Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who actually has the best squad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people seem to think City have the strongest squad but apart from their midfield (when they aren't injured or suspended) im not too sure.

Who has the best squads overall?

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal has an amazing squad it's by far the best

ReputationRep:
    We will see in May.
    Btw whoever mentioned the most overrated team in club football needs to have a look at himself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    A lot of people seem to think City have the strongest squad but apart from their midfield (when they aren't injured or suspended) im not too sure.

Who has the best squads overall?
    Starting 11: would say Chelsea, but if Hazard / Costa stop playing well or injured not many options.
    If we look at starting 11 and reserve 11, for me: Spurs first, only worry CB and ST, MUFC are strong, City again lack the depth defensively and midfield, Chelsea have got good youth players but would they step up to Kante, Hazard etc idk. Arsenal have real poor options would be surprised if top 4 this year, look particularly weak in CDM (Elneny / Coquelan), and Liverpool are difficult, the way they have coped without Coutinho...
    If had to order:
    1. Spurs
    2. Chelsea
    3. MUFC
    4. Liverpool
    5. City
    6. Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    City

I still think don't Chelsea's squad on paper is that great, Conte has just worked wonders

ReputationRep:
    ****ing lol at any suggestion of Spurs having the best squad. They're the second worst squad in the top 6 after Liverpool. Their first 11 on paper is as strong as anybody's though but their bench is shocking. Their bench has Harry Winks, Vincent Janssen who hasn't scored in open play in the league, Moussa Sissoko who's hot and cold and Georges Nkoudou occupying half of the positions on the bench. Wimmer, Trippier, Vorm and Davies are good backups though

City have the best squad alongside United. Other than defence(where the individual defenders aren't that bad other than at fullback) they're fine. City have the best midfield in terms of depth when fit and their strike force is as good in depth.

I think United have best squad(City better midfield, quite superior to any other in the league, United better attack and defence) so United just edge it.

Liverpool actually have the worst first 11 and the worst squad by far though in terms of individual quality.

ReputationRep:
    United

City have no defence
    Chelsea have no depth

ReputationRep:
    Spurs and Liverpool have a load of good players, but do they have any genuine top class talents? Man Utd have Zlatan and Pogba, Chelsea have Hazard and Costa, Arsenal have Sanchez and Ozil, Citeh have Aguero, Silva and De Bruyne, but I wouldn't either have a genuine world beater other than maybe Kane and Coutinho.

For me to consider Spurs or Liverpool anywhere near the best, they need to have a genuine match winner and I don't really see many in their squad.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely believe Arsenal do. Unfortunately, we have a fraud manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    I genuinely believe Arsenal do. Unfortunately, we have a fraud manager.
    Cmon now.... decent but ageing keeper, overrated fullbacks, good CB partnership in Kosc and Mustafi, but other options not great. CM's below par imo, quick wingers but no end product, Ozil a luxury player, 3 strikers who are second choice quality at other clubs. Alexis is world class and will probably drag rest of team into 4th and then join Juve...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOG1)
    Cmon now.... decent but ageing keeper, overrated fullbacks, good CB partnership in Kosc and Mustafi, but other options not great. CM's below par imo, quick wingers but no end product, Ozil a luxury player, 3 strikers who are second choice quality at other clubs. Alexis is world class and will probably drag rest of team into 4th and then join Juve...
    Bruh. Bellerin is sick man. Believe the hype. Koscielny is class, Mustafi or s decent. We have a strong midfield when everyone's fit. Cazorla, Xhaka, Coquelin, Ramsey, Elneny. Ozil and Alexis world class. Giroud imo would walk into most teams in the league. Walcott, Ox and Iwobi all hit and miss.

ReputationRep:
    Bruh. Bellerin is sick man. Believe the hype. Koscielny is class, Mustafi or s decent. We have a strong midfield when everyone's fit. Cazorla, Xhaka, Coquelin, Ramsey, Elneny. Ozil and Alexis world class. Giroud imo would walk into most teams in the league. Walcott, Ox and Iwobi all hit and miss.
    Bellerin probs best RB in league going forward, defensively pretty poor. Its the other cb's tho, Gabriel is poor, Per is too slow but still decent, Holding looks average. For me, not one of those CM's would get into MUFC, Spurs, Chelsea or City starting XI. Ozil on his day is unplayable but he is more often than not a ghost on pitch in big games, like I said Alexis is quality. Would Giroud start ahead of Zlatan Aguero Costa or Kane? idk not as bad as a few years ago but still not best squad in prem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOG1)
    Bellerin probs best RB in league going forward, defensively pretty poor. Its the other cb's tho, Gabriel is poor, Per is too slow but still decent, Holding looks average. For me, not one of those CM's would get into MUFC, Spurs, Chelsea or City starting XI. Ozil on his day is unplayable but he is more often than not a ghost on pitch in big games, like I said Alexis is quality. Would Giroud start ahead of Zlatan Aguero Costa or Kane? idk not as bad as a few years ago but still not best squad in prem
    Meh. You could make a case for it. Just wanted another reason to abuse Wenger in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. You could make a case for it. Just wanted another reason to abuse Wenger in all honesty.
    Hahaha I can only imagine! No titles in all that time, should've quit the day he signed Arshavin or Chamkh

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone has a really great squad at the moment. There are clubs at the top with an assortment of good players but a bit unbalanced: City and Liverpool in particular. Then Chelsea and Arsenal are almost the mirror image of each other. Chelsea have a really good spine of the team now, going from Costa/Hazard, Kante, the back 3 are playing well although I don't think they are outstanding players, and Courtois. Arsenal lack a real spine. They have a lot of hit-and-miss talents and only really Sanchez who is genuinely top class and possibly Cazorla.

Just a point about Arsenal, there has been a tendency to overrate their big gun players for a while now. Even when they were a selling club, selling their best players, they were largely cashing in for players that weren't quite as good as they were thought to be. Other than Van Persie for half a season at United, and Fabregas for half a season at Chelsea, the ex-Arsenal players ended up being bit part players at clubs with stronger squads. They were a bit too "Arsenal" in their play to nail down places in a top team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I don't think anyone has a really great squad at the moment. There are clubs at the top with an assortment of good players but a bit unbalanced: City and Liverpool in particular. Then Chelsea and Arsenal are almost the mirror image of each other. Chelsea have a really good spine of the team now, going from Costa/Hazard, Kante, the back 3 are playing well although I don't think they are outstanding players, and Courtois. Arsenal lack a real spine. They have a lot of hit-and-miss talents and only really Sanchez who is genuinely top class and possibly Cazorla.

Just a point about Arsenal, there has been a tendency to overrate their big gun players for a while now. Even when they were a selling club, selling their best players, they were largely cashing in for players that weren't quite as good as they were thought to be. Other than Van Persie for half a season at United, and Fabregas for half a season at Chelsea, the ex-Arsenal players ended up being bit part players at clubs with stronger squads. They were a bit too "Arsenal" in their play to nail down places in a top team.
    You don't think Azpilicueta is an outstanding player? I can understand Luiz and Cahil but Azpilicueta has shown versatility and has never really had a spell where he's been in poor form for his entire time at Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    Azpi is an excellent player, probably the best defender in the league over the last three seasons
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Between Arsenal, City & United for me. Chelsea completing the top four.

I don't think we're that far away, just need a midfielder or two and possibly another attacking player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    You don't think Azpilicueta is an outstanding player? I can understand Luiz and Cahil but Azpilicueta has shown versatility and has never really had a spell where he's been in poor form for his entire time at Chelsea.
    Yes in fairness Azpilcueta is a top defender so should count him in my list of elite players in the Chelsea spine that are better than other teams spine.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any of the squads in the big 6 are very good, all have big obvious flaws and most lack real quality in many positions.

The two Manchester clubs have maybe 3 decent full backs between them (Shaw, Valencia and Kolarov), neither has a reliable back up keeper worth anything and both have struggled when their first choice defensive midfielder (Fernandinho and Carrick) is not in the side.

Liverpool have well documented issues with their total inability to defend as well as keep a goalkeeper in good form, although that strikes me as more of a cultural issue at the club than a personnel one. Spurs have a decent squad but they are over reliant on Keane and Sissoko has to give you minus points.

Arsenal are okay, but again lack options at full back, similiarly with Chelsea, but they have a number of players out on loan who could quite eeasily return and the fill that up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.