Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've applied for adult nursing and honestly I'm not completely confident that I'm going to be able to achieve the grades for entry. My predicted grades are AAB. I'm currently studying Biology, psychology & English language, and I am struggling I'm finding a levels very difficult

The uni with the highest grade requirements I have applied to is ABB and the lowest BBC, never mind the high entry requirements I'm questioning whether I'll be able to achieve the BBC. Do you guys have any effective revision tips? Also what is going through UCAS extra and clearing like? Any tips for using those too?

I feel like if I receive an unconditional offer it would obviously take a lot of weight off my shoulders but I don't think it's all that common. Has anyone received unconditional for nursing?

Thanks youuu
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccacylx)
    Hey guys, I've applied for adult nursing and honestly I'm not completely confident that I'm going to be able to achieve the grades for entry. My predicted grades are AAB. I'm currently studying Biology, psychology & English language, and I am struggling I'm finding a levels very difficult

The uni with the highest grade requirements I have applied to is ABB and the lowest BBC, never mind the high entry requirements I'm questioning whether I'll be able to achieve the BBC. Do you guys have any effective revision tips? Also what is going through UCAS extra and clearing like? Any tips for using those too?

I feel like if I receive an unconditional offer it would obviously take a lot of weight off my shoulders but I don't think it's all that common. Has anyone received unconditional for nursing?

Thanks youuu
    Universities are unlikely to make unconditional offers for nursing to applicants still taking their A levels.

Unconditional offers to Y13 students are generally used to encourage more students to unpopular universities/courses...as I'm sure you know nursing is very oversubscribed.

ReputationRep:
    You would only get an unconditional for nursing if you had already achieved the grades. Even then 'unconditional' (following successful maths and English tests) is dependent on a clear DBS.
    Your predicted grades are very good, may be you just lack a bit of self-confidence.
    If you're serious about getting on to a nursing course, rock those A levels!
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    i would be very worried about a uni that did not interview a nursing student. its a lot more than just grades. they need to see your the right personality some are really not.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I am currently a student nurse, I didn't get into nursing the first year I applied, but the second year I got unconditional offers. I only got unconditional because I had already got my a-level results. But in regards to my first year of apply, I got interviews for them all and rejected after the interview. I lacked experience and confidence. Honestly, the interview is what you need to focus on now. Although with the a-level, I know how hard it is, but just do your best. I went through extras that year, and got more interviews.. you can only do extras if you don't have any offers. If you think you aren't going to get the grades you have for your offers then do extras! I never did clearly, i'm not sure how it works for nursing.

If you need any more help with interviews or anything, just ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulbarlow)
    i would be very worried about a uni that did not interview a nursing student. its a lot more than just grades. they need to see your the right personality some are really not.
    Hi yes, at that point I hadn't received any interview offers yet but now I have them from all of my choices & I'm ecstatic! Fingers crossed these will go well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ge*)
    Hi there, I am currently a student nurse, I didn't get into nursing the first year I applied, but the second year I got unconditional offers. I only got unconditional because I had already got my a-level results. But in regards to my first year of apply, I got interviews for them all and rejected after the interview. I lacked experience and confidence. Honestly, the interview is what you need to focus on now. Although with the a-level, I know how hard it is, but just do your best. I went through extras that year, and got more interviews.. you can only do extras if you don't have any offers. If you think you aren't going to get the grades you have for your offers then do extras! I never did clearly, i'm not sure how it works for nursing.

If you need any more help with interviews or anything, just ask!
    Thank you! It's very helpful to hear about your own experience with it hope everything is going well for you x

ReputationRep:
    really pleased for you. well done

ReputationRep:
    Hi beccacylx I have received an unconditional offer for adult nursing, i have the grades (applied with an Access to HE Diploma in Nursing and Midwifery) and passed both English and Maths tests and successful at interview so it is possible. Good luck on your journey

ReputationRep:
    My offer is conditional because I need to pass the health and criminal record checks, but I already had my grades in place. Go for the interview with the attitude that you're gonna SMASH it, be confident, don't worry about your grades right now, focus on presenting yourself the best you can at your interview. You want to be a nurse right? Show 'em!

I interviewed very badly last year because I was very nervous and stumbled a lot because of it, so sadly didn't quite make it. But this year I put much more time and effort into making sure I knew what I wanted to say inside-out (rehearse with friends or family, give them questions to ask you and be sure you can answer them well, and confidently!). Can't speak for all unis but Swansea seemed very flexible with grades if you interviewed very well with them - with nursing, academics aren't the be-all and end-all because in the end those can be taught and you can get help with those. It's being the right kind of person attitude-wise that they're looking for. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice! I'm actually heading to an interview now so fingers crossed Hope you get to go to whichever your chosen uni!! X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccacylx)
    Thank you for the advice! I'm actually heading to an interview now so fingers crossed Hope you get to go to whichever your chosen uni!! X
    Good Luck, let us know how it goes!!!

Fingers crossed for you!!!

ReputationRep:
    beccacylx How did the interview go, when will you hear?

ReputationRep:
    i'm still waiting to hear back from one of my choices as it is an extra choice. the unis requirements are BBC at sqa highers and i have above this, so i don't know if that will secure me an unconditional place (if i get chosen for interview). does anyone know how they select unconditionals? is it based on interview + grades, or grades alone?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is possible, I received an unconditional on Friday despite still studying for my latest course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geo3456)
    Yes, it is possible, I received an unconditional on Friday despite still studying for my latest course.
    Congrats! Which uni was that for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usagi.tsukino)
    i'm still waiting to hear back from one of my choices as it is an extra choice. the unis requirements are BBC at sqa highers and i have above this, so i don't know if that will secure me an unconditional place (if i get chosen for interview). does anyone know how they select unconditionals? is it based on interview + grades, or grades alone?
    I'm not 100% sure but I think you'd be quite unlikely to be given an unconditional offer applying through extra because you're considered as a late application. Most unis will prioritise applications received before the January deadline and only offer places to late applicants if they still have places available (which is very rare with nursing). As a late applicant I'd guess you'd receive a conditional if lucky to be honest

ReputationRep:
    I only got an unconditional offer because I had already achieved the grades. Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    If you've got the necessary grades and receive a unconditional for nursing, is it likely you would be required to government for interviews for the English/Maths tests?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaPartington)
    If you've got the necessary grades and receive a unconditional for nursing, is it likely you would be required to government for interviews for the English/Maths tests?
    Hi, just to clarify your question, Are you asking if you need to complete an interview and English & maths tests, even if you have the required grades?
    Even if you have your grades and meet the entry requirements, you will still need to attend the university's selection/interview day in order to receive an offer.
    I hope is helps and feel free to reply or quote me if I haven't been able to answer your original question for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.