Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I know that driving is an essential skill and everything, but I REALLY don't want to learn to drive. I'm nearly 18 now, and I'm struggling to get my family to understand that I don't want to, and I probably never will.

Honestly, I am too scared, both of other drivers and myself. I know I don't have the self control not to turn into oncoming traffic, even though I don't want to. I also have moments where I orget where I am, and I'm scared that that could happen while I'm driving.

also, the cost of insurance, lessons, tests and then an actual car is ridiculous in my opinion, especially when it's something I would hate to do.

has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so, how could I explain this to my family without them ignoring me as just a "stubborn teenager"?

ReputationRep:
    I am in a similar situation as you,my brother drives and everyone else in my family and I'm the only one that just doesn't want to start getting lessons.With my family every time they ask I try and change the subject of delay me getting lessons.I tell them I'm way too busy with my studies and work and I would rather focus on that than stressing over driving lessons.I just tell them I'll do them when I've finished studies or have more money,but we all know when that happens they'll have no control over me and what I do so it's just an easy way of delaying it till I'm old enough for them to leave me alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation, I just moved to London. No reasonable person expects you to drive when you live here.

I realise that might be a bit drastic for some people, though.

ReputationRep:
    Family will always be annoying sometimes XD
    Make sure you do what you want, there are obviously pros to driving, but yeah the cost is big when you are a teenager...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know that driving is an essential skill and everything, but I REALLY don't want to learn to drive. I'm nearly 18 now, and I'm struggling to get my family to understand that I don't want to, and I probably never will.

Honestly, I am too scared, both of other drivers and myself. I know I don't have the self control not to turn into oncoming traffic, even though I don't want to. I also have moments where I orget where I am, and I'm scared that that could happen while I'm driving.

also, the cost of insurance, lessons, tests and then an actual car is ridiculous in my opinion, especially when it's something I would hate to do.

has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so, how could I explain this to my family without them ignoring me as just a "stubborn teenager"?
    If they want you to drive so much, make them pay for it. They'll change their tune afterwards. If not, then hey at least you're driving for free

ReputationRep:
    I didn't learn at school and REALLY wish I did now. Life would be much easier if i had my license and now I'm older and working I'm stuck in a catch 22 where getting a better job in my sector requires a car but I don't earn enough to learn to drive. Buses and public transport are only getting mroe expensive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.