Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone taking the new bsc Psychology course at KCL?
    I can't find much online about people's experiences as it is so new.
    Also, is anyone here applying for this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleksceramics)
    Is anyone taking the new bsc Psychology course at KCL?
    I can't find much online about people's experiences as it is so new.
    Also, is anyone here applying for this year?

Hello! I am a current Second Year BSc Psychology Student at KCL. Happy to answer any questions you may have or point you in the direction of any information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaulMey)
    Hello! I am a current Second Year BSc Psychology Student at KCL. Happy to answer any questions you may have or point you in the direction of any information.
    awesome! how do you find the course? the campus?
    what do you do on an average day? is there a focus on neuro/biology at all?
    sorry i do have a lot of questions haha

ReputationRep:
    awesome! how do you find the course? the campus?
    what do you do on an average day? is there a focus on neuro/biology at all?
    sorry i do have a lot of questions haha
    Hi! I'm also a second year student on the course and I would love to help answer your questions

I personally love the course! We (PaulMey and I) are the first cohort to graduate, so it's definitely a relatively new course. But by now, we've definitely revised the course to be even better for the new cohorts! There's definitely a great exposure to "real life situations" and how to actually apply the psychological theories we learn about - we actually have a video on that if you want to check it out
    https://youtu.be/nTCgj0PgOzg

In terms of contact hours in the first year, there are 14 hours per week with a typical week being:
    - 6 hours in a lecture (120 - 140 students)
    - 2 hours of lab classes for practical work (20 - 30 students)
    - 1 hour computer class for data analysis (30 - 40 students)
    - 4 hours of seminars (15 - 20 students)
    - 1 hour real life scenario work (working in groups of 4 - 6 students)

For your first year, two models are coursework, while the other 6 modules have a mixture of exams and coursework. You'll be based at Guy's (right next to London Bridge) and every two weeks you'll go down to Denmark Hill. At Denmark Hill you'll get the opportunity to get hands-on experience (such as using EEG machines and learning about virtual reality).

There is a large focus on the neuroscience / biology side, as this is a BSc degree. However we do not expect anyone to know much when they begin! We do start at the basics but it does speed up relatively quickly. If you don't know much biology to begin with, or still feel lost during the course, do not worry! The chances are loads of people are feeling the same way. Our lectures actually hold drop-in sessions and you can go talk to them if you ever need clarification.

Hopefully this has been useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valeriayuen1)
    Hi! I'm also a second year student on the course and I would love to help answer your questions

I personally love the course! We (PaulMey and I) are the first cohort to graduate, so it's definitely a relatively new course. But by now, we've definitely revised the course to be even better for the new cohorts! There's definitely a great exposure to "real life situations" and how to actually apply the psychological theories we learn about - we actually have a video on that if you want to check it out

In terms of contact hours in the first year, there are 14 hours per week with a typical week being:

For your first year, two models are coursework, while the other 6 modules have a mixture of exams and coursework. You'll be based at Guy's (right next to London Bridge) and every two weeks you'll go down to Denmark Hill. At Denmark Hill you'll get the opportunity to get hands-on experience (such as using EEG machines and learning about virtual reality).

There is a large focus on the neuroscience / biology side, as this is a BSc degree. However we do not expect anyone to know much when they begin! We do start at the basics but it does speed up relatively quickly. If you don't know much biology to begin with, or still feel lost during the course, do not worry! The chances are loads of people are feeling the same way. Our lectures actually hold drop-in sessions and you can go talk to them if you ever need clarification.

Hi

I just got accepted to the BSc in psychology and i wanted to ask some questions as well...
    First of all, your comment was Super helpful! Thanks for that!
    So...How many hours a week do you spend on studying, coursework et cetra? How many hours left do you have for KCLSU activities, for example?
    do you know anyone or you yourself in any of King's dorms? how is it?
    And last, but not least, i am from Israel. I wanted to know- do you know anyone from here that studies in King's? Preferably psychology? will someone from israel be accepted and have a good time there?

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valeriayuen1)

Thank you!! My questions are the same as the poster above me, but also- how did you find making friends and moving to london?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maya14235867)
    Hi

I just got accepted to the BSc in psychology and i wanted to ask some questions as well...
    First of all, your comment was Super helpful! Thanks for that!
    So...How many hours a week do you spend on studying, coursework et cetra? How many hours left do you have for KCLSU activities, for example?
    do you know anyone or you yourself in any of King's dorms? how is it?
    And last, but not least, i am from Israel. I wanted to know- do you know anyone from here that studies in King's? Preferably psychology? will someone from israel be accepted and have a good time there?

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

Hello Maya,

As valeriayuen1 said I am also a second year Psychology student on the BSc at KCL.

So, I work once a week for a whole day and also do lots of other things outside of the course like extra modules at King’s and volunteering and sports and I find that I definitely have time to attend all the classes, have plenty of time to do all the work and still have time to do things in my spare time. I know some people treat uni like a job and study and attend classes 9-6 every day and then have the evenings and weekends to themselves. I prefer to work a bit more flexibly because sometimes it is so nice to have a Tuesday morning off when the city is emptier and go and do things.

I didn’t live in King’s halls but I know valeriayuen1 did. All of my friends who did really enjoyed it and found it really easy as lots of things you would usually have to worry about are sorted out for you. It is also a great and easy way to meet new people and make friends. I personally don’t anyone on the course at the moment who is from Israel but there are so many people from all over the world on our course – I have found that to be one of the best things, learning about the rich cultural diversity of my peers.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Have a lovely afternoon!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! My questions are the same as the poster above me, but also- how did you find making friends and moving to london?

Hey, so I am from London so I can’t answer your question about moving here but I can say that I love it enough to not want to leave (for now at least).

I live at home so I was worried that I would find it hard to make friends but it was much easier than I expected. I made some friends on the course and then made some through activities and sports that I got involved with. This second year I have also met some more great people. The great thing about London unis is that they are all linked so you can go to events at other unis and use their facilities too. Living in halls also helped lots of people make friends. Hope this helps a bit!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.