. I understand your situation completely and there's nothing more awkward than when you feel there's an awkward mood around. I think after the 'how are you?' stage you should say something like 'how are you doing in [subject that you have with her]. This will then make the conversation flow more and once you're past that stage you're able to talk about anything. You won't know if she's interested if you don't try plus you might regret not trying in the future
    Cheers, thanks for the reassurance. I'm glad you understand, I feel like it should be an easy hi but after all that time and how much I want closure and no regrets I just need to chill out and go for it. We're not in classes together anymore but I'll ask what she's doing how her Christmas was and the like. I reckon a few conversations in a couple weeks should be enough to gauge her interest. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not get her on social media? Then you can just message her and say hi and ask if she remembers you from so and so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Can you not get her on social media? Then you can just message her and say hi and ask if she remembers you from so and so...
    What if she isn't on any social media platform ? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supernova91)
    What if she isn't on any social media platform ? :laugh:
    Then OP's gonna have to go face to face, in this day and age unthinkable I know :eek:

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Then OP's gonna have to go face to face, in this day and age unthinkable I know :eek:
    Yeah she is, but face to face it gives me a reason to speak and also allows me to be confident and make better conversation than random small talk online after 18 months of blanking her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.