Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No idea how to do this question someone helpppp thanks :P

It's June 2009 C3 OCR MEI, Question 7 ii)

I've done i) A and B but not sure how to go about this.

Name:  question 7.png
Views: 36
Size:  10.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    What does (B) tell you about whether x^2+xy+y^2 can be < 0. Also, under what circumstances can it equal 0.

Now apply to (A).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    What does (B) tell you about whether x^2+xy+y^2 can be < 0. Also, under what circumstances can it equal 0.

Now apply to (A).
    So is (B) saying that it can not be less than 0?

I get that the expansion of (B) is the same as the second pair of brackets in (A) but not sure how to link that??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azizadil1998)
    So is (B) saying that it can not be less than 0?
    Yes.

I get that the expansion of (B) is the same as the second pair of brackets in (A) but not sure how to link that??
    Well, if you have two expressions F, G and you know F > 0 and G > 0, then what can we say about FG?

Note that although you've seen that we can't have G < 0, you'll need to rule out the case where G = 0.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Well, if you have two expressions F, G and you know F > 0 and G > 0, then what can we say about FG?

Note that although you've seen that we can't have G < 0, you'll need to rule out the case where G = 0.
    Ohhh yeah ok so the composite function has to be >0, And how do I rule that out?

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh yeah ok so the composite function has to be >0, And how do I rule that out?
    You've been given that x &gt; y so what does that tell you about x-y?

When can the other factor of the product x^2+xy+y^2 be 0? Is that possible given the condition above?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    You've been given that x &gt; y so what does that tell you about x-y?

When can the other factor of the product x^2+xy+y^2 be 0? Is that possible given the condition above?
    Ok so x - y will be >0 then...?

And it can't be 0 then can it?

ReputationRep:
    Ok so x - y will be >0 then...?

And it can't be 0 then can it?
    You need to find the conditions under which x^2+xy+y^2 can equal 0. You then need to show this can't possibly happen if x > y.

ReputationRep:
    You need to find the conditions under which x^2+xy+y^2 can equal 0. You then need to show this can't possibly happen if x > y.
    Ohh ok then, gonna try that one min

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this condition when x=0? or y=? I'm not sure if I know what you mean If x>y this can never be 0 e.g. if x = 2 and y=1, it = 7.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this condition when x=0? or y=? I'm not sure if I know what you mean If x>y this can never be 0 e.g. if x = 2 and y=1, it = 7.
    You know that x^3-y^3=(x-y)((x+\frac{y}{2})^2+\frac{3y^2}  {4})

But to have 0 = x^3-y^3=(x-y)((x+\frac{y}{2})^2+\frac{3y^2}  {4}) requires that either:

x-y=0

or:

(x+\frac{y}{2})^2+\frac{3y^2}{4} = 0

The first possibility has been ruled out by the condition x &gt;y. You now need to rule out the second possibility. To start to do this note that if A \ge 0, B \ge 0, then to have A+B=0 requires that we have both A=0, B=0.

Can you apply that fact to the expression in question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    You know that x^3-y^3=(x-y)((x+\frac{y}{2})^2+\frac{3y^2}  {4})

But to have 0 = x^3-y^3=(x-y)((x+\frac{y}{2})^2+\frac{3y^2}  {4}) requires that either:

x-y=0

or:

(x+\frac{y}{2})^2+\frac{3y^2}{4} = 0

The first possibility has been ruled out by the condition x &gt;y. You now need to rule out the second possibility. To start to do this note that if A \ge 0, B \ge 0, then to have A+B=0 requires that we have both A=0, B=0.

Can you apply that fact to the expression in question?
    Ok I get the first bit but I don't know how to apply this to the expression. I hateeee proof like literally do not get this at all! Didn't do this at AS since I did Edexcel now I have to practice it myself since my new school does OCR MEI and they occasionally put this type of dodgy question.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I get the first bit but I don't know how to apply this to the expression. I hateeee proof like literally do not get this at all! Didn't do this at AS since I did Edexcel now I have to practice it myself since my new school does OCR MEI and they occasionally put this type of dodgy question.
    OK, let me spell it out a bit more:

You want to rule out (x+\frac{y}{2})^2+\frac{3y^2}{4} = 0. So let's assume that it is true, and find conditions on x,y that make it true.

First note that both terms are \ge 0 since they are squares. So they play the roles of A and B in what I posted earlier. That means that:

(x+\frac{y}{2})^2+\frac{3y^2}{4} = 0 \Rightarrow (x+\frac{y}{2})^2 = 0, \frac{3y^2}{4} = 0

Now solve those simultaneous equations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.