Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I just wanted to know why are cell surface receptions are likely to made out of protein? The question also tells me they're designed to recognise and bind on to specific messenger molecules, hormones or neurotransmitters when they come into contact with a cell.
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algebrax1)
    Hi!
    I just wanted to know why are cell surface receptions are likely to made out of protein? The question also tells me they're designed to recognise and bind on to specific messenger molecules, hormones or neurotransmitters when they come into contact with a cell.
    Thank you so much!
    Proteins can take an almost infinite number of possible shapes and sizes depending on the order and number of amino acids. This makes them ideal for cell-surface receptors and channels and stuff because you can probably make a protein that will be a complementary shape to anything. In fact, we can even make antibodies in a lab that are complementary to certain cell surface receptors (such as the ones found on cancer cells) which can then lead to these cells being targeted for destruction or we can use the antibodies to deliver drugs to cancer cells without them targeting other cells. It's pretty interesting. You can also use antibodies to label certain cells in a tissue, it's called immunohistochemistry

ReputationRep:
    There are so many different proteins with different structures, primarily due to the R variable group attached to the carbon. The R group basically codes what kind of structure the protein will be.
    The sequence of amino acids determine the tertiary structure for the receptor which will be complimentary to a specific substrate for example, a neurotransmitter to form a complex.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.