Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To those who want striking to be made illegal... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    But the man who ultimately carries the can for railway safety, Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Railways, says:

"There are clear safety benefits compared to the current method of operation using a Conductor because the driver will be able to monitor the Platform Train Interface for a short distance as the train leaves the station."

http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_...nuary-2017.pdf
    There have been fatal and near-fatal incidents involving DOO recently. Drivers can only see the train until it hits 4mph, whereas a guard has head out all the way. All the **** that gets on the cameras and kicks them out of alignment only makes it worse.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GW43125)
    There have been fatal and near-fatal incidents involving DOO recently. Drivers can only see the train until it hits 4mph, whereas a guard has head out all the way. All the **** that gets on the cameras and kicks them out of alignment only makes it worse.
    I image there have also been fatal and near fatal incidents involving trains that aren't DOO sooooo....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I image there have also been fatal and near fatal incidents involving trains that aren't DOO sooooo....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    More with trains that are DOO.

I can find at least three PTI incidents in the last 3 years on DOO trains

One on a non-DOO train

And an evacuation that led to a fatality on a DOO train.

ReputationRep:
    How long is class 377 set? 5 cars? How many opening windows are there in each carriage for the guard to look out of? I couldn't see any on the photos I googled. I could only see an opening window in the trailing cab. So the guard might have his head out of the window leaving Victoria but after that, no chance.

ReputationRep:

One on a non-DOO train

Then why did the Rail Standards and Safety Board say:

"We have 30 years of data which we have analysed. We have found that the driver performing the task [ie doors] does not increase the risk to passengers at all."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    What exactly do you plan to do when 50% walk out on you? Strikes generally don't consist of just one person walking out.
    And thus why it should be not allowed for them to occur so easily...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NI30241834)
    By the use of a complaints commision modeled on the ones already used in the police and the army. Also people are free to walk away if they don't want to work(except in the army) so the government would be well advised to treat them well if they don't want to loose their workforce.
    The bold is literally the definition of a strike, people walking away because they don't want to work under the current conditions. All employers would be well advised to treat their employees well, that doesn't mean they'll actually do it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

One on a non-DOO train

Funny that because I'm looking at the list of accidents and there are two common themes: 1) DOO or not DOO would make no difference, 2) most of them are to do with level crossings. Oh, and only two fatalities this decade, one was a car on a level crossings, the other a passenger falling between the train and platform (and BTW that was the guard's fault)

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.