Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you date a person who is mentally slow? Watch

Say for instance that person is physically attractive, sweet and caring but this person can't think in their feet, takes time to process things and may not get the joke until 5 seconds later. Would it put you off or not?

ReputationRep:
    I'm someone like that
    Sadly these people will do the same **** to everyone they meet. There's a word for that: deplorable.
    • Political Ambassador

If I were attracted to them, I would.

ReputationRep:
    I like someone who's sharp, which is kind of hypocritical of me since I'm pretty dopey myself. :rolleyes:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess so because I'm a bit like that, just with extra awkwardness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I'm someone like that
    Sadly these people will do the same **** to everyone they meet. There's a word for that: deplorable.
    What people?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what kind of slow. There is a kind of slow, like myself, who are slow because we're not paying attention. I make myself look incredibly stupid at following simple discussions, but am usually pretty sharp when discussing interesting stuff like philosophy or maths. Then there is another kind of slow which is those that are naturally slow, I really don't mind those at all. The worst kind, the one I hate the most and wouldn't remain with for a minute, are the dull ones; the ones that aren't interested in anything that takes an inch of thought.

ReputationRep:
    Need more elaboration.

If someone is just slow to get a joke, then that's different to someone who's slow physically.

(Original post by oShahpo)
    Depends on what kind of slow. There is a kind of slow, like myself, who are slow because we're not paying attention. I make myself look incredibly stupid at following simple discussions, but am usually pretty sharp when discussing interesting stuff like philosophy or maths. Then there is another kind of slow which is those that are naturally slow, I really don't mind those at all. The worst kind, the one I hate the most and wouldn't remain with for a minute, are the dull ones; the ones that aren't interested in anything that takes an inch of thought.
    I meant slow to follow discussions that does not interest the person and long, or slow because it's the end of the day and they are burnt out or slow when getting certain jokes but then laughing so hard to make up for it. It could be very well that the person is naturally slow, however when they talk about stuff that is interesting, they come across as passionate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Agreed 100%

(Original post by Anonymous)
      Say for instance that person is physically attractive, sweet and caring but this person can't think in their feet, takes time to process things and may not get the joke until 5 seconds later. Would it put you off or not?
      Does this take into accound slowness being relative?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.