Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know about 'Supported lipid bilayers as drug screening tools' i need a short paragraph about this please!!! can anyone help?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idress24)
    Does anyone know about 'Supported lipid bilayers as drug screening tools' i need a short paragraph about this please!!! can anyone help?
    Since no one replied I decided to do some research on Supported Lipid Bilayer (SLB) applications in biotechnology. They are currently being tested as drug delivery tools, in addition to many other applications including gene therapy. However, if you take a look at the paper titled "Biotechnology Applications of Tethered Lipid Bilayer Membranes", there is a section on using SLBs to detect the influenze virus, using gramicidin ion channels embedded in the tethered bilayer as electrical switches. There is a number of biosensor applications which SLBs could be applied to and it has attracted a lot of research.

"Supported membranes are particularly good models for reproducing the fluidity of cell membranes even when different liquid lipid phases coexist. They are also superb models for measuring ligand-receptor interactions between membrane-bound receptors and soluble or membrane-bound ligands." Here is just a quotation taken from a review article on SLBs highlighting the advantages to their usage in molecular studies.

The first paper is available to download via a google search, while the review article I mentioned is available through this link: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...cb663/abstract

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.