Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need to seek medical advise but .. Watch

I need to really seek medical advise, I need to go to the doctors but the only issue is last time I went I was 10 and now I'm 18 I suffer from anxiety so find it hard to speak to people especially those in authority, what can I do how ?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I need to really seek medical advise, I need to go to the doctors but the only issue is last time I went I was 10 and now I'm 18 I suffer from anxiety so find it hard to speak to people especially those in authority, what can I do how ?
    If you have any coping mechanisms you normally use you can obviously use them, but you can also check out sites like mind.org, sane.org or some specifically for anxiety to see if they have any helpful advice for you.

If you think you may struggle in the appointment you can write a note beforehand saying that you have anxiety and explaining why you are there. You might also find it helpful to bring somebody with you. You can also try breathing exercises before you go in to try to limit how anxious you get.

Have you considered seeing somebody about your anxiety btw? Therapy can do wonders and you can also be prescribed medication if you need it. It's worth considering if you haven't already.

Good luck. Try to remember that there is nothing to be worried about and whatever it is that makes you anxious about talking to them is just your anxiety messing with you. They won't judge you or anything- it's their job not to- so try to stay calm and say what you need to.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I used to be the same. As a child I didn't go often, but found myself anxious about it when I really needed to go. You might find it easier to write everything down beforehand and either read off the paper, or even just give it to them so you don't have to explain it yourself. I've done that a couple of times. You can ask the receptionist for a male or female doctor, whoever you might feel more comfortable with, and they may have a nurse available to chaperone the appointment if it would make you feel more comfortable. You could also take someone with you for support. You might also want to consider mentioning your anxiety while you're there so everything can be dealt with in one session, because there's a lot of help they can offer you for it. If your anxiety is preventing you from accessing healthcare, then it sounds like you could really do with some more support. Good luck :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Call them up and ask for a telephone consultation

ReputationRep:
    Planning to go to GP to do blood test for hormones but last time I spoke to my GP in regards to terrible head aches after squatting (didn't have before), he was 200% useless, saying "don't squat". Genius!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.