Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Anonymous)
      Should a trans woman who has not undergone surgery and still looks like a man choose to use female public toilets? Or is it better for her and everyone if she just uses the male toilets like she has done all her life?

Do not mean to cause any offence if this is a sensitive topic, I'm just wondering.
      :facepalm:

Gender-differentiated toilets were invented so women didn't have to see wangs they did not want to see. Your "trans woman" has a wang, and is therefore a man, and therefor does not belong in a toilet for people who do not/will not/never had a ****ing wang.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
      surely wolf-type species would be pretty game for just going on a tree somewhere no?
      omg hell no

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cherryred90s)
      Doesn't it matter what other people are comfortable with?
      i don't know tbh, i think they should just accept that a trans woman is using their toilet and move on...people will need to get used to this eventually. But it could make things easier if there was an all gender toilet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Conceited)
      Yes. I'm of the opinion that gender neutral toilets should be considered. I've seen 'em in action with no hassle and aware that some universities, e.g. Lancaster and Oxford have dabbled with it.

If you think that I'm wrong or have don't have the right ideas I'd be glad to hear your take on it.
      I don't really like the sound of it.

What about women with daughters? Would they feel comfortable aiding their daughter in the toilet whilst a grown man is in the cubicle directly next to them who could take a peek if he wanted to?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Amelia488)
      what about transgender people that got the surgery to have the female genitals?
      Then that's not transGENDER. It's officially transSEXUAL and they have the genitalia that matches the toilet obviously.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by KyleH123)
      why do you go in the womens' then
      shots

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by KyleH123)
      why do you go in the womens' then
      You're a ****in savage.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JamesN88)
      You're a ****in savage.
      kyle is a wee little insect

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Pikachū)
      No. You go to the toilet of your biological gender.
      So this man should have to use the women's toilet?

What about women with daughters? Would they feel comfortable aiding their daughter in the toilet whilst a grown man is in the cubicle directly next to them who could take a peek if he wanted to?
      Nothing's stopping anyone walking right in as it is. Don't try to make this about the children when there are no reported incidents of transgender people sexually assaulting anyone in a toilet.

ReputationRep:
      Nothing's stopping anyone walking right in as it is.Don't try to make this about the children when there are no reported incidents of transgender people sexually assaulting anyone in a toilet.
      Making gender neutral toilets would obviously increase the likelihood of something like that happen. It's not about transgender people sexually assaulting people, it just makes it easier for pedophiles regardless of whether they're trans.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mactotaur)
      So this man should have to use the women's toilet?
      Clearly passes as a man, so he should use the men's toilets. He'll get funny looks and may even get reported for using womens. Not sure if he has a penis but things like periods may be difficult as men's toilets don't have the sanitary bins.
      Still shouldn't mean that toilets should be gender neutral. Why should people be made uncomfortable to cater for less than 1% of the population?
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
      Moved to Society

ReputationRep:
      No, a man who thinks he is a woman and has undergone surgery to look like one should not be allowed into a woman's toilet nor use a woman's changing room nor a woman's bath house nor a woman's massage parlour etc. The same rule applies to women who think they are men and anyone else who's thoughts do not conform with reality....they should all have unrestricted access to mental health services though..

ReputationRep:
      Clearly passes as a man, so he should use the men's toilets. He'll get funny looks and may even get reported for using womens. Not sure if he has a penis but things like periods may be difficult as men's toilets don't have the sanitary bins.
      Still shouldn't mean that toilets should be gender neutral. Why should people be made uncomfortable to cater for less than 1% of the population?
      You weren't the one being asked. A poster above you stated "You go to the toilet of your biological gender." I wanted to know if they'd still uphold that belief in this situation.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mactotaur)
      You weren't the one being asked. A poster above you stated "You go to the toilet of your biological gender." I wanted to know if they'd still uphold that belief in this situation.
      Ok

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CookieButter)
      No, a man who thinks he is a woman and has undergone surgery to look like one should not be allowed into a woman's toilet nor use a woman's changing room nor a woman's bath house nor a woman's massage parlour etc. The same rule applies to women who think they are men and anyone else who's thoughts do not conform with reality....they should all have unrestricted access to mental health services though..
      Wow

ReputationRep:
      Gendered toilets is pretty unnecessary in the first place, I would understand some places that have urinals etc however most places should really just have non-gendered bathrooms really.

I do think trans people should be able to use the toilet they want to use, nobody is in danger from a trans person going into the opposite biological gendered bathroom.

ReputationRep:
      How about you just wear the clothes and maintain the appearance pertaining to your biological sex and use the corresponding bathroom? Nobody will be confused as to what you are, and you'll avoid causing yourself a lot of hassle and awkward questions.

ReputationRep:
      Toilets aren't sexual places so people can use whatever toilet they want. I do think it is kind of silly how separate toilets are and don't really understand why this issue is so big.

also this point: young girls often go to the mens toilets with their dad if their mother is not around. As I said, toilets are not sexual places and if there is a man going into the toilets and peeking at young children, that would most likely be reported whether toilets are gender neutral or not, whether the person is transgender or not.

I've been in gender neutral toilets and I think people could easily get used to them (lots of cubicles - no urinals out in the open as I recall.)

ReputationRep:
      also this point: young girls often go to the toilets with their dad if their mother is not around.
      That's their parent who they trust, not a random strange man loitering in the little girls room.

As I said, toilets are not sexual places and if there is a man going into the toilets and peeking at young children, that would most likely be reported whether toilets are gender neutral or not, whether the person is transgender or not.
      Toilets don't have to be sexual places for a sexual assault to take place..
      By making gender neutral toilets, it makes it easier for them.

I've been in gender neutral toilets and I think people could easily get used to them (lots of cubicles - no urinals out in the open as I recall.)
      why? What is the point?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.