The Student Room Group

Transgender and public toilets

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
What a disgusting amount of ignorance and transphobia in this thread. This is precisely why people that have no idea what they are talking about should just shut up, listen and learn.

"I'm not comfortable peeing in public where I might be surrounded by transphobes who are likely to attack me". A far more real problem than any other ever brought up in this ridiculous discussion.

In my opinion toilets should not be for either 'male' and 'female'. They should be for transphobes and non transphobes :smile:
Original post by tazarooni89
Firstly, you have no idea whether there have been examples of this happening or not. If someone did manage to successfully enter the bathroom of the opposite sex under disguise, there's no reason why you would ever find out about it.

Secondly, it doesn't matter whether there have actually been examples of this happening or not. Either way, it would be considered highly inappropriate (and potentially illegal) to disguise yourself as the opposite sex and use their facilities, so there's no reason why some individuals should be given the special right to do this.

so if no one ever found out about it then its clear that person wasnt doing anything out of the ordinary that would had led ppl to notice or report them. again your examples are just absurd, lets stick to what we actually know happens ok instead of clutching at straws and coming up with ridiculous scenarios in an effort to stop people using the bathroom of their identified sex provided theyre indistinguishable physically. yes it does matter if there have been examples because were not going to base whether or not ppl can do this on something that hasnt been known to happen, end of. another straw man as were not speaking about ppl who disguise themselves so stop trying to distract everyone. were talking about ppl who have had a sex change because of gender dysphoria using the bathrooms of their identified sex. they can do that, it isn't illegal :smile:
https://theboar.org/2017/01/gender-neutral-toilets-campus/

For anyone who goes to Warwick, this article will either amuse or enrage you
Original post by Chúpamela porfi
so if no one ever found out about it then its clear that person wasnt doing anything out of the ordinary that would had led ppl to notice or report them. again your examples are just absurd, lets stick to what we actually know happens ok instead of clutching at straws and coming up with ridiculous scenarios in an effort to stop people using the bathroom of their identified sex provided theyre indistinguishable physically. yes it does matter if there have been examples because were not going to base whether or not ppl can do this on something that hasnt been known to happen, end of. another straw man as were not speaking about ppl who disguise themselves so stop trying to distract everyone. were talking about ppl who have had a sex change because of gender dysphoria using the bathrooms of their identified sex. they can do that, it isn't illegal :smile:

That's precisely what a "sex change" is - disguising yourself as someone of the opposite sex.

There's no reason why a select few people should be given special privileges to be allowed to do this and gain access to areas they would otherwise be restricted from.
That's precisely what a "sex change" is - disguising yourself as someone of the opposite sex.

There's no reason why a select few people should be given special privileges to be allowed to do this and gain access to areas they would otherwise be restricted from.

No it isn't stop being silly. It's changing your sex not disgusting yourself as one, end of. Yes there is as they identify with the sex of those toilets and if they've transitioned they should and can use them.
depends how convincing their charade is to the members of gender that they're trying to mingle with - if it's convincing then what they don't know won't hurt them I guess.
No it isn't stop being silly. It's changing your sex not disgusting yourself as one, end of.

They're making themselves look like a member of the opposite sex, which is precisely what a disguise is - artificially making yourself look like something else.

You cannot change your biological sex.

Yes there is as they identify with the sex of those toilets and if they've transitioned they should and can use them.

As above, "transitioning" is literally identical to disguising yourself.

And what they "identify" with is neither here nor there. Anyone can say they identify as anything.
(edited 7 years ago)
They're making themselves look like a member of the opposite sex, which is precisely what a disguise is - artificially making yourself look like something else.

You cannot change your biological sex.

As above, "transitioning" is literally identical to disguising yourself.

And what they "identify" with is neither here nor there. Anyone can say they identify as anything.

No it isn't. A disguise is intended to conceal your identity which they're not doing, they are expressing their identity by having surgery and using the toilets of the sex they identify with. It is here and there, they identify as a certain sex, transition to that sex and thus can and do use the toilets of that sex.
All of you. This is 2017. People can go into the bathroom they want. ITS THEIR BODY NOT YOURS!
Stop assuming our genders!
There are 2 genders the rest I would consider serious mental illnesses
Except that's not what I was saying so good one. I was saying that why shouldn't someone who wants to be the opposite sex get the operation? They know that genetically and biologically they can't become the opposite sex, but if they might as well have if their body looks extremely similar to it.

Why shouldn't someone who wants to be the opposite sex get the operation? for the same reason that a person who thinks they are a space rocket shouldn't get one....mental illness.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JoshDawg
We have disabled toilets, they can go use them. Funnily enough I do consider gender dysphoria a disability so those toilets suit them.

But why should they have to just because some people are transphobic?
Original post by CookieButter
Why shouldn't someone who wants to be the opposite sex get the operation? for the same reason that a person who thinks they are a space rocket shouldn't get one....mental illness.

stupid thing to say because it's impossible to make yourself look like a rocket. at least with an operation you can look reasonably similar to the opposite sex.
stupid thing to say because it's impossible to make yourself look like a rocket. at least with an operation you can look reasonably similar to the opposite sex.

You are transobjectphobic...

Look at this picture....It is not a child wearing a costume. It's a miniature space rocket.

f33cec0056d1c02a6f9684b7ab1ac5ec.jpg
Original post by CookieButter
You are transobjectphobic...

Look at this picture....It is not a child wearing a costume. It's a miniature space rocket.

f33cec0056d1c02a6f9684b7ab1ac5ec.jpg

that's a costume, the body hasn't been altered.
that's a costume, the body hasn't been altered.

:laugh:

So as long as it's in the realms of possibility to look 'reasonably similar' to something, it's acceptable to transition into that something?

What about body integrity identity disorder in general? When a body part feels alien and they want it removed?
(edited 7 years ago)
Except that's not what I was saying so good one. I was saying that why shouldn't someone who wants to be the opposite sex get the operation? They know that genetically and biologically they can't become the opposite sex, but if they might as well have if their body looks extremely similar to it.

Spoiler

I really can't see how any extreme operation like those would be preferable to keeping your healthy body parts intact and finding a another way to cope.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula

I really can't see how any extreme operation like those would be preferable to keeping your healthy body parts intact and finding a another way to cope.

Probably because you're not trans and don't suffer with dysphoria over your genitals. :holmes:
Original post by PQ
Probably because you're not trans and don't suffer with dysphoria over your genitals. :holmes:

I also don't suffer from BIID and don't want to chop any of my own limbs off but I can still point out how irrational it is to support or encourage any form of surgical amputation or self-mutilation in those cases.

What's the point you're really trying to make?

Quick Reply

Latest